This is something I have been debating heavily over the past couple days. When Apple announced you could buy an unlocked device from them for the full price, at least in Canada, I really do not know what I should do. Help me decide what to get. I will be getting a 32gb black version either way.
    06-19-2010 01:49 AM
    I've been debating this too...

I don't have the money to buy it unlocked myself but maybe I can get my boyfriend to do it >: )
    Being cute and gay works really well for me sometimes. LOL
    06-19-2010 01:55 AM
    Ya. The thing is. How long do I want to be with Rogers for. And I don't see the point of really getting it unlocked as I will upgrade each year, and by this time in a couple years, completely free of my robbers contract. I think I will just use my upgrade and get it for whatever that price may be.
    06-19-2010 02:21 AM
    But the unlocked version will have higher resell value because of the versatility. It's worth more in the long run.
    06-19-2010 03:34 AM
    But the unlocked version will have higher resell value because of the versatility. It's worth more in the long run.
    Yes, this is true. But to me, resell value means nothing. I will probably keep my 3GS and my 4 when the iPhone 5 comes out and what not.
    06-19-2010 09:37 AM
    thats a good point

I'm gonna buy unlocked too will help with resale and means I can sell after a year if I want to or when the nest one is out

a quick question - how will I get iPhone updates if I buy unlocked, will I get them direct from apple or do I have to tell my carrier I am using an iPhone on their network
    06-19-2010 10:37 AM
    a quick question - how will I get iPhone updates if I buy unlocked, will I get them direct from apple or do I have to tell my carrier I am using an iPhone on their network
    iPhone updates are never sent through a carrier or Apple. They are released and installed directly through iTunes. You'll just update it through iTunes like everyone else.
    06-19-2010 10:51 AM
    Man. Why is this so hard. I can't come to a decision. The problem is I don't feel like paying 800 bucks for a phone. But yet, love the idea of unlocked. I think I will hold out until next years version to go unlocked. Then I will be 2 years through my Rogers contract and can buy out of it for a lower price.
    06-19-2010 11:21 AM
    I'm of two minds on this, I have bought my last two iPhones for full price because I don't have a data plan on my account. I'm 90% of my day in Wifi so don't see why I need to pay extra for something I wont use that often. However whether I buy the unlocked or carrier phone I wont be switching from Fido, been with them for over 10 years. So either way I buy the phone I'm going to be paying my bill at the end of the month for the next 3 years and beyond so why not get something out of the deal? Why not get them to subsidize the phone?
    06-20-2010 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD