Official switching from Android to iPhone 4 thread

khetan

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
.try searching for "SMS Backup" in the Android market.

The app doesn't work too well when you have several thousand SMS's :(

I have contracted someone from our dev team to build something that will allow me to hack the backup file SQLLite DB (3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28); I'll try it out and feedback here.

repole28

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am in need of some help, please with Android contacts!

I am switching from an Android HTC Incredible 1, to the iPhone 4. I am switching from Verizon to AT&T. My question is concerning switching over my phone contacts. On the Incredible, I have my Gmail contacts synched on the phone, including 2000+ email addresses. When I go to AT&T or Verizon to transfer my phone contacts over to the new iPhone, they are unable to do it without transferring the 2000+ email contacts too.

I've tried to transfer manually at home by exporting contacts to my SD card on the Incredible (by going to "Settings" in "Contacts" and using "Export to SD Card"). Unfortunately my SD card is broken and I am trying to avoid buying a new one.

My question is ultimately how to transfer my phone contacts only (they are about 300) from the Incredible to iPhone, without having to pay for software or a new SD card.

Thanks so much for any help or insights anyone can provide!

-Chris

My question

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you want wireless backup ? This should work but wont wireless sync with gmail to keep them updated

Export from desktop gmail to a file open it up delete the email field then import them to iPhone using iTunes

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm giving strong consideration to switching from my Droid X to an iPhone 4. I'm about a year out of an upgrade, so picking up the phone is going to be a hit to the wallet. There are a few things that I'm unsure of at the moment:

1. Does a gmail account sync through IMAP or POP?
  2. What email providers work best on the iPhone?
  3. Which email providers create the most problems?
  4. Is there a dedicated Google Voice app yet?
  5. How difficult is it to create a ringtone on a PC?
  6. Is there a way to create custom notification sounds without jailbreaking?
  7. What's the battery life for moderate use?

I think those are my main concerns that are potentially changeable. I'm not sure how I'll handle the smaller screen size. Has anyone made the switch from a Droid X or other 4.3" phone? How was it going to a smaller screen size?

Since it's not an upgrade, and there are no refunds, I'm extra anxious about throwing down money on anything, but my phone just hasn't been worth a damn since the Gingerbread update. It's time for something different.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm giving strong consideration to switching from my Droid X to an iPhone 4. I'm about a year out of an upgrade, so picking up the phone is going to be a hit to the wallet. There are a few things that I'm unsure of at the moment:

1. Does a gmail account sync through IMAP or POP?
  2. What email providers work best on the iPhone?
  3. Which email providers create the most problems?
  4. Is there a dedicated Google Voice app yet?
  5. How difficult is it to create a ringtone on a PC?
  6. Is there a way to create custom notification sounds without jailbreaking?
  7. What's the battery life for moderate use?

I think those are my main concerns that are potentially changeable. I'm not sure how I'll handle the smaller screen size. Has anyone made the switch from a Droid X or other 4.3" phone? How was it going to a smaller screen size?

Since it's not an upgrade, and there are no refunds, I'm extra anxious about throwing down money on anything, but my phone just hasn't been worth a damn since the Gingerbread update. It's time for something different.

Does a gmail account sync through IMAP or POP?

Yes, it syncs through both.

What email providers work best on the iPhone?

I have gmail, comcast, and my schools email through IMAP & they all work great.

Which email providers create the most problems?

Not that I know of.

Is there a dedicated Google Voice app yet?

Yes there is a dedicated Google Voice app free in the App Store.

How difficult is it to create a ringtone on a PC?

Audacity is a free ringtone making program for the PC but there are numerous ringtone making apps in the App Store as well. The downside is you have to import them through iTunes using either method.

Is there a way to create custom notification sounds without jailbreaking?

There is not in iOS4 but in iOS5 they have addressed this feature so you WILL be able to.

What's the battery life for moderate use?

Battery life easily gets you through an entire day. What I used to hate with my Evo4G was the battery would continue to drain without me even using it. The iP4 has much better battery management.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corey

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Does a gmail account sync through IMAP or POP?

Yes, it syncs through both.

What email providers work best on the iPhone?

I have gmail, comcast, and my schools email through IMAP & they all work great.

Which email providers create the most problems?

Not that I know of.

Is there a dedicated Google Voice app yet?

Yes there is a dedicated Google Voice app free in the App Store.

How difficult is it to create a ringtone on a PC?

Audacity is a free ringtone making program for the PC but there are numerous ringtone making apps in the App Store as well. The downside is you have to import them through iTunes using either method.

Is there a way to create custom notification sounds without jailbreaking?

There is not in iOS4 but in iOS5 they have addressed this feature so you WILL be able to.

What's the battery life for moderate use?

Battery life easily gets you through an entire day. What I used to hate with my Evo4G was the battery would continue to drain without me even using it. The iP4 has much better battery management.

Thank you for the answers. Is there anything from your Evo that you miss that you are unable to replicate/replace on an iPhone?

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just switched from a galaxy note. Luv the build quality and screen res. Still getting use to the size but fits in the pocket better.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW