How Apple Tricks You

Read, discuss, argue.
    06-08-2010 05:02 PM
    Most biased article I have ever seen.

The anti-aliasing bull crap is not even worth saying. There's literally zero difference between what was presented and what they came up with.

Really disappointed in Gizmodo for featuring that, I guess after Apple rightfully burned them, all journalistic integrity flew out the window.
    06-08-2010 05:14 PM
    Yea, I had that feeling in my gut when reading that article, Giz went from giving Steve Jobs daily jobs to trying to find anything bad about the new iPhone that they can. It's been fun to watch unfold.
    06-08-2010 05:26 PM
    They got ***** slapped by Steve, now they're trying to do what nfrederick just said. I liked all the comments trashing the author.
    06-08-2010 07:08 PM
    sounds like someone is ANTI-APPLE! They are just maddddddddd... those dang bastards!!! check it out below...
    and Gizmodo can suck "deez nutz"
    apple - Gawker
    06-08-2010 07:25 PM
    Wow, even the headlines of these articles are totally ridiculous

"Apple Apologizes for Snubbing Poor Person"
    "Why Apple Refused a Poor Disabled Woman's Business"
    Are you serious!!!???
    What the fvck!? They didn't turn her away because she's poor, they turned her away because they (at that time) were not accepting cash for iPads! You'd think people who reported the story could use an accurate headline.

And a little update on a Foxconn suicide was tagged "apple"?? I highly doubt they tagged it "dell" or "hp", or any of the other myriad of companies whom actually use Foxconn MORE than Apple does, and are doing LESS for the workers!
    06-08-2010 07:29 PM

The anti-aliasing bull crap is not even worth saying. There's literally zero difference between what was presented and what they came up with.

Really disappointed in Gizmodo for featuring that, I guess after Apple rightfully burned them, all journalistic integrity flew out the window.
    The link was to Gawker. The original article was here: Digital Society Blog Archive Apple faking 489 to 815 PPI on iPhone 4 ads

Look, you only destroy your own credibility when you defend Apple blindly in the face of proof that they lied about the Anti-Aliasing published by someone who has no axe to grind. (former ZDNet technical director George Ou).

You impress no one being a blind fanboy. Its sooo yesterday.

Instead of calling it a biased article prove it wrong. Back up your claim. Remember, this is the same man who claimed Total Kidney Failure was a hormonal imbalance. He has serious issues with the truth.
    06-08-2010 07:37 PM
    The link was to Gawker. The original article was here: Digital Society Blog Archive Apple faking 489 to 815 PPI on iPhone 4 ads

Look, you only destroy your own credibility when you defend Apple blindly in the face of proof that they lied about the Anti-Aliasing published by someone who has no axe to grind. (former ZDNet technical director George Ou).

Instead of calling it a biased article prove it wrong. Back up your claim. Remember, this is the same man who claimed Total Kidney Failure was a hormonal imbalance. He has serious issues with the truth.
    First of all, that article is actually incorrect. Apple shows directly that part of this a is composed of 4 pixels, and part of THIS a, is composed of 16 pixels. The error made in the article is where he confuses the amount of pixels with dpi. He's multiplying by 2, when the screen resolution is 2x larger in both horizontal and vertical, meaning it needs to be multiplied by 4.

Just tested it myself, as a designer I'm curious if he was actually correct.
    Here's what I did:
    Create one document at 326dpi.
    Create another at 163dpi (iPhone 3GS dpi).
    Make a 10pt "a" in both documents.
    Rasterize the "a" in the 163dpi document, then increase the size of the document to 326dpi with "Nearest Neighbour" resampling, to show the accurate pixels.
    Place the 2 "a"s side by side.
    Result:

Seems to me it is not unlike Apple's demonstration.

Also, the increased dpis for the presentation and videos are because it is supposed to be an enlarged representation of what your eye would see. A human eye can not distinguish past 300 dpi, so it is accurate because it will appear smooth to you whether or not it actually is.
    Last edited by Jellotime91; 06-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    06-08-2010 08:06 PM
    Instead of calling it a biased article prove it wrong. Back up your claim.
    First of all, that article is actually incorrect. Apple shows directly that part of this a is composed of 4 pixels, and part of THIS a, is composed of 16 pixels. The error made in the article is where he confuses the amount of pixels with dpi. He's multiplying by 2, when the screen resolution is 2x larger in both horizontal and vertical, meaning it needs to be multiplied by 4.

Just tested it myself, as a designer I'm curious if he was actually correct.
    Here's what I did:
    Create one document at 326dpi.
    Create another at 163dpi (iPhone 3GS dpi).
    Make a 10pt "a" in both documents.
    Rasterize the "a" in the 163dpi document, then increase the size of the document to 326dpi with "Nearest Neighbour" resampling, to show the accurate pixels.
    Place the 2 "a"s side by side.
    Result:

Seems to me it is not unlike Apple's demonstration.

Also, the increased dpis for the presentation and videos are because it is supposed to be an enlarged representation of what your eye would see. A human eye can not distinguish past 300 dpi, so it is accurate because it will appear smooth to you whether or not it actually is.
    Looks like Jellotime91 just backed up his claim. LOL Nice work Jello.
    06-08-2010 09:22 PM

I have never understood why people seem to think that things like this need defending honestly Gawker or wherever this came from is not going to change the fact the phone looks sick and I'm going to buy it as well as pretty much anyone else in this thread. I also never understood why when you defend Apple what's the reaction? you're just a fanboy or as you say we are destroying our own credability. We should really say yes you are right we have all been duped by Apple I guess. Who f'in cares if he lied the phone looks freakin good and no study is going to change that just my thought.
    06-08-2010 10:22 PM
    AMEN!!! i agree with Jello and iPheuria! good job Jello!!!
    06-08-2010 10:47 PM

Could not have said it better myself.
    06-08-2010 10:53 PM
    ^exactly! that whole site is just bashing Apple... dont get ya panties wet "gawker"!!
    06-08-2010 10:55 PM
    Yeah it just gets me pi$$ed off I've seen it so many times they write something about Apple and when you defend it even if you present supporting info the response is always "you're just a fanboy" so I'm like why the f did you post the information then?
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 06-08-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    06-08-2010 11:20 PM
    i know what u mean bro! tons of haters out there... gotta love it :P
    06-09-2010 12:19 AM
    I actually thought Steve's demonstration of the two letter a's was just to explain what pixel density meant in simple terms. I didn't really take it to mean that it looked exactly like what he was showing.

In any case, the article suggests that Apple is lying about the 960 x 640 and that is simply wrong. I think we can all appreciate that the new screen is going to be WAAAAAY better.
    06-09-2010 12:44 AM
    If I only knew it was a giz article before I clicked it. I don't
    and will never respect them. They're ticked off because
    they got served by Apple.

Enjoy some pie Giz... Apple Pie!
    06-09-2010 02:27 AM
    I love jellotime91's post. If I could give you karma, I would. In it's place, have +2 internet
    06-09-2010 02:41 AM
    I don't
    and will never respect them.
    Same. Wish they'd cease to exist.
    06-09-2010 02:49 AM
    Okay so I just now read the article. Are you freaking kidding me? The author of this article is completely full of hate towards Apple and it shows in the lack of any kind of fact checking, I mean heck he has not even held the thing in his hand and his math is all wrong.
    06-09-2010 03:38 AM
    u dont even have to read it to know they are anti-apple... just click on the link and u can see all the anti-apple topics they have... GIZ SUCKS!
    06-09-2010 06:55 AM
    Everyone was feeling sorry for Giz when the editors door got kicked off & when they might find themselves in court for paying for the phone. They paid for a stolen phone because they are not journalists they are just trying to get traffic to their site by any means necessary.
    06-09-2010 07:36 AM
    Everyone was feeling sorry for Giz when the editors door got kicked off & when they might find themselves in court for paying for the phone. They paid for a stolen phone because they are not journalists they are just trying to get traffic to their site by any means necessary.
    And with articles like this, they will definitely accomplish
    the opposite. SMH @ these guys :o
    06-09-2010 10:51 AM
    Well the new resolution is all fine and great and I am excited to use it, but I still think at least going to a 3.7 inch screen would have been ideal. 3.5 isn't a big deal, but after playing with an EVO, 3.7 is the way to go. Their 4.3 is too big, IMHO.
    06-09-2010 11:17 AM
    Well the new resolution is all fine and great and I am excited to use it, but I still think at least going to a 3.7 inch screen would have been ideal. 3.5 isn't a big deal, but after playing with an EVO, 3.7 is the way to go. Their 4.3 is too big, IMHO.
    The thing is, they can't. The screen is as big as it can be in the iPhone's body, and the only way they could make it bigger is changing the aspect ratio, which would totally fvck over developers and fragment the app store between iPhones, something Apple will do anything to avoid.

3.5" is more than large enough, in fact many consumers feel it's too large already, which is why the new slimmer and thinner body is also important. 3.5" is sometimes hard to use one-handed, and 3.7" is much harder, especially with the 16:9 aspect ratio manufacturers are using.

Increasing the screen size would be a mistake. I've had iPhone for 2 years and I still look at it when it's close to my face and I am in awe at how large the screen actually is.
    06-09-2010 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD