Former Blackberry User, joining the darkside

cmikhow#AC

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Soo I've been an avid blackberry enthusiast since the original pearl came out which was my first foray into the smartphone arena. Since then nothing the iPhone ever put out really impressed me even though I do love the iPhone as a gaming platform, as a phone I just felt it lacked the full package.. until I saw the iPhone 4. And wow am I blown away, I was just wondering if any of you have switched from blackberry and could help ease the process.

I think what I will miss most is the LED indicator, I've heard it's annoying having to check your phone for messages/calls all the time.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Death Star, take a seat and enjoy the force choke. =P

And I agree about the LED, it's the ONE thing I've missed from my old phone.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
At first, you will miss BB's keyboard. But after a few weeks of practice, it won't even be an issue. I enjoy the darkside. Darth Jobs has a way of producing a quality phone that works out of the box.

rliebert

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I switched over in March from a Bold 9700, and I haven't looked back yet. I've actually found the enterprise email on my iPhone to be smoother than what I had with the BES service.

Give it an honest chance, and I think you will soon forget that you ever had a BlackBerry.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the death star. I was a AVID Blackberry user for YEARS. Been using my 3GS now for 3 months and have given away most of my Blackberry's to charities and kept one in case anyone in the house needs a spare phone real quick while they wait for a replacement to come. The keyboard was the hardest for me but now in landscape I'm typing just as fast as my BB 9700 and 9000.

I don't see going back to RIM anytime in my future, wife loves her iPhone and as soon as our kids get jobs to pay their own data bills then I'll be getting them iPhones also or should I say they will get ours while the parents get the new one ;)

bjames2785

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I jus ordered the iphone 4. on the 24th I will be leaving blackberry
Most likely for good. The storm 2 jus didn't do what I needed from
A smartphone.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to TiPb!! You will love your iPhone. I made the move from blackberry to iphone as well and I have yet to regret it. I had a 8900 through tmobile that I got from an upgrade. It worked great for a solid two weeks and then the answer key didn't work and the phone lagged. No dmage had been done to the phone by me (something could have happened while it was being shipped to me, but if so I wouldn't know) and I had yet to install any programs on the phone. I called tmobile and they sent me a new one and I had the same problems. Long story short that one didn't work either and tmobile refused to give me another new phone and offered me a refurb. I then asked for them to give me back my upgrade on which they refused. So I threaten to cancel and get a iphone and they told me they didn't care, and that AT&T's crappy service would bring me back. I laughed in their faces as I pulled out my iphone and cancelled the contract. Ive never been happier with a phone, pr a carrier. Sorry for my long-winded story but I thought I'd share :) enjoy your iphone and once again welcome to the site there are some really cool people on here :)

cmikhow#AC

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
wow such prompt and kind responses :D thanks for the kindness.

and ya i'm glad to see there are others in the same boat as me, i mean i had the curve, 9000, and 9700 and at these phones were some of the best on the market but i waited for bberry too long and their tech is now all old news, apple and android just dwarf them in almost every way.

so ya i'm switching over, the keyboard has been a real cause of concern for me because i was VERY used to typing on my bold 9000/9700 but a friend of mine can type as fast as i can on my bold 9700 on his iphone so i imagine i'll get used to it EVENTUALLY (however all the iphones i've tried out in store, i have been horrendous at typing on)

i've done extensive research and testing and i am pretty pleased with how iphone has progressed in terms of e-mail, and other services (like copy and paste) and other than LED and keyboard issues i haven't been able to think of anything else that would really frustrate me.

any other advice you ex-BB users could offer? (i know i'm beaing a dead horse but i just depend on that LED so much, it's like crack i don't know how i'll get away without it.)

MDPuckett84

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I made the same switch. I've been on Blackberry almost consistently since Fall of 2006. I tried to make the leap to iPhone a couple times but got tired of it after 6-8 weeks and went back to BB. In April I started using my wife's old 3G when she got a 3GS and almost gave it up for a Bold 9700 but just wasn't satisfied. I preordered a iPhone 4 this morning.

Here's my take on it coming from a similar situation. I should mention that I mostly use a phone for communication and much less for entertainment and multimedia. In fact except for the occasional podcast I almost never listen to any of the iTunes material on my phone.

Cons:

No status LED

No Blackberry messenger and IM clients not as smooth to me (maybe multitasking will fix this?)

No bedside mode

Little more effort to do tasks if the phone is in standby for example:
-Blackberry: start unlocking by typing first digit of lock code, press enter, start dialing
-iPhone: press button to wake up, slide to unlock, enter pin, launch Phone, dial
-I know this is really minor and being picky, but if you do it often it can get annoying. This, combined with no unified inbox and 4 email accounts is what kept killing the iPhone for me.

Not connected to company intranet unless you can get VPN to work (which I can't)

No themes if you're really into those (unless you jailbreak).

Notifications are really in your face which can be annoying if you're trying to do something.

OS updates are pretty much just once a year. This isn't a big deal at all really, but just means if there's something you want it to do that it doesn't do now, you're looking at aleast a year before that has a chance of changing. But unlike with Blackberry you don't have to wait for the OS to get approved by ATT before you get it "officially".

Pros:
With the addition of a unified inbox, I think iPhone handles mail better than BB now. Accessing folders is much easier and the 2 way sync between device and the mail account seems to work a lot better/faster.

Web Browser is obviously better

Apps - Games and fart apps aside, the iPhone has some good productivity apps going for it like Evernote or Mint.com. Last I looked Mint isn't for Blackberry and the Evernote app isn't that great. In non-productive apps the Facebook app is much better as are the Weather apps. Also, more apps means the chance of their being a free one that does what you want is much greater.

Mutliple Alarms - minor but something I really like

Expect the keyboard to drive you crazy for the first week or so, but you will get better/faster at it.

MDPuckett84

May 10, 2010
Visit site
wow such prompt and kind responses :D thanks for the kindness.

and ya i'm glad to see there are others in the same boat as me, i mean i had the curve, 9000, and 9700 and at these phones were some of the best on the market but i waited for bberry too long and their tech is now all old news, apple and android just dwarf them in almost every way.

so ya i'm switching over, the keyboard has been a real cause of concern for me because i was VERY used to typing on my bold 9000/9700 but a friend of mine can type as fast as i can on my bold 9700 on his iphone so i imagine i'll get used to it EVENTUALLY (however all the iphones i've tried out in store, i have been horrendous at typing on)

i've done extensive research and testing and i am pretty pleased with how iphone has progressed in terms of e-mail, and other services (like copy and paste) and other than LED and keyboard issues i haven't been able to think of anything else that would really frustrate me.

any other advice you ex-BB users could offer? (i know i'm beaing a dead horse but i just depend on that LED so much, it's like crack i don't know how i'll get away without it.)

Looks like I took so long with my post that you replied again.

Lack of an LED was extremely frustrating for me too. Eventually I realized I had the phone with me so much that I almost alway catch the notification when it happens and only used the LED for confirmation I wasn't crazy.

You're right, RIM just doesn't seem to be progressing lately. I think what got me was the OS 6 video, not really showing off much improvement but trying to make up with it with dancing and the Black Eye Peas. Meanwhile they're showing off OS6 and ATT won't give offical versions beyond 4.6 because they're not done loading it up with crapware.

Of course it's their right to only focus on business users who don't give a rip about all of this, just like its ours to quit buying their phones.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I jus ordered the iphone 4. on the 24th I will be leaving blackberry
Most likely for good. The storm 2 jus didn't do what I needed from
A smartphone.

I came to the iPhone 3G from the BB Storm and I was sooooo happy I did. It did take a little bit of practice to figure it all out after using BB for a while even before the Storm, but it's a fairly easy and painless process. You will be thrilled in the end and probably never want a BB again.

cmikhow#AC

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I took so long with my post that you replied again.

Lack of an LED was extremely frustrating for me too. Eventually I realized I had the phone with me so much that I almost alway catch the notification when it happens and only used the LED for confirmation I wasn't crazy.

You're right, RIM just doesn't seem to be progressing lately. I think what got me was the OS 6 video, not really showing off much improvement but trying to make up with it with dancing and the Black Eye Peas. Meanwhile they're showing off OS6 and ATT won't give offical versions beyond 4.6 because they're not done loading it up with crapware.

Of course it's their right to only focus on business users who don't give a rip about all of this, just like its ours to quit buying their phones.

Well said. Once again thanks everyone for the input it's helping a lot.

And to clarify I live in Canada so we have no pre-orders for the iPhone4 open yet but I am certainly going to get it, I'm just trying to smooth over the process, not make my choice as like I've said Blackberry has hit a status quo and they assume people will continue buying their phones just because they are blackberry but like the user I quoted said, it's our right to not buy their phones if they lose sight of the consumer.

Now my 9700 had KILLER battery life I know IP4 is getting a bigger battery, but I hope I won't have to charge it more than once a day, however I am a power user so I have a feeling this will be the case.

I'm impressed with Apple's constant improvements to their e-mail system but is the calender system ok?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a BB user but I once bought one for my brother and decided to try it out for a day. I had my SIM in for about half an hour and it was just too hard to figure out how to do things so I had to switch back. I think the calendar app depends on the user really I know some people hate it and never use it, me I love it works perfectly for my needs. So all depends on how you use it and what kind of user you are. Welcome the forums are great here and the live show is awesome.

bjames2785

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
My experience browsing these forums has been great everyone seems to get along a lot better than on some of the bb forums I'm really looking forward to getting my iphone and getting acclaimated

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm a BB 9000 and 9700 user like you. I have gone back and forth between BB and iPhones for a while. The BB is faster at texting, emailing, making a call etc, and to me has superior notifications system. Yes that blinking red light is like crack. iPhones just pop up the notifications in your face. Not so good when your 5 year old son is playing a game and someone sends a text that is NSFW. Yes I like the physical keyboard better and BB spell check also, but if you trust the iPhone's auto correct you will be almost as fast or faster on the iPhone. I can fly on each one. One way I have made my iPhone faster for daily functions is to use the universal search function. Say you want to call or text Drew Brees (if you have him in your phone) you just back swipe from the main home screen, which brings up the universal search function. Start typing his name like you would on a blackberry, it will bring up anything with his name in it. Choose a text message to text, or the contact to call. With practice you can make it very fast and negate one of BB advantage to me. I'm gonna stick with the iPhone and make it work for me. And one other thing you might want to do is to jailbreak it so you can have all the neat themes like you can on a BB. Then those with non jailbroken phones will look at you with envy. This past weekend a friends wife looked at my jailbroken 3G with my LSU theme and said she wanted purple keys. I said jailbreak it you can have it all. I'm not gonna say you won't go back to a crackberry because crack is very addicting. But you just might set up another addiction with the iPhone. But use some restraint with the phone, or your productivity will go down because you play games on the phone too much.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Soo I've been an avid blackberry enthusiast since the original pearl came out which was my first foray into the smartphone arena. Since then nothing the iPhone ever put out really impressed me even though I do love the iPhone as a gaming platform, as a phone I just felt it lacked the full package.. until I saw the iPhone 4. And wow am I blown away, I was just wondering if any of you have switched from blackberry and could help ease the process.

I think what I will miss most is the LED indicator, I've heard it's annoying having to check your phone for messages/calls all the time.

I jumped off of RIM's sinking ship back in Dec and have not looked back since. To tell you the truth I really don't miss the LED at all, it's kind of nice to not have my phone blinking at me for every other thing. I thought the keyboard would be an issue but I type faster on my iPhone then I did on my Curve. Welcome to the Dark Side.

PstrMIke

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been a BB user for a couple of years now. For me it has been a journey, being a Palm Treo user prior to switching to BB. I have loved my keyboards and that has been a major hold up in switching to the iPhone. I love all things Apple. I bought an iPod Touch a few months ago to see if I could get used to the virtual keyboard and although I am much slower than with a physical keyboard I know it will be an easy leap and I will pick up speed shortly. I will be getting an iPhone 4 the 1st part of July and am extremely excited about it.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! You will become addicted to the iPhone/ Apple experience very quickly. My daughter swore by the BB until I got her to try the iPhone - now, she's SOOO hooked! It was funny to watch over a few days she couldn't put it down. It stays in her hands! She used to to say I just didn't understand.

rliebert

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well said. Once again thanks everyone for the input it's helping a lot.

And to clarify I live in Canada so we have no pre-orders for the iPhone4 open yet but I am certainly going to get it, I'm just trying to smooth over the process, not make my choice as like I've said Blackberry has hit a status quo and they assume people will continue buying their phones just because they are blackberry but like the user I quoted said, it's our right to not buy their phones if they lose sight of the consumer.

Now my 9700 had KILLER battery life I know IP4 is getting a bigger battery, but I hope I won't have to charge it more than once a day, however I am a power user so I have a feeling this will be the case.

I'm impressed with Apple's constant improvements to their e-mail system but is the calender system ok?

I certainly haven't had any complaints about the calendar at all. It can be a little more tedious in setting up appointments compared to the BB, but overall I like the different views that you can pull up with the iPhone.

If you are a real heavy power user and don't have access to a charger throughout the day, you might want to look into the Mophie Juice Air case. It is a spare battery that will give you about 50% more battery life. I haven't seen if they are going to make one for the iPhone 4, but I would think that they will. I have one for my 3GS and it has saved my bacon when I am out all day without access to a charger.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR