So I'm one of the lucky 600,000 that reserved an iPhone 4 for launch day. Once I get the new phone I want to sell my iPhone 3G on eBay. I know I will need to do a full Restore through iTunes to wipe all my data from the phone and revert it to it's original state (is that all I need to do to ensure any and all of my data is wiped) but anything else I need to do? Do I yank the SIM card as well and have the buyer insert their own?

Any tips on this would be appreciated. 6 More Days!!
    06-18-2010 03:13 PM
    List it today on a 7 day listing.
    Take your SIM out,
    and to get it sold be as specific as you can and make sure you tell people about any scratches
    06-18-2010 03:27 PM
    List it today on a 7 day listing.
    Take your SIM out,
    and to get it sold be as specific as you can and make sure you tell people about any scratches
    Yep agreed .. Soild info ...

Fresh1
    Last edited by fresh1; 06-18-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    06-18-2010 03:29 PM
    The condition of the phone is actually my prime selling feature.

It's been in a Candy Shell case with a screen protector on it since the moment I took it out of the box. The thing is in mint condition!

Thanks!
    06-18-2010 03:29 PM
    Ya, biggest thing is be honest with any potential customers. Try and make yours stand out, I am sure there will be numerous ads for iPhones. I am fortunate enough to have friends who all want to buy my 3GS and soon as the iPhone 4 comes out.
    06-18-2010 03:36 PM
    My 3Gs that I listed earlier today is already $200 with a week to go ! Im happy for anything over $350 .
    And Hoping to get at least $150 for 3G 8GB.
    06-18-2010 03:47 PM
    I would also go into Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings. I'm not sure about the SIM card. My inclination would be to keep it and let them get another.
    06-18-2010 03:50 PM
    I sold my 3G (jailbroken and unlocked) on ebay last year, and it was a nightmare. The purchaser decided that he didn't want it, and PayPal let him keep his money. Fortunately, He returned it to me in the same condition, but I was worried that I'd get an empty box, a different phone, or mine would be damaged. I was on pins and needles for a while. I know that others have had great success on ebay, but it'll be a while before I try that again. I just sold my 3G on Gazelle for $147, and I'm getting $283 for my 3GS from them.

Good luck!
    06-18-2010 03:58 PM
    Would you get more money for selling a phone jailbroken and unlocked?
    06-18-2010 04:23 PM
    Yes. A few people on craigslist have offered me more money if I would jailbreak it for them.
    06-18-2010 04:43 PM
    Make sure you are honest about it's condition. Take good photos if there is a scratch or marks so people can see. Offer a choice of OS, buyer can keep 3.1.X or you will upgrade it to OS 4.0 for them. After you know what OS they want restore it with iTunes as new and then remove the SIM card. Then ship.
    06-18-2010 05:15 PM
    Sold my 3g on eBay last year for $385.00 (jailbroken and unlocked) was in mint condition with everything (even paperwork and stickers) that came with it when bought. No headaches at all with the sale.

I have my 3gs on eBay right now in mint condition with everything is came with plu my modified otterbox case. It's at $299 with a day to go (3 day auction as anything longer just gets lost in the shuffle of a billion iPhones. hoping to push $450 this year bu anything above $342 is gravy.

The keys to a good sale are:

Talk it up! Make it appealing

great pictures, a as many as you can out up

unlock and jailbreak (repeat unlocked a couple times in the description)

have a good eBay rating

ship internationally (won't get bubkus otherwise).

Once the sale is over, restore, jailbreak, unlock, ship (remember to not sync to backup after restore)
    06-18-2010 05:17 PM
    I would love to sell mine...but it's on the pass down program. Husband gets my current 3GS, kids get his (my old) 3G. Next phone, same pass down pattern so each kid can have an old phone to use as a touch. My 3GS is an awesome condition-mainly because it's my 3d one-I've taken them back to Apple for new ones at the first sign of a gray stress crack.
    06-18-2010 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD