Soo I've been an avid blackberry enthusiast since the original pearl came out which was my first foray into the smartphone arena. Since then nothing the iPhone ever put out really impressed me even though I do love the iPhone as a gaming platform, as a phone I just felt it lacked the full package.. until I saw the iPhone 4. And wow am I blown away, I was just wondering if any of you have switched from blackberry and could help ease the process.

I think what I will miss most is the LED indicator, I've heard it's annoying having to check your phone for messages/calls all the time.
    Same here! Ive been Blackberry loyal since the first Pearl myself and now its finally time to make that switch. I feel a little bad for leaving behind all my BBM friends but its just time. Im pretty excited about the new iPhone
    06-17-2010 05:12 PM
    Same here! Ive been Blackberry loyal since the first Pearl myself and now its finally time to make that switch. I feel a little bad for leaving behind all my BBM friends but its just time. Im pretty excited about the new iPhone
    get them to switch too!

2 other BBM guys are switching with me

1 is not happy with me switching
    06-17-2010 05:14 PM
    same here... wife and I are ditching our 9700's for iPhone4's
    +1 minus a wife lol
    06-18-2010 11:19 AM
    get them to switch too!

2 other BBM guys are switching with me

1 is not happy with me switching
    Yeah my best friend sounded real sad when he mentioned it yesterday. I had posted about it on facebook and he was like "So.....I see youre makin the swith huh?" lol it was pretty funny. He jokes about me "turning my back" on Blackberry
    06-18-2010 11:21 AM
    I did the same thing as your daughter. I almost felt like I had to find all of my iPhone friends and apologize to them.
    Step 12 !

06-18-2010 11:44 AM
    Step 12 !

LOL....now that's funny!
    06-18-2010 11:53 AM
    Welcome! I've never had a Blackberry, but I've had Windows Mobile smartphones, and I switched to iPhone when the 3G came out. I upgraded to the 3GS, and now I'm getting iPhone 4. I really love my iphone (and iPad: that thing is awesome). I considered the Sprint HTC EVO instead of getting an iPhone 4, but I wasn't all that impressed when I played with it at the store, and the thought of learning a new OS gave me tired head.

About the keyboard: just "trust it" and type away, and you'll quickly get the hang of it.

You know, I consider myself to be a mature adult, but I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas waiting for iPhone 4 to arrive.
    06-18-2010 12:28 PM
    Welcome! I've never had a Blackberry, but I've had Windows Mobile smartphones, and I switched to iPhone when the 3G came out. I upgraded to the 3GS, and now I'm getting iPhone 4. I really love my iphone (and iPad: that thing is awesome). I considered the Sprint HTC EVO instead of getting an iPhone 4, but I wasn't all that impressed when I played with it at the store, and the thought of learning a new OS gave me tired head.

About the keyboard: just "trust it" and type away, and you'll quickly get the hang of it.

You know, I consider myself to be a mature adult, but I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas waiting for iPhone 4 to arrive.
    Just curious. Is your screen name from an old Steve Martin comedy routine?

For the sake of being on topic, yes I switched from BB to Phone, yes I'm happy, etc. etc. etc.
    06-18-2010 03:27 PM
    My BBM status with now is "6 more days"....tomorrow it will be "5 more days"
    06-18-2010 03:45 PM
    My BBM status with now is "6 more days"....tomorrow it will be "5 more days"
    Im gonna follow your lead on that one!
    06-18-2010 03:52 PM
    I'm on the Curve 8530 from Verizon until my iPhone 4 shows up in the mail (hopefully) next Thursday. I love my Curve, and I'll miss BBM the most, but the hardware just simply could not be ignored. Heck of an adventure getting my order in, too.
    06-18-2010 04:08 PM
    Hi, welcome to the iPhone world! I changed my BB Storm last autumn for the 3GS, and, being a Mac user since 1991, was happy. Nevertheless, the BB system is better in communicating. Tried to make an appointment the other day with my iPhone calendar and Mail: No way.
    It was an interesting time trying out all those leaked firmwares for the BB but on the other hand it is nice to have a handset working right out of the box. Some people wrote they miss their BB Messengers which I did also in the beginning. I strongly recommend PingChat! for that. Its pure fun. And You can send pictures, sound files and videos, too.
    06-20-2010 10:02 AM
    mdpuckett84
    What exactly is bedside mode? Just curious. When I heard that, I think, every night I put my iPhone on vibrate, it silences all calls texts and notifications but allows the alarm to go off in the morning. Is that not the same thing or does BB do something different as well?
    06-20-2010 10:12 AM
    BB users do not have this tiny little switch at the side of their device to silence it at once. So RIM integrated a "bedside mode", and put in a lot of configurable options. Once set, You can trigger the bedside mode to keep the BB quiet, dim the screen, show a clock etc. AlarmClock does pretty much the same on the iPhone.
    06-20-2010 10:26 AM
    BB users do not have this tiny little switch at the side of their device to silence it at once. So RIM integrated a "bedside mode", and put in a lot of configurable options. Once set, You can trigger the bedside mode to keep the BB quiet, dim the screen, show a clock etc. AlarmClock does pretty much the same on the iPhone.
    That isn't really the point of bedside mode, at least not the way I use it. I am a crackberry.com user on verizon just waiting for the new version of the iphone to come out before I finally make the switch. I started browsing this site to learn about any potential things I need to do to make the switch more pleasant for me. More than bbm or any other feature the thing I am most worried about losing on my blackberry is bedside mode.

You have a lot of it right in your explanation. When I plug my BB 9650 in and click bedside mode it automatically dims the screen low enough so you can see the clock but it isn't annoying in a dark room. It also shuts of the led and turns of all vibrations and sound notifications except for incoming calls. That is the most important part for me. I want to be able to sleep through the night without texts, emails, facebook notifications etc.... waking me up. I can't have my phone on silent at night though because I get "emergency" work calls pretty regularly during the night. I also don't want to not be able to hear an actual emergency phone call coming in because my phone is on silent.

Sorry for my long rant. Basically I am very excited to get the next generation Verizon iphone whenever it actually comes out. I am just looking for a way to replicate my blackberry's bedside mode on the iphone. So far I haven't heard of any applications that can do this for me.
    03-29-2011 06:22 PM
    That isn't really the point of bedside mode, at least not the way I use it. I am a crackberry.com user on verizon just waiting for the new version of the iphone to come out before I finally make the switch. I started browsing this site to learn about any potential things I need to do to make the switch more pleasant for me. More than bbm or any other feature the thing I am most worried about losing on my blackberry is bedside mode.

You have a lot of it right in your explanation. When I plug my BB 9650 in and click bedside mode it automatically dims the screen low enough so you can see the clock but it isn't annoying in a dark room. It also shuts of the led and turns of all vibrations and sound notifications except for incoming calls. That is the most important part for me. I want to be able to sleep through the night without texts, emails, facebook notifications etc.... waking me up. I can't have my phone on silent at night though because I get "emergency" work calls pretty regularly during the night. I also don't want to not be able to hear an actual emergency phone call coming in because my phone is on silent.

Sorry for my long rant. Basically I am very excited to get the next generation Verizon iphone whenever it actually comes out. I am just looking for a way to replicate my blackberry's bedside mode on the iphone. So far I haven't heard of any applications that can do this for me.

That is one thing I REALLY miss about my BB is bedside mode for the exact reason you said. With the iPhone, every night I have to go into the settings/sounds/and then turn off all of the sounds one by one except for phone calls. Then every morning I have to repeat that in reverse. It's a pain in the a**. No phone is perfect
    03-30-2011 06:28 AM
    That is one thing I REALLY miss about my BB is bedside mode for the exact reason you said. With the iPhone, every night I have to go into the settings/sounds/and then turn off all of the sounds one by one except for phone calls. Then every morning I have to repeat that in reverse. It's a pain in the a**. No phone is perfect
    Exactly. I am still going to get the next iphone verizon offers regardless. I just have a hard time believing that with all these thousands and thousands of apps there is nothing that can switch all my settings easily with 1 or maybe 2 clicks. It seems like the would be something that could do this even if it isn't really designed to be a bedside mode. I could live without the clock automatically opening and dimming as long as the the alerts could be quickly adjusted.

I have to admit I have just been googling things like bedside mode for iphone so maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. Maybe there is an app that does something like sound profiles that I'm not finding.
    03-30-2011 09:21 AM
    After having a Blackberry for the past 3-4 years with Verizon, I have no regrets in switching to the iPhone4. I struggled when comparing the specs with the Android phones and what was coming out like the Thunderbolt before making the leap. However, after owning my iPhone4 for about a month, I can truly say that I would never go back nor would I consider a different platform. The bottom line is that this device works, works well, & has tons of apps & accessories to support it. It set the standard and continues to be the standard so I wouldn't think of anything else because of that. All the other little pros about Blackberry and Android didn't matter in the end because the iPhone4 is that good!
    04-01-2011 02:26 PM
    After having a Blackberry for the past 3-4 years with Verizon, I have no regrets in switching to the iPhone4. I struggled when comparing the specs with the Android phones and what was coming out like the Thunderbolt before making the leap. However, after owning my iPhone4 for about a month, I can truly say that I would never go back nor would I consider a different platform. The bottom line is that this device works, works well, & has tons of apps & accessories to support it. It set the standard and continues to be the standard so I wouldn't think of anything else because of that. All the other little pros about Blackberry and Android didn't matter in the end because the iPhone4 is that good!
    I would agree...I have a long history of many many different phones back to the original Motorola/Nokia/Mitsubishi models (UK), and the Iphone4 does almost everything that I want/need....I say 'almost' as no phone is perfect! I have Iphone4 running 4.3.1 on Vodafone Spain and am very happy!
    04-02-2011 07:47 AM
    I can't believe I waited so lone to switch to the iPhone 4. I was a BB user/abuser for many years. My wonderful wife and 11 year old daughter actuall did the "switch" for me. They surprised me with my iP4 for my birthday. Needless to say, it was the best birthday I have ever had. I am amazed every day by my iP4. I love it and will never go back to the BB World. I love the fact that I am now on the "Dark Side".
    04-04-2011 11:41 AM
    ok so im still a bb abuser.. wanna chanqe to the dark side like u call it. lmao.. i wont miss bb, well the keyboard yes but nothinq else.. i got a bb 9700 and tomorrow ima get a iphone 4 16GB version. BUT i live outta the united states. [my girl is going to brinq it here [DOMINICAN REPUBLIC] and as you know its going to be locked.. so im not a geek but got the average joe computer skills mabye lil more and i like to read. what can I do to use it with a DR carreer? plain and simple words.. thank you and im glad to be part of your forums. =] regards from Dominican Republic.

P.D: I dont know yet wich baseband/bootloader/iOS version it has but she said she updated it recently to i guess has the last one on iTunes...
    Last edited by younqhollywwod; 04-05-2011 at 12:35 AM.
    04-05-2011 12:31 AM
    Blackberry is in too old fashion, iphone has better feature.
    04-05-2011 03:17 AM
    U did well.
    04-05-2011 03:18 AM
    I DO miss the battery life from my BlackBerry. And push e-mail for AOL. Other than that...
    04-06-2011 01:05 PM
    I DO miss the battery life from my BlackBerry.
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the reason most BlackBerries had a better battery life than the iPhone is because you can't do half the stuff on them that you can on the iPhone... so it sees half the use. LOL. Because seriously, when I was heavily using my Blackberry, the battery was terrible. Once I got sick of the thing and only used it for texts, BBM and calling, all of a sudden my battery got miraculously better. The iPhone handles use better on my end.
    04-06-2011 05:57 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD