iOS 4 on the 3GS

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
hey TiPb!! Just wanted to share my thoughts about using iOS 4 on my 3GS, and to see if you all have experienced similar things. After installing iOS 4, I notice an amazing speed increase with activities like loading web pages over wifi and 3G and launching programs. I can't believe how fast I can move between apps and how quickly web pages render. The colors also seem much more rich in iOS 4 vs. iOS 3. My wallpapers and app icons really pop. I was at best buy today and held my iphone to the one they had on the display running the previous OS and the color difference was amazing. The only negative thing about iOS 4 I've noticed is if you point safari to apple's website and try to customize a macbook, the browser hangs horribly, and sometimes will crash. Other then that, it's a really stellar update so for those of you still waiting,

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
App switching is really amazing, once the third party apps are optimized for multitasking app loading is going to be soo fast not only in the default apps but also in twitter, Facebook, etc...

Re: colours, actually I noticed the icons look a lot less saturated in iOS4... It's kind of weird and off-putting. Maybe it depends on the batch of 3GS you have..

It's something I'm willing to put up with though, app-switching really is amazing, especially for quick access to settings... And all the animations including rotation in the browser are soooooo buttery smooth!!

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
App switching is really amazing, once the third party apps are optimized for multitasking app loading is going to be soo fast not only in the default apps but also in twitter, Facebook, etc...

Re: colours, actually I noticed the icons look a lot less saturated in iOS4... It's kind of weird and off-putting. Maybe it depends on the batch of 3GS you have..

It's something I'm willing to put up with though, app-switching really is amazing, especially for quick access to settings... And all the animations including rotation in the browser are soooooo buttery smooth!!

going to sound stupid here, but I have to ask. Jello, have you noticed that when you go to mail (btw, I have my mobile me and my gmail set up) and you are viewing all inboxes, and you slide from right to left on a message it no longer says "delete" but "archive"? Where is the message being archived exactly? I have yet to figure it out.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
going to sound stupid here, but I have to ask. Jello, have you noticed that when you go to mail (btw, I have my mobile me and my gmail set up) and you are viewing all inboxes, and you slide from right to left on a message it no longer says "delete" but "archive"? Where is the message being archived exactly? I have yet to figure it out.

Mine still says "delete".

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine sometimes says Archive and then sometimes Delete...that is frustrating but I can deal with it. I am running iOS4 on my 3G right now with all features working and it does run nicely. The 3G obviously hesitates a little bit when having a lot of items in the "task switcher" if you will but since nothing other than Apple Apps are multitasking it hasnt slowed too bad. The colors are for sure way better than previously it does pop a lot more. So far I love iOS4 and can't wait to have it on my iPhone 4 with A4 chip and bettery battery!!!!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine still says delete! Never seen it say Archive.

Anyone else noticed icons looking a little less saturated? It's particularly noticeable on the Photos icon.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This is off by default, but check here:

706cb4f2.jpg

ryanwmurray

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
This might sound like a dumb question, but how are you able to download iOS 4? On the Apple Canada site it's still got that little tab in the upper right hand corner saying "Coming Soon." Is it risky to download the iOS 4 from a third party?

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I do some freelance work for a Apple Developer is how I got access. Theres other ways to do it but thats the most legitimate way. Just wait, its only a few more days now!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This might sound like a dumb question, but how are you able to download iOS 4? On the Apple Canada site it's still got that little tab in the upper right hand corner saying "Coming Soon." Is it risky to download the iOS 4 from a third party?

You can torrent it easily, but with iOS4 launch a handful of days away and there *may* be slight differences between what's out there and what will be out there Monday, I'd wait.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
My observations:

1. Battery life is worse
2. Notes app some times forgets your edits- oops! Drove me nuts with my weekly shopping list last weekend
3. Camera takes pictures really quickly (delay for shutter click animation and photo shrink to preview icon on bottom toolbar animation)
4. Contour view in Navigon doesn't work (the new view that was a $10 in-app purchase)
5. Folders are nice.
6. Task-switching is nice. Can't wait for iOS4-compatible 3rd party apps for some real fast-task switching (and backgrounding for Navigon and Skype).

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My observations:

1. Battery life is worse
2. Notes app some times forgets your edits- oops! Drove me nuts with my weekly shopping list last weekend
3. Camera takes pictures really quickly (delay for shutter click animation and photo shrink to preview icon on bottom toolbar animation)
4. Contour view in Navigon doesn't work (the new view that was a $10 in-app purchase)
5. Folders are nice.
6. Task-switching is nice. Can't wait for iOS4-compatible 3rd party apps for some real fast-task switching (and backgrounding for Navigon and Skype).

Yes its definately worse on 4.0

2sonmike

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi! First post for me, and unfortunately, it's a dumb question! I put ios4 on my phone(3g). No problems until the end when itunes asked me if I wanted to set it as a new phone, or restore it from back up. Well, I hit back up, and now I have version 4, but no utilities folder! I do have a new calc logo, and game center, but otherwise, it looks just like my old set up. Should I try installing ver. 4 again, or just leave it alone? Thanks, and sorry for the long post!!