I bet we can. How many people are pinging Fedex right now???
    06-21-2010 07:58 AM
    Why would you want to do that? Then all we would hear is how fedex failed to handle Apple tracking. Have in mind that there were over 600,000+ iphones ordered on day one and lets say that each users refreshed and tried over and over again. 600,000*10= 6,000,000 in a matter of minutes. Any server(s) will go down. Most are not equipped to handle traffic like that. I dont care who you are. Apple site was very inoperable due to the flood of request.

BTW I know what Im talking about Im a system engineer I work here. BTW no I dont work for Microsoft

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft's virtual storage centre
    06-21-2010 08:09 AM
    honestly, just tracking a few hundred thousand orders is not a big deal for a web site. it wont happen
    06-21-2010 08:11 AM
    Yeah, tell that to ATT. Their **** was so bad, they took my order with a paper pad and a freakin pencil. Then they had to swipe my credit card with a carbon copy doo-joby I haven't seen in years.
    06-21-2010 08:14 AM
    AT&T took my order the same way, but I think that just tracking the packages couldn't do too much damage to the servers. The numbers are really just like a link to a page aren't they?
    06-21-2010 08:57 AM
    Yeah, but there's still a limit to the number of open ports their servers can handle. The problem with ATT's website was too many people pinging it at the same time. That's similiar to a distributed denial of service attack, basically.
    06-21-2010 08:59 AM
    wow, now Apple's tracking site is down!
    06-21-2010 09:07 AM
    tracking simple orders is not that big of a deal. Fedex literally has millions of people tracking packages. They can handle it. trust me
    06-21-2010 09:13 AM
    I know, it was just a joke... but still, I think Fedex system administrators should train ATT on how to handle things like this.
    06-21-2010 09:16 AM
    Here is a better idea of how FedEx works from an ex-employee.

Apple will print labels with assigned numbers at their facility, hence received tracking number, which is how their system operates. Phones will be loaded on semi and off-loaded at FedEx facility. At that time, the shipment will be scanned into FedEx and you will then, and only then, begin to see movement.

Just because a number is generated, they could be trucked across country from Apple distribution center to FedEx hub, so updates might not begin until the middle of the night when they hit these large centers.

FedEx has several delivery options, so if Apple wants them all to be delivered on Wed or Thurs (I keep reading different days), they can be held across the country and meet these criteria options.

And yes, FedEx is highly trained on handling these types and numbers of shipments efficiently, so the nice thing to do is NOT to try to bring down there servers which only impacts normal business activities, health needs, etc.

What a dumb idea, I wonder how ctt1wbw would feel if he was on operating table waiting for medical shipment that was held up by selfish IPhone users.
    06-21-2010 12:26 PM
    Good grief, Charlie Brown.
    06-21-2010 04:32 PM
    ctt, what web browser is that in the picture? I can't recall any browser that looks like that.
    06-21-2010 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD