3GS+OS4=Battery Life?

Chris71

May 16, 2010
Visit site
from what I have seen in the past day the battery life seems a little better or close to being the same, glad to see it didnt get worse !

melocco

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have iTouches, not iPhones

I have 4 iTouches and upgraded two of them and both have way worse battery life. I was worried about problems, that's why I upgraded only two. I didn't upgrade my wifes cause I didn't want to hear "What's Wrong With This Thing!!" I had a full charge and didn't use it at all and left one in stand by and the other I used some. The one I didn't use died in 8 hours. The one I used some died in about 7 hours. I waited for the tone that it was dieing to stop the timer. I hope they get a fix for it. I love the features of it..

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the gold master build on my iPhone 3GS. While I don't have a specific number for you, I can tell you that the battery is much better then on 3.1.3 and the overall speed of the OS is much faster as well.

I agree, and I'm also running gm 4.0.

RyzeHD

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My Jailbroken 3GS on 3.1.2 would run through battery even on standby. I restored to iOS4 last night and I'm noticing a slight improvement in battery. Must have been my custom themes. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

NDPTAL85

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Possible Remedy

For those of you with horrible battery performance, what security do you have on your wifi networks? If its WPA2 try dropping down to WPA1. I had increased battery drain since upgrading to iOS 4 myself and dropping back to WPA1 fixed it. I know about this issue because I've had it before. iOS 3.1.3 didn't have it but I think 3.1.2 and earlier did. It comes and it goes with each update or so. Pretty annoying.

Hopefully my fix works for you guys.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
My battery life seems about the same if not a little better then it was on 3.1.3. Couple that with the OS making my 3GS faster and smoother overall and I am calling this an A+ update.

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Before updating my 3GS to iOS4 I was on 3.1.2 jailbroken and the battery easily lasted over a day. Immediately after the upgrade I switched my gmail from IMAP to Exchange. Google Sync seemed to be having server-side issues and my battery got completely drained within a few hours. I'm guessing that's because it was on the network so much retrying to fetch mail, contacts, etc.

I've since disabled my Gmail Exchange account but battery still seems to be draining faster than previous. Does anyone know if upgrading from jailbreak can have bad side-effects? I'm skeptical since things were running great while jailbroken. I'd rather not do a clean install, but will try it if nothing else helps.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Just noticed standby battery is a lot better. Went down only 5% while I was sleeping. That's about 5x better than 3.1.3...

My Jailbroken 3GS on 3.1.2 would run through battery even on standby. I restored to iOS4 last night and I'm noticing a slight improvement in battery. Must have been my custom themes. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

That's what I'm thinking... the jailbreak was using
it up. I'd wake up to 90% at times if left
unplugged.

Biopsidy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Definitely killing my battery. It's dropping about 15% every hour WITHOUT touching the device. That's with the screen off. Did a test this morning. It's horrible now.

Deepblue2uk

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Fixed my battery drainage, gone from 24 hours to 48 instantly. Just double tapped the home button and closed down all my apps. Found about 20 running.

Keep that clear and fantastic battery life.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Fixed my battery drainage, gone from 24 hours to 48 instantly. Just double tapped the home button and closed down all my apps. Found about 20 running.

Keep that clear and fantastic battery life.

A quick restart will clear them out as well.

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I noticed only 3% drain while I was sleeping... have a 3GS just got it on friday... and I think as time goes on it'll improve the battery life since its brand new.

flatlined#IM

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I also remember from reading through one of these forum's that if you leave it on a charger overnight and then take it off, use it for a few mins so it drops a little and then turn it off and put it back on the charger right away and leave it on for a few more mins it's supposed to make your battery life better.

Does anyone know anything about this? I do this and some days I notice it and other days I don't think it helps.

Thanks

pdc1

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3rd gen iTouch and I have definitely noticed higher battery usage. I took it out of the charger last night, and when I woke up it was at 55%!

One thing I did differently after iOS4 was switch to Google ActiveSync (push email). That could be causing the problem, though I am also using exchange push email for work and I didn't notice a problem with 3.1.2. I'll try disabling the gmail acount and see what happens.

NDPTAL85, home wireless is WPA1 so that's not my problem. Interesting idea though.

capeharleyguy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Originally I thought it was as good, BUT I have seen significant drops quicker when using the phone ALTHOUGH some others people noticed a fast drop when idle; I purposely checked the other night and it was at 77% when I went to bed. When I woke up and checked 8 hours later, it was at 73% so standby isn't using much juice at all.
I did do what someone else said with all the standard things of fecth vs pull, bluetooth off, etc. not a huge difference in savings.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative