Hi,

I have looked everywhere but found no answer to this, so if anyone can help that would be great.

How many laptops can an iphone be synced to? I think it is only 4 laptops. so if I wanted to remove the sync and start on a new laptop, how do I let the iphone know that it only needs to sync to the new laptop and deregister the previous 4?
    06-12-2010 07:58 AM
    You can sync to one. I think you're getting confused with how many laptops you can register with iTunes (5).

If you try to sync you riPhone with a 2nd machine, it will delete everything on your iPhone and replace it with what's on that machine.
    06-12-2010 08:11 AM
    Alli,
    I have a question for you since you seem to be an expert

Once I get my iPhone 4 , Im giving my 3GS to my wife.... I was thinking about selling her 3G...but then I thought maybe I can just give it to my son as an ipod touch, since it wont have the sim....
    will all the apps and music and videos that my wife downloaded to that phone be available for him to use ?
    06-12-2010 09:12 AM
    Yes. As long as your son use the same iTunes account and same computer as your wife.
    The iPhone can only be synced to one computer at a time. Meaning if you sync it with another computer, then all your data, music, apps etc. will be replaced with what's on the another computer.
    06-12-2010 09:23 AM
    so basically you can synch 2 iphones to the same itunes account and have the same apps & games and music on BOTH !?
    06-12-2010 09:37 AM
    When you plug your phone into a new computer, when your phone starts the Syn in Progress, stop it.

Next, change the settings in your Summery tab to manage your music yourself. Sign into your iTunes account and authorize your account on that computer.

In the info tab, scroll to the bottom and make sure none of the boxes are ticked for replacing information. If you do that and sync, you will lose your calendar and contact entries on your phone for what ever is on the computer.

So if you've set it up right, all your apps / games will be copied to the new computer. You shouldn't lose anything else.

Music cannot be copied from iPhone to computer.
    06-12-2010 10:00 AM
    And if your son wants to sync his disabled 3G to another computer because he chooses different music than your wife, you can set him up on your/her iTunes account to use the games/apps you've purchased with that account.
    06-12-2010 11:24 AM
    Exactly. I share my apps and game with my wires iPhone and my daughters iPod. Life is sweet. Now let's see the iPhone 4 already.
    06-12-2010 11:55 AM
    so basically both me and my wife can share the same apps and games etc, BUT The music on 2 different phones so we dont have to pay double ???
    06-12-2010 12:11 PM
    Correct. Just authorize your wifes phone on your account.

However, if she has her own iTunes account and has purchased things on her own, her apps will be deleted from her phone and yours will be installed instead.
    06-12-2010 12:29 PM
    and this wont affect the contacts and emails and other info ?
    06-12-2010 12:59 PM
    Not if you're both syncing contacts & stuff to Google rather than iTunes.
    06-12-2010 05:44 PM
    Actually, there's a pretty easy way to sync your iphone to multiple computers. I can currently sync my iphone 3g with 3 computers.

Use this page to learn how:
    http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/3...computers.html

Without doing this itunes will complain when you connect to a new computer.
    06-12-2010 09:37 PM
    I got some answers and a question

Beshad some of these answers will have already been given but just wanted to put it all together. Yes you can share apps and music on two phones I do it with my GF's phone all the time. The fact that your wife has her own account kind of complicates things a bit. If you both used your account you could use two laptops hers syncs with her phone and yours syncs with your phone but both laptops are logged in with your iTunes account and use home sharing. So then basically when both laptops are on the same wireless network at home and you both have iTunes open it would update apps and music between the two computers. Then you sync your phones and get updated as well. The contacts and email don't come from the iTunes account so whatever she has setup on her computer in iTunes for syncing that stuff will stay true and same for you. If she has songs that she bought under her own account the only way I can think of combining all the songs into a single account would be to turn them to MP3s and then import them into your library or hers but with both machines using the same account as I mentioned in the home sharing plan above then with home sharing those songs would be updated on the other machine and you could continue to get songs and apps with only one account.

The question I have is, once you remove the SIM from the phone you plan to give to your son and sync will it not lock the phone because it's unable to activate?
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 06-13-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: correction
    06-13-2010 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD