Has apple said when 4.0 will be available for download? Is it midnight tomorrow, later in the week?
    06-19-2010 08:22 PM
    it'll likely come online some time in the afternoon or late morning on Monday. Last year it was 1pm. After a little while it was crazy hard to access the servers, but if you just leave your iPhone connected, press update, and it gives you an error message saying it can't access the server, just leave it and it will automatically reattempt until it makes the connection.
    06-19-2010 08:24 PM
    Its going to suck to loose my jailbreak for a few days but what the heck, i want to play with 4.0.......fortunately, installing all the jailbreak stuff is fun
    06-19-2010 08:33 PM
    No chance they publish iOS 4 secretly late Sunday evening? To avoid the peaks?
    06-20-2010 09:51 AM
    Zero chance
    06-20-2010 10:03 AM
    Its going to suck to loose my jailbreak for a few days but what the heck, i want to play with 4.0.......fortunately, installing all the jailbreak stuff is fun
    Trust me, OS4 is way better than having your phone jailbroken. It's amazing. I was floored by how smooth and fast everything is, every little thing has been improved. And app switching (for me) eliminates the need for most jailbreak programs that I loved, like biteSMS and SBSettings. I will still end up jailbreaking to get those things, but this is definitely holding me over. 4.0 is really awesome.
    06-20-2010 10:15 AM
    Well. Should I install the GM candidate today (having a 32 GB iPhone 3GS) to avoid the hanging servers tomorrow, or should I wait? iTunes 9.2 and the appropriate .ipsw files are present...
    I am terribly impatient but a bit unsure...
    06-20-2010 10:28 AM
    Since multi-tasking and some other stuff in iOS4 are disabled for the 3G, I have enough patience to wait until Thursday when I can pick up my new 4. My 3G won't be upgraded for quite some time...if ever.
    06-20-2010 10:37 AM
    ...but I have a 3GS...
    06-20-2010 10:44 AM
    Well. Should I install the GM candidate today (having a 32 GB iPhone 3GS) to avoid the hanging servers tomorrow, or should I wait? iTunes 9.2 and the appropriate .ipsw files are present...
    I am terribly impatient but a bit unsure...
    Just wait...there could be a newer build released tomorrow.
    06-20-2010 10:52 AM
    Yeah I'd say just wait. It won't be too hard to upgrade.
    06-20-2010 11:08 AM
    Thanks a lot. Bet You are right.
    06-20-2010 11:16 AM
    it'll likely come online some time in the afternoon or late morning on Monday. Last year it was 1pm. After a little while it was crazy hard to access the servers, but if you just leave your iPhone connected, press update, and it gives you an error message saying it can't access the server, just leave it and it will automatically reattempt until it makes the connection.
    Thanks- that's helpful. I am really excited to try this one! It has everything I would want or need and wouldn't even think of JB except I want to tether my iPad so I will be looking forward to the JB on the new phone when it's available. All the great reviews make it even more exciting!
    06-20-2010 11:29 AM
    ... Last year it was 1pm. ...
    1pm Eastern or Western time? This will make the h... of a difference in Europe, meaning early or late evening...
    06-20-2010 11:34 AM
    1pm Eastern or Western time? This will make the h... of a difference in Europe, meaning early or late evening...
    Eastern. So it would be like 6PM in the UK.
    06-20-2010 12:55 PM
    This is what I've been thinking, but really, I'd only lose Backgrounder and themes (that's all I've done with J/B so far).
    Trust me, OS4 is way better than having your phone jailbroken. It's amazing. I was floored by how smooth and fast everything is, every little thing has been improved. And app switching (for me) eliminates the need for most jailbreak programs that I loved, like biteSMS and SBSettings. I will still end up jailbreaking to get those things, but this is definitely holding me over. 4.0 is really awesome.
    I know we will get a new j/b for iOS4 at some point, but I wonder if S.J. won't throw some new trick to slow down the hackers?
    Tough choice for me. Stay with what I have 'til the dust settles? Or go for the new features, with whatever blessings and curses iOS4 might bring?
    06-20-2010 01:49 PM
    Eastern. So it would be like 6PM in the UK.
    Or 7PM in Cologne...
    Thanks again!
    06-20-2010 02:42 PM
    If it's 1 pm eastern, that would fit well with the regular 10 pm western (pacific or whatever) keynote time, right?
    06-20-2010 06:33 PM
    If it's 1 pm eastern, that would fit well with the regular 10 pm western (pacific or whatever) keynote time, right?
    10am, but yes. XD
    06-20-2010 06:55 PM
    10am, but yes. XD

yeye :P Not a big fan of the AM PM system anyway ;P But yeah, I'm so excited!
    06-20-2010 06:58 PM
    I would say I am excited but I have had the GM 4.0 candidate on my 3GS since it was released so. Meh. Haha
    06-20-2010 07:23 PM
    just plugged my 3GS in, obviously iOS4 isn't out yet but just noticed the picture of my 3GS now shows the iOS4 homescreen, i assume this was bundled into iTunes 9.2
    06-20-2010 11:11 PM
    My bet is on no earlier than 1pm EDT. That will be the first moment that all of the world time zones (excluding uninhabited areas) will have entered the magic day.
    06-21-2010 12:36 AM
    My bet is on no earlier than 1pm EDT. That will be the first moment that all of the world time zones (excluding uninhabited areas) will have entered the magic day.
    +1 on this one. Good logic here.
    06-21-2010 12:43 AM
    AMG's logic sounds good. Though, I would say that what happened the past two years might not come into play this time around.

They obviously realized that releasing iOS and a new phone on the same day was a bad idea, hence the three-day lead. But also notice, regardless of what problems they had, that the pre-order for iPhone 4 went on much earlier than for 3GS.

I think smart idea would be releasing it around 1:00 AM PDT to avoid the peak time, especially since literally millions of people will be accessing their servers to update.

Then again, they should have been prepared for last Tuesday, as well, let alone the disaster that was upgrading to iOS 2.0.
    06-21-2010 01:04 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD