Official switching from BlackBerry to iPhone 4 thread

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
After overthinking it for a while I finally MADE the decision to switch to iPhone. But there are a few questions left on how I'm gonna do that!

1. Should I switch NOW to i4 or wait for the i5 (the i4 is currently on sale at my carrier and I'm not sure for how long). That being asked...

2. ... will die i5 probably be a major upgrade (hardware wise) or more like when the i3g was updated to i3gs?

3. If I choose the i4, will iOS5 run on it?

4. I heard Apple might release an 8GB i4. Which sounds nice to me since it obviously will be cheaper, BUT - is 8GB enough? I know it depends on the user - all I can say is I will probably enjoy the huuuuge choice on apps (remember, I come from BlackBerry *g*) and load alot (at least initially). I also use it pretty much for pics and videos and it will also be my iPod (as I sold my old Nano) and I like to have MUCH music on board!

As you can see budget is a factor for me. Just can't spend too much money on a smartphone currently.

That's it so far... I know not all questions can't be answered directly but maybe you can tell a bit from your experiences and help me with my choice.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After overthinking it for a while I finally MADE the decision to switch to iPhone. But there are a few questions left on how I'm gonna do that!

1. Should I switch NOW to i4 or wait for the i5 (the i4 is currently on sale at my carrier and I'm not sure for how long). That being asked...

2. ... will die i5 probably be a major upgrade (hardware wise) or more like when the i3g was updated to i3gs?

3. If I choose the i4, will iOS5 run on it?

4. I heard Apple might release an 8GB i4. Which sounds nice to me since it obviously will be cheaper, BUT - is 8GB enough? I know it depends on the user - all I can say is I will probably enjoy the huuuuge choice on apps (remember, I come from BlackBerry *g*) and load alot (at least initially). I also use it pretty much for pics and videos and it will also be my iPod (as I sold my old Nano) and I like to have MUCH music on board!

As you can see budget is a factor for me. Just can't spend too much money on a smartphone currently.

That's it so far... I know not all questions can't be answered directly but maybe you can tell a bit from your experiences and help me with my choice.

1.) lol...are you really asking people online which phone YOU should buy based on your own personal needs? Do some research, make your own decision.

2.) Nobody knows...there is no iPhone 5 (or whatever you want to call it) right now...no specs, no info, no nothing.

3.) Yes, iOS 5 will run on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

4.) How could another person tell YOU if 8GB is enough storage space for YOU? For me personally it isn't, but i also have over 4,000 songs on my iPhone, hundreds of pictures, dozens of videos and movies, tons of apps, probably 50+ games, 75 or so ringtones...so no, an 8GB iPhone would not be good for me. Would it be good for you? Who the hell knows!?

...best advice i can give you is do some research yourself, think about how much stuff you're going to store on the thing, and make your own choice on which phone you want...and also, wait until there are some official releases before you start asking for facts about a phone that hasn't even come out yet.

dcnpatience

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Longtime BB and iPhone user now on iPhone 4

Just a quick intro note ...

I've been using BlackBerrys for years now, but many of my colleagues have been longtime iPhone users.

Last year I spent six months alternating between a BlackBerry Bold 9700 and an iPhone 3GS, but stuck with BlackBerry because of the physical keyboard.

Along came the BlackBerry Torch, which I bought on the day it was released and have really enjoyed since February. However, I have come to realize that for all that I prefer the physical keyboard, about 98% of what I use my phone for is better on the iPhone.

I've also posted a very specific calendar / MS Outlook issue in another thread, but for now I look forward to hanging out in the forums and learning as I have been doing for years over at CrackBerry!

NegroNapoleon

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
How do you all handle not being able to delete message from the handheld and leave it on the server like on BB, on the iPhone?

Last edited:

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I ditched my BB Storm 2 last September. Just had my one year anniversary with my iPhone & I'm still in love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RomeyyRomeee

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey, first post on these forums!

I just switched back to an iPhone4 from the new Torch 9810.

Honestly I loved everything about the new Torch, and I'm gonna miss the LED light, keyboard, and BBM.

The only reason I switched is because the apps on my Macbook work and sync a lot better with the iPhone.

Gonna miss my Blackberry, but I'm looking forward to my iPhone days!

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean? :confused: I delete emails from my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 all the time.

He means delete email on the device but leave it on the server (Exchange Server more than likely). At least if I recall the other thread where this topic was "discussed."

It's a limitation of the email system in general. BlackBerry was not a true Exchange ActiveSync client or IMAP client. It had a server component (BIS/BES) that did the retrieving of email from the mail server and then the delivery of said email to the device, so there is a disconnect from the mail server; it's not a direct connection from device to mail server.

I think it's safe to say that this does not bother the majority of iPhone users, at least to point it does NN. I have had an Exchange ActiveSync device of some flavor since they were introduced (E2k3, SP2), so I'm well aware of how the client device and server interact. If the not being able to delete email from the phone but still keep it on the server (and POP3 is not an option), then BlackBerry may be better suited for you. This is the great thing about all this. We have choices. :)

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
After 1 year w 14 i just went back to blackberry bold 9930. I miss some things about the i 4 but i luv this new bb bold. Just 2 apps i miss but i couldnt handle att and dropped calls anymore. I talk 3000 mins a month and email a ton...bb does them way better. I miss the browser of ios and that killer screen. camera is better also on i4....

I hope I5 is thinner lighter and I might go back some day. I jailbroke my i4 which made it kick arse for productivity so i don tbuy into the iphone is a toy that bb fanboys say. With out jailbreak i agree, too boring and annoyingly locked down by apple.

Wish i could afford both!!!

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are on verizon, use the backup assistant app...that will ensure no duplicates show up. I used Outlook to sync my bb stuff to my iphone and that worked like a charm.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
He means delete email on the device but leave it on the server (Exchange Server more than likely). At least if I recall the other thread where this topic was "discussed."

It's a limitation of the email system in general. BlackBerry was not a true Exchange ActiveSync client or IMAP client. It had a server component (BIS/BES) that did the retrieving of email from the mail server and then the delivery of said email to the device, so there is a disconnect from the mail server; it's not a direct connection from device to mail server.

I think it's safe to say that this does not bother the majority of iPhone users, at least to point it does NN. I have had an Exchange ActiveSync device of some flavor since they were introduced (E2k3, SP2), so I'm well aware of how the client device and server interact. If the not being able to delete email from the phone but still keep it on the server (and POP3 is not an option), then BlackBerry may be better suited for you. This is the great thing about all this. We have choices. :)

I made the switch from a 9650 to the VZW iPhone 4 this weekend, and I couldn't be happier. Regarding the point above....It all works fine for me. For my Yahoo email, I can move it to folders on device, which is real nice. For my work e-mail (outlook), I am a packrat....usually on a weekly basis, I move mails (via my laptop/outlook) to personal subfolders prior to backing up my mail database. This has the net effect of "deleting off the handheld", but leaving on the server.

mintyvintage

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Whatsapp

Hello! i just changed from Blackberry 9700 to iPhone4s.
Wondering if anyone knows whether the Whatsapp that i purchased on my BB can be "transferred" to my iPhone without having to buy the app again?

Thank you!

CT9AJ

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a T-Mobile 9900, switched to iPhone today. BAD first impression. I'm taking the phone back tomorrow, it doesn't charge and it restarts every 5 minutes. No idea what is wrong with it but I want a replacement. :(

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello! i just changed from Blackberry 9700 to iPhone4s.
Wondering if anyone knows whether the Whatsapp that i purchased on my BB can be "transferred" to my iPhone without having to buy the app again?

Thank you!
no u cant!

but whatsapp becomes free from time to time on the app store. download it when its free next ! or buy it..

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73