Gold Master questions.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I see some people on here have downloaded the GM to their phones. I have located the necesary materials, but have been hesitent to do it. For those of you that have the GM installed, do you like it? Did you have any problems? What will happen when Apple officially releases the download?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Well. I am a dev and have had all the betas on my phone and installed the GM and have experienced no bugs. It works fine and runs smoothly. I have even noticed the battery life on my 3GS increased. I would say go for it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
There are a couple of minor bugs that I have noticed, but it runs very well overall. Keep in mind that all builds have bugs at some level (see initial release of 2.0), but at most they compile one more build. Go ahead and have at it.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone reported bricking problems? And @ghostface147 are you also a dev, or did you just google the ios4 software like I did?

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm a dev, and I haven't experienced any issues yet. I would just wait the extra week, it's not really anything ground breaking. (Well, it's pretty good, but you know what I mean.) Plus, the last thing you want to see is that "Software Expired" notice, and not being able to fix your phone easily, if at all.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and did it. Seems to have worked beautifully. So I'm assuming that when the official version gets released, all I'll have to do is upgrade to it?

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and did it. Seems to have worked beautifully. So I'm assuming that when the official version gets released, all I'll have to do is upgrade to it?

Correct. Even though the GM is the closest you'll get to an official release, any small issues that are found will (or should) be corrected by the time the official build is rolled out to iTunes. June 21st marks the end of the beta season, and all developers are usually asked to switch back to the consumer builds until next year's beta. It's probably best that you not stay with the developer builds, as they won't be supported for very long.

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So your saying I should restore to the 3.1.3 firmware?

No, that's not necessary. In fact, I don't even think it's possible. Just wait until the 21st when the official release comes out, and update to that. You should be able to do it right from iTunes. You won't notice any visible changes in the OS, but it's always better to be using official software rather than betas and GMs.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Oh okay. I'm just making sure I didn't screw myself lol. When you said the software expired thing I got nervous. So I should be fine as long as I update to the official firmware on the 21st?

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh okay. I'm just making sure I didn't screw myself lol. When you said the software expired thing I got nervous. So I should be fine as long as I update to the official firmware on the 21st?

Yup, you should be fine. The reason I was talking about expired software was because beta 4 expired today. I was at work, and during an intense game of Doodle Jump (well, maybe it was a conference call), the connect to iTunes screen appears. After a few downloads, some restoring, and a lot of patience, I was able to get my phone running again on the GM release. I'm now eagerly awaiting the official release, because I hate having to update my phone this often, and based on Apple's schedule.

Glad I could help, and I really hope all of the rumors on the front page turn out to be false. :)

Reactions: anon(27512)

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man you were really helpful. Giving you some rep now. Are you refering to the lack of a white iphone on launch day and the no pre-orders outside apple store front page rumors?

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man you were really helpful. Giving you some rep now. Are you refering to the lack of a white iphone on launch day and the no pre-orders outside apple store front page rumors?

Yes, those were exactly the rumors I was referring to. Even though I kinda like the professional look of the black iPhone, I've been an Apple fan since way back when they didn't even have any shiny metal or black products. That's why I want to try the white this time. I guess my only hope is to check the site tomorrow morning and hope that I see the white as an option to preorder.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I keep going back and forth on which color I want. I've decided that I will take what is available. I can't take the waiting anymore lol and this will be the first time I'm able to get a apple product at launch and I don't want to miss it :)

pilotcap#AC

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi!
Simple question: Should I install the GM today to avoid the server queues tomorrow or is it better to wait for the official release?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
At this point you may as well wait one more day. You shouldn't have a big problem as long as you've already updated your iTunes.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods