Official ?I survived iPhone 4 pre-order day? thread

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Phew. What a crazy iPhone 4 pre-order day! The Apple Online store went up and came down ? again and again. No white iPhone 4 were available. Apple?s new Apple Store app for iPhone came out, and promptly had iPhone pre-ordering removed from its functionality. AT&T managed to disrupt service to the extent people couldn?t even complete the ordering process (or even got their account compromised). Not that the TiPb nation stopped trying.

Now as day turns to night, AT&T is sold out, other carriers out-to-lunch (since they?re too busy to announce plans, they must be?), we found out international iPhone 4 could now be had unlocked, and we?re once again rendered near exhausted by Apple?s pre-event events, we turn the comments over to you.

Celebrate, commiserate, laugh, cry, regale us with your war stories and battle scars, or just mellow out and chat the night away. You?ve earned it.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm still without internet at home since Saturday. The one good thing about today was that I was able to do my pre-order via the Apple store app, and will be able to pick up my iPhone 4 when I'm in Orlando on the 24th.

Anyone else going to the Florida Mall?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm embarrassed for AT&T and Apple today. Two huge companies and this is what happens? Oh well it is amazing though that it was AT&Ts biggest day in history. More proof that the Droids are NOT taking over anything anytime soon!

I got my phone coming to my house via apple.com! 9 more days!!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm embarrassed for AT&T and Apple today. Two huge companies and this is what happens? Oh well it is amazing though that it was AT&Ts biggest day in history. More proof that the Droids are NOT taking over anything anytime soon!

I got my phone coming to my house via apple.com! 9 more days!!

They prepared based on expected numbers, they had no idea how insane it would be, and even if they did there is only so much the servers can take. Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter (which basically only shares TEXT) fail often, and they are the biggest websites on the internet.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Moments like this makes me glad to own apple & suppliers stock, wow! That aside, a year to prepare and this was the best att could do? What happened to all those postponed vacations? Dealing with att staff is sobering experience. I was able to place my order at my local att store and within an hour, I received an email confirmation.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Definately a blow to AT&T and Apple, but they'll get over it. As jello said, even Facebook and Twitter crash. It all seems to be working fine now since the initial gold rush has subsided. I am glad that Best Buy and Radio Shack got a slap on the wrist for selling pre-orders for white iPhones from Apple. Clowns. They should know better. Hopefully there are some white iPhones delivered on launch to some, but I would think they would come from Apple or AT&T first.

I haven't heard one thing about Walmart. I find that funny.

For the record, I ordered a 32 gig black iQuattro. It took me all damn day and finally got it about two hours ago. :mad: I wonder if they'll let me change my mind to a 16 gig when I get there. Probably not.;)

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I got mine through ATT at about 5:15 AM EST. Thanks to BrianT and clg82 for suffering through the night with me!!!

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
If y'all think this was bad...wait till the 24th! The activation servers are gonna fry. They went down last year, and this is a much bigger upgrade. It's gonna get ugly. I started about 7:00am and tried to preorder until about 4:00pm when it finally went through on apple's site.

CHiRS

Sep 24, 2008
chrislae.posterous.com
:) Ok, I'm a happy camper! So here's how my day began:

-Woke up at 4am Pacific Time. Got onto Apple.com and the infamous "We'll Be Back..." sticky was up.

-Kept trying for 2hrs. Finally got in to reserve my i4...only to have it time out on me.

-Downloaded the Apple Store app only to have it crash on me alllll dayyyy long.

-Got off work at 5pm Pacific time and went straight to an Apple store.

-BOOM!!!! Within 5min, I now have a 32GB iPhone 4 reserved :) :) :)

-About 5min after that, I got my confirmation email....

I'll sleep well tonight....I hope. I wish I could wake up tomorrow and have it be the 24th :D

Last edited:

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I got mine through ATT at about 5:15 AM EST. Thanks to BrianT and clg82 for suffering through the night with me!!!

LOL isn't that the truth, it was fun reading about all three of our experiences throughout the morning.....poor brian had to work today though......I don't think I could sit at my desk trying to preorder all day, my day is crazy enough! Any how I started trying to get a pre-order at 2 a.m. this morning and didn't get thru until 8:30 a.m. was it worth it? I don't know we'll see!:cool:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
LOL isn't that the truth, it was fun reading about all three of our experiences throughout the morning.....poor brian had to work today though......I don't think I could sit at my desk trying to preorder all day, my day is crazy enough! Any how I started trying to get a pre-order at 2 a.m. this morning and didn't get thru until 8:30 a.m. was it worth it? I don't know we'll see!:cool:

lol yup up at 2...sat around till 330 trying and trying....went to bed...back up at 345 when site came back up....gave up when it wouldnt work at 4am...slept till 6am then tried again no luck...called att twice no luck...decided to check my shopping cart and boom 2 iPhone 4s!!! i made it out the door at 718 right on time for work! so I'm running on 4ish hours of sleep and still kicking!

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
If y'all think this was bad...wait till the 24th! The activation servers are gonna fry. They went down last year, and this is a much bigger upgrade. It's gonna get ugly. I started about 7:00am and tried to preorder until about 4:00pm when it finally went through on apple's site.

I thought we just plug it in and that is how it activates.....i'm assuming that if all of us iphone lovers try to activate at the same time that would cause a problem....I like the thread that someone on here started that said, if everyone on our forum could quit trying to order so I could pre-order mine I would appreciate it....that gave me a chuckle....and believe me (ask my wife) that was the only time I was laughing between cussing and passing out at my desk :)

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I used my work email that i don't have access to here at home for my preorder. I am going to be soooooo disapointed if their isn't an email in there from ATT in the morning.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
lol yup up at 2...sat around till 330 trying and trying....went to bed...back up at 345 when site came back up....gave up when it wouldnt work at 4am...slept till 6am then tried again no luck...called att twice no luck...decided to check my shopping cart and boom 2 iPhone 4s!!! i made it out the door at 718 right on time for work! so I'm running on 4ish hours of sleep and still kicking!

Brian my friend you just described my morning lol minus the shopping cart part:rolleyes:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I thought we just plug it in and that is how it activates.....i'm assuming that if all of us iphone lovers try to activate at the same time that would cause a problem....I like the thread that someone on here started that said, if everyone on our forum could quit trying to order so I could pre-order mine I would appreciate it....that gave me a chuckle....and believe me (ask my wife) that was the only time I was laughing between cussing and passing out at my desk :)

lol i was quite rude to my wife thanks to the servers....i had some appologies to make lol but all went well with that...

i have to call at&t the day i get my phone cause its linked to my wifes # and i need it to be put onto my # so that should be a fun hour long wait im betting.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods