I've read the supposed criteria for the upgrade pricing (contract ending this year, etc...) but still confused as to why some folks who got the 3GS around launch time are eligible for the full subsidy discount, while others are not.

I got my 3GS within the first 1-2 weeks of its launch, but according to AT&T I'm only eligible for the higher priced upgrade option and that I'm not "fully" eligible until Feb of 2011... So if I got 3GS at launch why am I not eligible?

Are there other, smaller, limitations on this offer? Saw a couple references in other threads to whether or not your monthly bill was over $100, or if it was the main line or a 2nd line. I'm on a family plan (I'm not the "main" line) that is well over $100/month.

Just curious. Haven't talked with AT&T yet or gone into a store, still deciding if I want to move up to the new phone yet or not. But there are obviously tons of current users who got the 3GS at launch and are now eligible for the full subsidy upgrade pricing, and some of these folks must be on a family plan, was wandering what others' experiences were....
    06-21-2010 12:26 AM
    Just got my 3gs two months ago. I can honestly say I feel your pain. Im past the 30 day price guarantee and my local At&t rep told me I'm stuck with paying retail. My preorder checked and gave me the 500.00 option, so heres hoping. Good luck to you.
    06-21-2010 12:32 AM
    I was stuck in your situation last year. Now that I'm a premier customer I guess, I get early upgrades.
    06-21-2010 12:36 AM
    What's a premier customer?

Really isn't a make or break deal for me, just strange that AT&T was pretty focal about offering generous upgrade plans and made a deal out of it, and yet I could not have bought the 3GS any earlier and thus should qualify. Oh well.

If I decide to upgrade I may just go into a store and talk with them, maybe it's a glitch on my account or something, certainly would not be the first time.
    06-21-2010 12:40 AM
    Any other observations from others?
    06-21-2010 10:04 PM
    This all has really made no sense. I got my 3GS last year upon launch! A few months ago it showed I was eligible for and upgrade on Nov 19th, 2010. I was all set to wait until then. Though in reality my contract would not be expiring until sometimes in 2011. Then AT&T did this 6 month roll back and when I check it said I was eligible for the upgrade now at the lowest price.

It seems that some found themselves eligible while others have not. AT&T is so screwed up right now! I am just glad I was eligible, but it isn't fair that I was and others were not.
    06-21-2010 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD