I'm just wondering, if apple had made the iPhone 4 just a few millimeters thicker, would they be able to fit a larger battery and possibly a CDMA radio as well? React to me.
    Joe
    06-08-2010 09:19 PM
    But what if going thin makes everything work together better? It might be more for functionality and an engineering decision more than an aesthetic decision. CDMA is old technology. GSM is now and the future. Bigger battery is a valid point though.
    06-08-2010 09:21 PM
    Honestly, the battery is what got me started thinking about this. Then I thought, what to do with the rest of the space not occupied by the battery, I came up with 2 benefits. CDMA and / or heat management.
    06-08-2010 09:28 PM
    CDMA radio has too little benefits for Apple. Their biggest target would be Verizon, that's 1 network out of 4 major networks in one country of the world. Other countries really don't use CDMA, Canada's CDMA networks are all either switching to GSM or already have. Ultimately, Apple thinks worldwide, not stateside. Hey that rhymed... Anyway..

The battery of iPhone 4 is already really impressive! The only similar phone able to acheive that kind of battery life is the Nexus One, and it uses an AMOLED screen which assists greatly in battery life but is basically invisible outside. It's also thicker than the iPhone 4 by 2.2mm, yet iPhone 4's battery life is still better. iPhone 4's battery is one of the things that is really impressive about it.

Either way, there will be accessories available for extra battery, and since it's so thin I'm betting battery extenders like the Mophie Juicepack Air will make the iPhone 4 feel like a 3GS with a thin case on or something in terms of size/thickness. So if you don't mind the extra thickness and you want extra battery, that will be an option.
    06-08-2010 09:56 PM
    they should of kept it the same size and put an even bigger battery.
    06-08-2010 11:52 PM
    they should of kept it the same size and put an even bigger battery.
    I totally agree. You can never have too much battery life. And, let's see how good the battery life is. I didn't notice much of an improvement with the 3Gs over the 3G.
    06-09-2010 12:49 AM
    I'm just happy they upgraded the battery at all lol. I have to charge my 3GS at least twice a day if not more. Then again, I almost never set it down. It's so addicting lol.
    06-09-2010 02:47 AM
    Well if you use it that much I honestly wouldn't expect for it to last you much longer! It's not going to run on magic! The battery upgrade is quite significant though. With 3G turned off I'm betting the battery will be as good as the iPad.
    06-09-2010 02:55 AM
    Seriously, at 9.3mm, imagine how much more battery life they would have gotten at 9.5mm or 9.7mm. Thin is nice, but why SO thin? There's a point where it'll be too thin and end up being flimsy.
    06-09-2010 04:31 PM
    Seriously, at 9.3mm, imagine how much more battery life they would have gotten at 9.5mm or 9.7mm. Thin is nice, but why SO thin? There's a point where it'll be too thin and end up being flimsy.
    from the way they talk about that machined steel it was flimsy as a prototype. that is why they machined the steel to make it stronger i don't see the iphone getting any thinner than it is now in the iphone 4 form factor.
    06-09-2010 04:40 PM
    BeyondtheTech
    the iPod touch is even thinner and it's not flimsy at all. Apple is the master of build quality.
    06-09-2010 05:24 PM
    Hands-On testing at WWDC unanimously noted that the phone feels solid, so what's the worry? The speculation about it getting thicker for longer battery life is wishful thinking. Jony Ive almost certainly wanted the thing as thin as possible, for aesthetic reasons. Jobs luvs Ive, so he'd think that idea is the cat's pajamas. Since the battery life is improved over the 3GS, they balanced size versus capacity.

But what do I know? I'm just guessing here.
    06-10-2010 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD