Using family member's upgrade and switching the number to mine???

tman145

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was not eligible for an upgrade, buy my mom's line was. I used her upgrade to pre-order the iphone 4. When it arrives in the store, will they be able to switch it over to my phone without problems??? The receipt and online says that if it will be used for a different line, both phones need to be present in order to change the number. I don't live anywhere near my mom...does anyone know if they can change the iphone 4 to work with my number even if my mom is not present at the time??? Thanks in advance...

tman145

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i did it last year for the 3gs. att said i could.

Ok cool, I've already pre-ordered it on my mom's line.

I'm still a little worried about the sim card. Since the new iphone uses a different sim card, it will come pre-configured for my mom's phone number. Can att reprogram the sim or will they have extra micro-sim cards available???

Thanks...

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
They can reprogram it,,,,, however I hope you DO know that your mom will be on an iPhone plan now for 2 years,,,,

tman145

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
They can reprogram it,,,,, however I hope you DO know that your mom will be on an iPhone plan now for 2 years,,,,

What do you mean she will be on an iphone plan?

I used her upgrade to get my 3GS as well and she isn't on any kind of an iphone plan (data or otherwise). She uses a motorola razr and doesn't have any iphone/smartphone plan in connection with her phone line. Can you please explain what you mean?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I used my wifes upgrade for my iPhone 4 and AT&T said all they got to do is put the IMEI # onto my phone line and it was easy and they can do it for sure. So no worries man!

tman145

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
no problem! i plan on calling AT&T first to try and do the switch from home and if not I have an AT&T store close enough so either way I'll be fine!

Yeah, hopefully they can fix that for you over the phone. I have no choice but to go into the store. I'm doing the pre-order and 3GS exchange (bought 3GS May 8) so the new phone has to be shipped to the store. I'll just have someone there change it over to my phone line.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm doing the same. Preordered with Apple for home delivery. I've heard you need to call AT&T before you activate the phone with iTunes or else you'll nuke your mom's phone.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Since you upgraded her line and since she is signing for a two year contract to get a discounted price on iPhone , she will have to pay the additional $30/m iPhone dataplan for two years. Even if she isn't using the iPhone and you get to use it.

tman145

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since you upgraded her line and since she is signing for a two year contract to get a discounted price on iPhone , she will have to pay the additional $30/m iPhone dataplan for two years. Even if she isn't using the iPhone and you get to use it.

I don't think that's correct. I did the same thing on my blackberry a while back. Same when I got my 3GS. My mom or anyone else in my family whose line I used to upgrade never had any sort of data plan. So what your saying is that because I used her upgrade for my 3GS about a month ago, she is currently paying $30/month for data. That's not correct because she has no data plan currently. :confused:

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
If you don't sign up for an iPhone data plan then you will not pay the lowest $199/$299 for 16GB/32GB.

Last year my line wasn't elgible. I couldve paid $599 for my 3GS or use my wifes line and get it for $299 with two year contract on her line with an iPhone data plan.

tman145

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you don't sign up for an iPhone data plan then you will not pay the lowest $199/$299 for 16GB/32GB.

Last year my line wasn't elgible. I couldve paid $599 for my 3GS or use my wifes line and get it for $299 with two year contract on her line with an iPhone data plan.

On the receipt for my 3GS, it shows my mom's line and then DELETED DATA PLAN IPHONE, DELETED Data Unlimited, etc. So they probably signed her up to initially get the discounted price, but nothing was kept and she was never charged for any type of data plan...

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Then you're very lucky. Since the whole idea of the subsidized pricing is for iPhone to get the difference in form of monthly payments.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm doing the same. Preordered with Apple for home delivery. I've heard you need to call AT&T before you activate the phone with iTunes or else you'll nuke your mom's phone.

thats what i was planning on! my wife wanted me to let her use it for a bit then switch i said no way haha.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Then you're very lucky. Since the whole idea of the subsidized pricing is for iPhone to get the difference in form of monthly payments.
Yes but the other line gets the data plan. They don't really care who gets the data plan as long as someone gets the data plan. AT&T won't let you use an iPhone on their network without a data plan. Anyway, in my case my wife's line is an iPhone so already has a data plan.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Dyvim. But if the other line already has a data plan then it defeats the purpose.

This means people could have extra lines for $10 a months and use them for upgrades and by multiple iPhones for $199 and resell them all for $800 a piece.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I guess we'll see what happens on the 24th...
Seems like a lot of people did it last year without issues. Anyway my wife and I both have iPhones with data plans. She's due for an upgrade. Why should AT&T care which line the new phone gets used on?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I guess we'll see what happens on the 24th...
Seems like a lot of people did it last year without issues. Anyway my wife and I both have iPhones with data plans. She's due for an upgrade. Why should AT&T care which line the new phone gets used on?

Thats different since you BOTH have data plans.... I did the same last year. When I bought a 3GS under my wifes elgible line, They automatically added the data plan to hers.
Apple/ATT arent dumb,,, they will discount it only if they know they can get it back in form of monthly payments with 2 yr contract

;)