Apple lying about iPhone 4 screen?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Most biased article I have ever seen.

The anti-aliasing bull crap is not even worth saying. There's literally zero difference between what was presented and what they came up with.

Really disappointed in Gizmodo for featuring that, I guess after Apple rightfully burned them, all journalistic integrity flew out the window.

nfrederick

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Yea, I had that feeling in my gut when reading that article, Giz went from giving Steve Jobs daily jobs to trying to find anything bad about the new iPhone that they can. It's been fun to watch unfold.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
They got ***** slapped by Steve, now they're trying to do what nfrederick just said. I liked all the comments trashing the author.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Wow, even the headlines of these articles are totally ridiculous

"Apple Apologizes for Snubbing Poor Person"
"Why Apple Refused a Poor Disabled Woman's Business"
Are you serious!!!???
What the fvck!? They didn't turn her away because she's poor, they turned her away because they (at that time) were not accepting cash for iPads! You'd think people who reported the story could use an accurate headline.

And a little update on a Foxconn suicide was tagged "apple"?? I highly doubt they tagged it "dell" or "hp", or any of the other myriad of companies whom actually use Foxconn MORE than Apple does, and are doing LESS for the workers!

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

The anti-aliasing bull crap is not even worth saying. There's literally zero difference between what was presented and what they came up with.

Really disappointed in Gizmodo for featuring that, I guess after Apple rightfully burned them, all journalistic integrity flew out the window.

The link was to Gawker. The original article was here: Digital Society ? Blog Archive ? Apple faking 489 to 815 PPI on iPhone 4 ads

Look, you only destroy your own credibility when you defend Apple blindly in the face of proof that they lied about the Anti-Aliasing published by someone who has no axe to grind. (former ZDNet technical director George Ou).

You impress no one being a blind fanboy. Its sooo yesterday.

Instead of calling it a biased article prove it wrong. Back up your claim. Remember, this is the same man who claimed Total Kidney Failure was a hormonal imbalance. He has serious issues with the truth.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The link was to Gawker. The original article was here: Digital Society ? Blog Archive ? Apple faking 489 to 815 PPI on iPhone 4 ads

Look, you only destroy your own credibility when you defend Apple blindly in the face of proof that they lied about the Anti-Aliasing published by someone who has no axe to grind. (former ZDNet technical director George Ou).

Instead of calling it a biased article prove it wrong. Back up your claim. Remember, this is the same man who claimed Total Kidney Failure was a hormonal imbalance. He has serious issues with the truth.

First of all, that article is actually incorrect. Apple shows directly that part of this a is composed of 4 pixels, and part of THIS a, is composed of 16 pixels. The error made in the article is where he confuses the amount of pixels with dpi. He's multiplying by 2, when the screen resolution is 2x larger in both horizontal and vertical, meaning it needs to be multiplied by 4.

Just tested it myself, as a designer I'm curious if he was actually correct.
Here's what I did:
Create one document at 326dpi.
Create another at 163dpi (iPhone 3GS dpi).
Make a 10pt "a" in both documents.
Rasterize the "a" in the 163dpi document, then increase the size of the document to 326dpi with "Nearest Neighbour" resampling, to show the accurate pixels.
Place the 2 "a"s side by side.
Result:
dpitest.jpg

Seems to me it is not unlike Apple's demonstration.

Also, the increased dpis for the presentation and videos are because it is supposed to be an enlarged representation of what your eye would see. A human eye can not distinguish past 300 dpi, so it is accurate because it will appear smooth to you whether or not it actually is.

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Instead of calling it a biased article prove it wrong. Back up your claim.

First of all, that article is actually incorrect. Apple shows directly that part of this a is composed of 4 pixels, and part of THIS a, is composed of 16 pixels. The error made in the article is where he confuses the amount of pixels with dpi. He's multiplying by 2, when the screen resolution is 2x larger in both horizontal and vertical, meaning it needs to be multiplied by 4.

Just tested it myself, as a designer I'm curious if he was actually correct.
Here's what I did:
Create one document at 326dpi.
Create another at 163dpi (iPhone 3GS dpi).
Make a 10pt "a" in both documents.
Rasterize the "a" in the 163dpi document, then increase the size of the document to 326dpi with "Nearest Neighbour" resampling, to show the accurate pixels.
Place the 2 "a"s side by side.
Result:
dpitest.jpg

Seems to me it is not unlike Apple's demonstration.

Also, the increased dpis for the presentation and videos are because it is supposed to be an enlarged representation of what your eye would see. A human eye can not distinguish past 300 dpi, so it is accurate because it will appear smooth to you whether or not it actually is.

Looks like Jellotime91 just backed up his claim. LOL Nice work Jello.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh brother

I have never understood why people seem to think that things like this need defending honestly Gawker or wherever this came from is not going to change the fact the phone looks sick and I'm going to buy it as well as pretty much anyone else in this thread. I also never understood why when you defend Apple what's the reaction? you're just a fanboy or as you say we are destroying our own credability. We should really say yes you are right we have all been duped by Apple I guess. Who f'in cares if he lied the phone looks freakin good and no study is going to change that just my thought.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site

Could not have said it better myself.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Why bother

Yeah it just gets me pi$$ed off I've seen it so many times they write something about Apple and when you defend it even if you present supporting info the response is always "you're just a fanboy" so I'm like why the f did you post the information then?

Last edited:

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I actually thought Steve's demonstration of the two letter a's was just to explain what pixel density meant in simple terms. I didn't really take it to mean that it looked exactly like what he was showing.

In any case, the article suggests that Apple is lying about the 960 x 640 and that is simply wrong. I think we can all appreciate that the new screen is going to be WAAAAAY better.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
If I only knew it was a giz article before I clicked it. I don't
and will never respect them. They're ticked off because
they got served by Apple.

Enjoy some pie Giz... Apple Pie!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay so I just now read the article. Are you freaking kidding me? The author of this article is completely full of hate towards Apple and it shows in the lack of any kind of fact checking, I mean heck he has not even held the thing in his hand and his math is all wrong.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal