Newbie battery question

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here and actually this is my first post. I'm a BlackBerry user that is probably going to be switching to iPhone4 next month. Just a quick question about the battery. Assuming it's like other Apple products and it's not user replaceable? If so, what kind of life should I expect from the battery? Typically I get about a year out of my smartphone batteries before they begin to noticeably degrade. What are the battery replacement options for an iPhone when the battery starts to degrade?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
No, it's not user replaceable. I've had my 3GS since shortly after launch and there's no difference in the battery life from the day I got it. There are people with the 3G and 2G that say the same. If the battery fails I believe Apple will replace it, though I'm not sure how long they will do it "for free" vs for a charge. It could be just as long as you have Apple Care, which is typically 1 yr ( or 2 if you extend it ).

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Not user replaceable, but the battery is excellent.
7 hours of 3G talk time, 300 hours standby, 40 hours audio, 10 hours video, 10 hours wifi browsing and 6 hours 3G browser.

As you're a new user, you'll no doubt end up playing with it a lot more than you would 'play' with your Blackberry, so don't expect battery life to be equivalent to what you have now unless you use it sparingly like you would any other phone. You will probably end up charging your iPhone when you go to sleep, I find it's best to buy an extra USB cable and use the AC and USB cable on my night stand so I can also use it as an alarm clock while it charges overnight.

It only takes a few hours to charge via AC however. It charges pretty fast. This might change with the new battery but we'll see.

If the battery degrades noticeably before a year is up (or 2 years if you buy the extended warranty) you can send it to Apple (or bring it in to the store) and get a free replacement.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
As you're a new user, you'll no doubt end up playing with it a lot more than you would 'play' with your Blackberry, so don't expect battery life to be equivalent to what you have now unless you use it sparingly like you would any other phone.

this reminds me of when i first went to the iPhone from a BB

seemed like i was charging it 2-3 times a day....

VERY ADDICTING!!!

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm used to charging my phone each evening with my BlackBerry. And yeah, I tend to use a phone a lot more when it's new and I'm checking out all of its features. Anyway, it's good to know that Apple will stand behind their products.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
2G still hanging on

The battery life is crazy I bought my 1st gen when it launched in 2007 and it has just now started to exhibit signs of a dying battery. So that is almost 3 versions/3 years later. There are third party services on the internet and local to have the battery replaced but I doubt most users will have it in use for that long. My GF is a basic user which is why she has it she hardly even uses apps on the phone itself beyond Facebook and email. So like everyone said in the 1st year or 2 years if you buy Applecare if you have battery problems take it in to an Apple store and they will replace it quick fast.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
7 hours of 3G talk time? Are you kidding me? I only get 5 hours on 3G. How did you manage that?

I'm talking about iPhone 4, as the question is based on iPhone 4, not 3GS.

And yes to all wondering I am a male.. Though I'd consider it a compliment if you thought my picture looked good enough to be a woman. Hahaha..

Androgyny is pretty popular nowadays amongst youngn's.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

And yes to all wondering I am a male.. Though I'd consider it a compliment if you thought my picture looked good enough to be a woman. Hahaha..

surely the 4's battery will be better but i'm sure people will still complain

__

Jello, i got your back buddy! well, you know what i mean... :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
surely the 4's battery will be better but i'm sure people will still complain

__

Jello, i got your back buddy! well, you know what i mean... :D

People will always complain about Apple products until they actually run on harvested unicorn horns and last 6 days on a 3G phone call... But if an HTC phone gets 5 hours calling time, it's immaculate. Sigh.

sidspappy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Cool. Yeah, androgyny is better served by the young ones. Alas, since I am an old coot, I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

And yes, Apple is always gonna be bashed, and the competitors will be praised. This is part and parcel for hardware and software that is so well designed that everyone expects the darn things to be like Adamantium and run like a perpetual motion engine. :rolleyes:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Cool. Yeah, androgyny is better served by the young ones. Alas, since I am an old coot, I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

And yes, Apple is always gonna be bashed, and the competitors will be praised. This is part and parcel for hardware and software that is so well designed that everyone expects the darn things to be like Adamantium and run like a perpetual motion engine. :rolleyes:

It's really annoying, because the bias is so present even in articles by professional online journalists... It's really annoying. They never judge iPhone and Android devices by the same standard.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's really annoying, because the bias is so present even in articles by professional online journalists... It's really annoying. They never judge iPhone and Android devices by the same standard.

Especially on blogs gizmodo *cough*. Not that I consider the writers at gizmodo to be professional. I used to really love gizmodo, but man did they go down hill.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Especially on blogs gizmodo *cough*. Not that I consider the writers at gizmodo to be professional. I used to really love gizmodo, but man did they go down hill.

I know. It's so annoying, especially their affiliates' articles on valleywag and PCWorld, which they feature. They are HORRIBLE. Anyone who is at all capable of seeing two sides of anything can not possible ignore the bias in those articles.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Exactly

Exactly I read an article on a professional quality site the author was talking about Apple and Android phones and clearly talking about how much better android phones were. He asks for any Apple supporter to prove his points wrong. Then when any Apple person wrote he just dismissed them and called them fanboys :confused: So I said why did you ask for feedback if the only feedback you wanted was supporting your points?? Arghhhh

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR