Just noticed standby battery is a lot better. Went down only 5% while I was sleeping. That's about 5x better than 3.1.3...
    06-23-2010 03:40 PM
    My Jailbroken 3GS on 3.1.2 would run through battery even on standby. I restored to iOS4 last night and I'm noticing a slight improvement in battery. Must have been my custom themes. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
    06-23-2010 03:48 PM
    For those of you with horrible battery performance, what security do you have on your wifi networks? If its WPA2 try dropping down to WPA1. I had increased battery drain since upgrading to iOS 4 myself and dropping back to WPA1 fixed it. I know about this issue because I've had it before. iOS 3.1.3 didn't have it but I think 3.1.2 and earlier did. It comes and it goes with each update or so. Pretty annoying.

Hopefully my fix works for you guys.
    06-23-2010 04:08 PM
    My battery life seems about the same if not a little better then it was on 3.1.3. Couple that with the OS making my 3GS faster and smoother overall and I am calling this an A+ update.
    06-23-2010 04:14 PM
    Before updating my 3GS to iOS4 I was on 3.1.2 jailbroken and the battery easily lasted over a day. Immediately after the upgrade I switched my gmail from IMAP to Exchange. Google Sync seemed to be having server-side issues and my battery got completely drained within a few hours. I'm guessing that's because it was on the network so much retrying to fetch mail, contacts, etc.

I've since disabled my Gmail Exchange account but battery still seems to be draining faster than previous. Does anyone know if upgrading from jailbreak can have bad side-effects? I'm skeptical since things were running great while jailbroken. I'd rather not do a clean install, but will try it if nothing else helps.
    06-23-2010 05:24 PM
    battery does seem better..no official numbers though
    06-23-2010 05:40 PM
    Just noticed standby battery is a lot better. Went down only 5% while I was sleeping. That's about 5x better than 3.1.3...
    My Jailbroken 3GS on 3.1.2 would run through battery even on standby. I restored to iOS4 last night and I'm noticing a slight improvement in battery. Must have been my custom themes. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
    That's what I'm thinking... the jailbreak was using
    it up. I'd wake up to 90% at times if left
    unplugged.
    06-23-2010 05:59 PM
    Definitely killing my battery. It's dropping about 15% every hour WITHOUT touching the device. That's with the screen off. Did a test this morning. It's horrible now.
    06-23-2010 06:20 PM
    Guys is anyone even trying my solution? Its on the bottom of page 3.
    06-23-2010 07:15 PM
    Fixed my battery drainage, gone from 24 hours to 48 instantly. Just double tapped the home button and closed down all my apps. Found about 20 running.

Keep that clear and fantastic battery life.
    06-27-2010 02:50 PM
    Fixed my battery drainage, gone from 24 hours to 48 instantly. Just double tapped the home button and closed down all my apps. Found about 20 running.

Keep that clear and fantastic battery life.
    A quick restart will clear them out as well.
    06-27-2010 03:01 PM
    I noticed only 3% drain while I was sleeping... have a 3GS just got it on friday... and I think as time goes on it'll improve the battery life since its brand new.
    06-27-2010 03:40 PM
    I also remember from reading through one of these forum's that if you leave it on a charger overnight and then take it off, use it for a few mins so it drops a little and then turn it off and put it back on the charger right away and leave it on for a few more mins it's supposed to make your battery life better.

Does anyone know anything about this? I do this and some days I notice it and other days I don't think it helps.

Thanks
    06-28-2010 09:52 AM
    I have a 3rd gen iTouch and I have definitely noticed higher battery usage. I took it out of the charger last night, and when I woke up it was at 55%!

One thing I did differently after iOS4 was switch to Google ActiveSync (push email). That could be causing the problem, though I am also using exchange push email for work and I didn't notice a problem with 3.1.2. I'll try disabling the gmail acount and see what happens.

NDPTAL85, home wireless is WPA1 so that's not my problem. Interesting idea though.
    06-28-2010 11:27 AM
    Originally I thought it was as good, BUT I have seen significant drops quicker when using the phone ALTHOUGH some others people noticed a fast drop when idle; I purposely checked the other night and it was at 77% when I went to bed. When I woke up and checked 8 hours later, it was at 73% so standby isn't using much juice at all.
    I did do what someone else said with all the standard things of fecth vs pull, bluetooth off, etc. not a huge difference in savings.
    06-28-2010 12:53 PM
    So having had IOS 4 for a week I can say for sure that I am getting better battery life then I was on 3.1, standby is better as well as using less battery when making calls.
    06-28-2010 01:00 PM
    my 3g has improved battery life since 4. settings open slow, as well as calendar, but overall i'm very pleased with the upgrade.
    06-28-2010 01:07 PM
    I have a 3rd gen iTouch and I have definitely noticed higher battery usage. I took it out of the charger last night, and when I woke up it was at 55%!

One thing I did differently after iOS4 was switch to Google ActiveSync (push email). That could be causing the problem, though I am also using exchange push email for work and I didn't notice a problem with 3.1.2. I'll try disabling the gmail acount and see what happens.

NDPTAL85, home wireless is WPA1 so that's not my problem. Interesting idea though.
    Was your Exchange email already set up when you upgraded? I was having serious battery drain issues on my brand new iPhone 4, which I upgraded to. I found that once I deleted my existing Exchange account, and set it back up, battery life improved significantly.

I have read in several places that existing ActiveSync accounts will drain battery life when upgrading, with the fix being to delete them off of the iPhone and set them back up again.
    06-28-2010 01:11 PM
    I'd say battery life is about the same, if not a tiny bit worse, on my jailbroken 3GS 4.0. I installed a fresh OS and did not update. Definitely feels faster and more responsive with 4.0.
    06-28-2010 01:20 PM
    I was lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of heavy use on my 3GS running iOS3.x - getting 7 or 8 since updating to iOS4. Yay!
    06-28-2010 02:40 PM
    I dont get it. When people say the battery last all day, are you using the phone? or do you take it off the charger in the morning, put it in your pocket, make 2 or 3 phone calls, then never use it again?

I have a 32gb 3GS. Battery life sucks. I was on a plane yesterday from FL to Baltimore. 2 hr and 15 mins flight. The phone was 100% charged when I got out of my car at the airport. I didnt even take it out of my pocket except for security. When I got on the plane 90 mins later, I put it in airplane mode. dimmed the screen to 50%. no bluetooth. I was playing a game (EA Tiger Woods Golf). By the time we were told to turn off electronics (about 2 hrs after takeoff), I checked my battery. 21% remaining.
    I just got my phone at the end of Feb.
    I dont think it has ever made it through the day without re-charging.

I will be forking out the big money for an iphone4 when they restock. Since i just bought the 3Gs 4 months ago, I guess I will be paying top dollar.
    06-28-2010 03:50 PM
    Was your Exchange email already set up when you upgraded? I was having serious battery drain issues on my brand new iPhone 4, which I upgraded to. I found that once I deleted my existing Exchange account, and set it back up, battery life improved significantly.

I have read in several places that existing ActiveSync accounts will drain battery life when upgrading, with the fix being to delete them off of the iPhone and set them back up again.
    Interesting! Yes, my exchange email for work was already set up. I will check the battery drain tonight with gmail turned off, and if that isn't much different, I'll try as you suggest.

Thanks for the tip!
    06-28-2010 04:31 PM
    I will check the battery drain tonight with gmail turned off, and if that isn't much different, I'll try as you suggest.
    Well, without gmail it seemed a little better, but still drained the battery a fair bit overnight. It didn't start with a fresh charge, but it seemed like it was down around 35% which is still a lot.

Now I'm going to try removing and recreating the exchange accounts. If that doesn't work I have also seen some people have success with resetting the network settings and redoing the wifi passwords. Maybe that's next...
    06-29-2010 12:20 PM
    No complaints here! After upgrading to iOS4 battery life on my 3GS 32 GB is much improved. With moderate use, I go two days.
    06-29-2010 03:59 PM
    When I first installed the update, I thought there was a slight improvement in performance. Then I installed the os4 version of the Skype application; over the next week I found that, even on days where it just sat unused, it would die. To be clear, it was not a perceptual failing on my part; even when I was SLEEPING,the battery was draining twice as fast while the phone was idle as it did before I installed skype. Once I made the connection between the two, I deleted the skype app and performance returned to what it had been before.

Annoyingly, 9 apps had updates today, and apparently one of them has done the same thing, because in 8 hours of idleness the battery has gone from 100% when it charged (after downloading the apps) to only 40% now, and I have played no games, sent no texts, and made no phone calls during that time.
    08-10-2010 01:56 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD