Official switching from BlackBerry to iPhone 4 thread

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
On September 24th, I made the switch from an AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9700 to an Apple iPhone 4. I haven't regretted it once. I loved my BlackBerry's amazing keyboard, and I had it memorize to where I could type without looking at the phone.

But, the BlackBerry's lack of app support and buggy interface (Wi-Fi didn't like to connect, etc.) did me in. And, my iPhone 4 does push email for both personal (Gmail) and school (Exchange) accounts just fine.

More than likely you will become faster at typing on the iPhone than your former BB like 99% of us did when we switched over. :)

Purple4

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
My son got the iphone 3. I played with his for a while and decided to upgrade from the BB9700 to the iphone 4 best thing I could have done.

Kteacher

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So many questions

I have a BB tour and am researching going to the iPhone but have questions about transferring the data. My scenario is this:

-I can only use BIS and not BES at work
-I use the desktop manager to sync calendar and contacts daily at work
-my iTunes account is on my home computer and can't be accessed at work

How will I get all of my BB information transferred to the iPhone? When I bought a new BB the last time, the transfer from BB to BB was obviously easy.

Is iTunes the syncing mechanism for iPhones?

Thanks for any help you can give before I make my purchase and make the switch.

c0rinne

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You could always download google sync (or any of the other sync apps that are out there) sync your bb to google and then use google to sync on your iphone.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same setup.

My plan is to use MobileMe. I have an act for my Ipad that my office pays. Keeps my contacts and calendar synced OTA with a small program that runs in the taskbar(computer stays on all the time). Then ill just pull my email to the Iphone. Then, like my Ipad, I only sync apps and music at home.

I dont know if MobileMe is an option for you, but on fist sync it will send both calendar and contacts to the "cloud" then sync with Iphone. pretty simple if you dont mind the extra $99 a year.

Last edited:

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to get the VZW iPhone 4, I currently have a BB Bold 9650.

I wirelessly sync my email, contacts, and calendar between my BB and gmail. Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to have the same set-up with the iPhone 4?

I just recently started using the wireless sync and I really like it. I had been syncing through BB's Desktop Manager (BIS) and MS Outlook (not Exchange), but that didn't allow wireless sync. I don't want to lose the wireless sync ability.

TIA.

xDAKx

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to get the VZW iPhone 4, I currently have a BB Bold 9650.

I wirelessly sync my email, contacts, and calendar between my BB and gmail. Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to have the same set-up with the iPhone 4?

I just recently started using the wireless sync and I really like it. I had been syncing through BB's Desktop Manager (BIS) and MS Outlook (not Exchange), but that didn't allow wireless sync. I don't want to lose the wireless sync ability.

TIA.

I have my Gmail account setup with Push and syncing of Calendars and Contacts (as well as notes) seems to work just fine, If your like me and relied heavily on Push for email, You will notice (at least I did) a slight delay in receiving email on your iPhone even with Push enabled, it's not totally instantaneous as it is on your 9650, however it does begin to be less noticeable over time, and enabling an hourly "Pull" from your account helps considerably.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
More than likely you will become faster at typing on the iPhone than your former BB like 99% of us did when we switched over. :)

Correct! I can type just as quickly an efficiently on the iPhone as on the BB after having my iPhone for four months now. :)

Sent from iPhone Tapatalk

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching after 10 yrs. Using my wife's upgrade because she is happy with her Droid. If I don't like it, MY upgrade is ready in 6 months and the BB S3 should be out by then and I'll switch back.

My S2 screen is smashed and I'm NOT paying $90 for a refurbished ancient and obsolete phone! My biggest reason for switching to iphone is that it is now on VZW. Been with them for 20 years and I wasn't going to change carriers.

(10th post yet?....darn!)

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
For all of those people who moved from a bb to the iphone4, how do you accomplish the push email? I have a personal gmail account and a work google apps email account and need the push for my work email. Can it be done? I'm trying to read up on this but there is no clear cut way to do it? I also use google sync to sync my google apps calendar but not contacts.

TIA!

saintofsteel

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
For all of those people who moved from a bb to the iphone4, how do you accomplish the push email? I have a personal gmail account and a work google apps email account and need the push for my work email. Can it be done? I'm trying to read up on this but there is no clear cut way to do it? I also use google sync to sync my google apps calendar but not contacts.

TIA!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but try this link.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Reactions: kazmi

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
^^ Thanks, I did see that before and will look into it in more detail...I had some more questions, I apologize if this isn't the right place for them - how many email addresses can I set up on the iPhone? Does email from different addresses come into one unified inbox? And when I reply to email from an address, do I need to specify the "send as" address or will the OS identify automatically and send from the correct one?

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
^^ Thanks, I did see that before and will look into it in more detail...I had some more questions, I apologize if this isn't the right place for them - how many email addresses can I set up on the iPhone? Does email from different addresses come into one unified inbox? And when I reply to email from an address, do I need to specify the "send as" address or will the OS identify automatically and send from the correct one?

I dunno how many emails you can have, but it's a lot. Yes to the unified inbox, and the OS will send your reply from whichever email the first email was sent to :)

Reactions: kazmi

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
^^ great, thanks for all the helpful replies! I also remember reading somewhere that I will need to jailbreak and install an app to be able to attach custom signatures for each email address? For example, my personal email sig isn't really a big deal but I have 2 work email addresses that need different signatures..is this correct or will iOS handle this natively?

Heavy Fluid

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch. Twice now, and this time I think I am here to stay. Went to AT&T for the iPhone 4 for myself and my wife, from a BlackBerry on Verizon. It lasted a month for me, and I sold my iPhone 4 and got a 9700 Bold. My wife kept her 4, and loves it to this day. I grew tired of BlackBerry and longed for something that showed media a little better, along with a better browsing experience. I ended up with a white 32gb 3GS that is working nicely for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro