Losing Signal/No Service

Jay_eS_Iye

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife has been having issues with her iPhone 3GS for about the last week or so. She will all of a sudden lose signal and it will go to "Searching" and then to "No Service" and eventually go back to signal and repeat itself again. When there is no service she can't sent SMS or access the internet. I tried calling AT&T which sent me to Apple Support who told me our phone support is expired, so trying out TiPb instead. Has anyone had this issue lately or ever?

It's been jailbroken with PwnageTool, running 3.1.2, Carrier: AT&T 5.6, Modem Firmware: 05.11.07

Jay_eS_Iye

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
yeah I was thinking that would be a way I'd need to go. Is Spirit the way to go these days? And should I stick with 3.1.2? (I'm normally a Windows/BlackBerry guy, but my wife insists on her MacBook/iPhone so I'm making myself become savy on them as well as my own stuff)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Stick to 3.1.2 if possible. 3.1.3 brings no improvements and only makes unlocking not possible.

Why didn't you tell me you like windows and blackberry, I wouldn't have helped you!
lmao just kidding! XD

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Maybe it was something that she recently installed. I had that problem a few times and i unistalled the last few apps I dl and did the trick. Other than that, since u don't need an unlock, restore and upgrade to 3.1.3 in iTunes and that will work. U can rejailbreak with Spirit and it won't be tethered. Goodluck

Jay_eS_Iye

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Why didn't you tell me you like windows and blackberry, I wouldn't have helped you!
lmao just kidding! XD

yeah yeah, I know, usually we aren't the ones who need help :) sorry, couldn't resist, please help :confused:

I'll plan on backing it up for her and starting over first with 3.1.2 and then if it still works up go with 3.1.3. Probably do it tomorrow since it's been a heck of a day, but if anyone else has some input through the night please let me know.

Kwillis

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been having the same problem. I lost signal and my daughter was sitting next to me and she had 3g signal. I can't figure it out so I guess I will call apple.

Kwillis

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to add that my phone is not a jailbroken phone. I thought it was only happening when I was home but I wasn't home today when it happen.

CorvZ061

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
before you restore, take out the sim and clean the contacts, and blow out the sim port with compressed air. I had to do that to my iPhone 3g

gainc#IM

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
There have been outages with AT&T. I know here in central Florida where the service is normally there have been outages in different areas all week.

Kingsley

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I live on Long Island in central Nassau County where I've had 3G coverage since purchasing my 3GS last June. Phone has not
been unlocked or jailbroken. Anyway, in the last 2 weeks, I've solely been on EDGE within a 2-3 mile radius of my house. Called AT&T, and the customer service rep (I'm assuming that he knew what he was doing) informed me that there are 4 towers within a 10 mile radius from me that are "degraded" and that could be the reason why service has been iffy. Also set up a Genius Bar apponitment at the Apple Store and the Genius told me that AT&T is "resetting" their network to prepare for the massive number of activation come June 24th.
What do you all think?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've read that rebooting the phone will allow it to update any towers, etc., that AT&T may have changed so might try that first to see if it helps.