Former Blackberry User, joining the darkside

runner7395

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
That isn't really the point of bedside mode, at least not the way I use it. I am a crackberry.com user on verizon just waiting for the new version of the iphone to come out before I finally make the switch. I started browsing this site to learn about any potential things I need to do to make the switch more pleasant for me. More than bbm or any other feature the thing I am most worried about losing on my blackberry is bedside mode.

You have a lot of it right in your explanation. When I plug my BB 9650 in and click bedside mode it automatically dims the screen low enough so you can see the clock but it isn't annoying in a dark room. It also shuts of the led and turns of all vibrations and sound notifications except for incoming calls. That is the most important part for me. I want to be able to sleep through the night without texts, emails, facebook notifications etc.... waking me up. I can't have my phone on silent at night though because I get "emergency" work calls pretty regularly during the night. I also don't want to not be able to hear an actual emergency phone call coming in because my phone is on silent.

Sorry for my long rant. Basically I am very excited to get the next generation Verizon iphone whenever it actually comes out. I am just looking for a way to replicate my blackberry's bedside mode on the iphone. So far I haven't heard of any applications that can do this for me.

That is one thing I REALLY miss about my BB is bedside mode for the exact reason you said. With the iPhone, every night I have to go into the settings/sounds/and then turn off all of the sounds one by one except for phone calls. Then every morning I have to repeat that in reverse. It's a pain in the a**. No phone is perfect :(

king3pj

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
That is one thing I REALLY miss about my BB is bedside mode for the exact reason you said. With the iPhone, every night I have to go into the settings/sounds/and then turn off all of the sounds one by one except for phone calls. Then every morning I have to repeat that in reverse. It's a pain in the a**. No phone is perfect :(

Exactly. I am still going to get the next iphone verizon offers regardless. I just have a hard time believing that with all these thousands and thousands of apps there is nothing that can switch all my settings easily with 1 or maybe 2 clicks. It seems like the would be something that could do this even if it isn't really designed to be a bedside mode. I could live without the clock automatically opening and dimming as long as the the alerts could be quickly adjusted.

I have to admit I have just been googling things like bedside mode for iphone so maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. Maybe there is an app that does something like sound profiles that I'm not finding.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
After having a Blackberry for the past 3-4 years with Verizon, I have no regrets in switching to the iPhone4. I struggled when comparing the specs with the Android phones and what was coming out like the Thunderbolt before making the leap. However, after owning my iPhone4 for about a month, I can truly say that I would never go back nor would I consider a different platform. The bottom line is that this device works, works well, & has tons of apps & accessories to support it. It set the standard and continues to be the standard so I wouldn't think of anything else because of that. All the other little pros about Blackberry and Android didn't matter in the end because the iPhone4 is that good!

javeapaul

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
After having a Blackberry for the past 3-4 years with Verizon, I have no regrets in switching to the iPhone4. I struggled when comparing the specs with the Android phones and what was coming out like the Thunderbolt before making the leap. However, after owning my iPhone4 for about a month, I can truly say that I would never go back nor would I consider a different platform. The bottom line is that this device works, works well, & has tons of apps & accessories to support it. It set the standard and continues to be the standard so I wouldn't think of anything else because of that. All the other little pros about Blackberry and Android didn't matter in the end because the iPhone4 is that good!

I would agree...I have a long history of many many different phones back to the original Motorola/Nokia/Mitsubishi models (UK), and the Iphone4 does almost everything that I want/need....I say 'almost' as no phone is perfect! I have Iphone4 running 4.3.1 on Vodafone Spain and am very happy!

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe I waited so lone to switch to the iPhone 4. I was a BB user/abuser for many years. My wonderful wife and 11 year old daughter actuall did the "switch" for me. They surprised me with my iP4 for my birthday. Needless to say, it was the best birthday I have ever had. I am amazed every day by my iP4. I love it and will never go back to the BB World. I love the fact that I am now on the "Dark Side".

younqhollywwod

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ok so im still a bb abuser.. wanna chanqe to the dark side like u call it. lmao.. i wont miss bb, well the keyboard yes but nothinq else.. i got a bb 9700 and tomorrow ima get a iphone 4 16GB version. BUT i live outta the united states. [my girl is going to brinq it here [DOMINICAN REPUBLIC] and as you know its going to be locked.. so im not a geek but got the average joe computer skills mabye lil more and i like to read. what can I do to use it with a DR carreer? plain and simple words.. thank you and im glad to be part of your forums. =] regards from Dominican Republic.

P.D: I dont know yet wich baseband/bootloader/iOS version it has but she said she updated it recently to i guess has the last one on iTunes...

Last edited:

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I DO miss the battery life from my BlackBerry.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the reason most BlackBerries had a better battery life than the iPhone is because you can't do half the stuff on them that you can on the iPhone... so it sees half the use. LOL. Because seriously, when I was heavily using my Blackberry, the battery was terrible. Once I got sick of the thing and only used it for texts, BBM and calling, all of a sudden my battery got miraculously better. The iPhone handles use better on my end.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I came from the BB Storm. I'm happy with the iphone. Particularly after jailbreaking. One positive of moving away from BB not mentioned in the thread is no more truncated email! That always was the biggest BB annoyance for me. The lack of a useable web browser was an annoyance too. The biggest iPhone annoyances for me: kludgy method of deleting multiple email messages, no sound profiles.

On balance the iPhone is much better. You won't miss the blackberries.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I came from the BB Storm. I'm happy with the iphone. Particularly after jailbreaking. One positive of moving away from BB not mentioned in the thread is no more truncated email! That always was the biggest BB annoyance for me. The lack of a useable web browser was an annoyance too. The biggest iPhone annoyances for me: kludgy method of deleting multiple email messages, no sound profiles.

On balance the iPhone is much better. You won't miss the blackberries.

Oh I hated truncated e-mails! Lots of my incoming e-mails were newsletters, so with all the pictures and such, it would always get truncated.

peege

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
As a heavy BB user, aside from not having notification "colors" to alert various incoming texts, emails, and messages, (without jailbreaking), are there comparable apps to Documents to Go, and the ability to easily sync with Outlook on my PC. Just looking to make the transition as "easy and painless" as possible. RIM seems to going the way of Palm and the switch needs to be made when my contract is up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

ajonesma

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Using microsoft exchange to set up your email will sync everything with outlook (mail, calendar appt's etc) There are plenty of other apps like docs to go that are free for iphone.

cdycus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am a Bold 9700 user (with leaked OS6) that just bought an iPad2. I don't know if/when I will change to an iPhone. If I change from BB, I haven't decided if I will go for Droid or iOS yet.

The main feature I would miss from BES is the Flag for Follow-up. I can't tell if maybe my friends don't use it or what, but is there a way to have that work through activesync? That's really what I need to work :)

Note: Flag for follow-up sync to exchange only, not "star" in gmail or anything else.

mpallo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Longtime BB guy considering the switch when TMO gets this baby. 2 things of concern.

1) Email: I have my own domain and email accounts via a cpanel host so my email uses POP/IMAP. The way I understand it is that I can only check mail min. every 15 minutes with built in client unless I use gmail etc. Simply need it faster.

2) LED: I am really dependent on the LED. Would greatly miss that.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a BlackBerry Bold 9700 with AT&T before I did an early upgrade and got my iPhone 4 back in September. The ONLY thing I miss about my BlackBerry is the keyboard. An onscreen keyboard just doesn't compare to a physical one, especially the well designed one of a BlackBerry.

However, the iPhone is suprerior in literally every other aspect. It also pushes Gmail, which most don't believe it does. You just have to figure out how to do it (either just use IMAP and wait for the slight delay or else set up Gmail as Exchange).

DonNguyen#IM

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Longtime BB guy considering the switch when TMO gets this baby. 2 things of concern.

1) Email: I have my own domain and email accounts via a cpanel host so my email uses POP/IMAP. The way I understand it is that I can only check mail min. every 15 minutes with built in client unless I use gmail etc. Simply need it faster.

2) LED: I am really dependent on the LED. Would greatly miss that.

I've been on the iphone for about a week...

you can manually refresh your email...but i think it's set like that in order to preserve battery life

still struggling with the lack of LED notifications

rogercruse#IM

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Moved from a 9700 in January, my wife switched in February and got an iPad2 last month. Like the range of apps available and choice of accessories. Miss the LED.

peege

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Using microsoft exchange to set up your email will sync everything with outlook (mail, calendar appt's etc) There are plenty of other apps like docs to go that are free for iphone.

Thanks, unfortunately all of my emails are POP so Microsoft Exchange won't work....at least it hasn't yet. Since I will be using this phone for "business application" i will need to sync "cal, contacts, tasks, and memos". I have been searching for ways to do this and there doesn't seem to be a simple answer. Does this phone function , syncing, editing, etc, in a business climate.