Any idea what is the speed of processor inside iPhone4?

taylormah

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was keeping fingers crossed that Apple would announce some more speed enhancements in this upgrade compared to 3GS. Its Apple's own chip inside, but I was wondering what could be the speed of the chip inside. Even though I am hoping to hear a number like 1GHz, but since it has longer battery life, its making me think probably it would be clocked at somewhere around 600-800MHz. I havent owned any iPhone or iPad before, so I dont know how fluid the UI was before and how the apps performed, but do you guys think it will be any "faster" than 3GS??

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It will definitely be faster than the 3GS, but the 3GS is no slouch. The 3GS is already a very fast device and quite honestly it's always delivered smooth performance at high speeds. When Jobs finally got to load a web page on iPhone 4, it seemed very fast, much faster than 3GS. So that says something for processor speeds.

However, you can compare Android phones by specs, because it's the same OS. But iPhone is not a spec sheet phone. It's not all about numbers. Apple's software optimization takes the hardware very far.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
RAM is likely 256MB. Some reports have said 512, but Gizmodo said on their teardown that it was the same RAM module as in the iPad, so it should be 256MB.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
RAM is likely 256MB. Some reports have said 512, but Gizmodo said on their teardown that it was the same RAM module as in the iPad, so it should be 256MB.

See, I am doubting that though. This phone was built for iOS4, and HD Video Recording / editing. The iPad was built with iOS 4 in mind, and has enough for the multitasking, but not the HD video stuff. This is why I believe the iPhone 4 is running a 1GHZ A4 with 512MB or higher of RAM... and a lowly 32GB :(

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I still don't think 512mb of ram is necessary, even for HD editing.

Like I said before iPhone is not all about the specs. Apple works wonders on software optimization.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
We won't know until it's released and torn apart. I hope it's 1 GHz, but I bet an A4 is just like an Intel core I series. Same foundation, but differences in speed and other factors. As for RAM, 512 would be nice, but most likely 256.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If it's 512 I'm getting the new one. If it's 256 I MIGHT get the new one if i get a good offer for my 3gs.

After seeing how well the 3GS performs next to an Android phone with double the specs, I'm not worried about the RAM! People need to learn that software goes a looong way, especially with Apple.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I still don't think 512mb of ram is necessary, even for HD editing.

Like I said before iPhone is not all about the specs. Apple works wonders on software optimization.

Exactly... Apple doesn't need RAM when their OS is
optimized for maximum performance. I know it'll be
faster than the 3Gs, but I don't think it will be twice
as fast. If it were, Jobs would have mentioned that
like he did last year with the 3Gs vs 3G.

If it's 512 I'm getting the new one. If it's 256 I MIGHT get the new one if i get a good offer for my 3gs.

I'm getting the new one regardless, but I may not sell
my 3Gs if I don't get a substantial offer. I'm looking
for $450-$500 now.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Exactly... Apple doesn't need RAM when their OS is
optimized for maximum performance. I know it'll be
faster than the 3Gs, but I don't think it will be twice
as fast. If it were, Jobs would have mentioned that
like he did last year with the 3Gs vs 3G.

I'm getting the new one regardless, but I may not sell
for $450-$500 now.

WOW! You think you can get that much for it? I'm definitely shopping for a buyer for my 3GS but willing to part with it for 300.... on the 24th;)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I may not sell
for $450-$500 now.

It's really hard to get a good deal for them because people are really stupid and they don't understand how much it costs off contract. When I post up an ad on kijiji I'm gonna list the retail prices along with my price so they understand how much it actually costs when it's not on a 3 year contract..

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It's really hard to get a good deal for them because people are really stupid and they don't understand how much it costs off contract. When I post up an ad on kijiji I'm gonna list the retail prices along with my price so they understand how much it actually costs when it's not on a 3 year contract..

Exactly... It's even better for me in the US because
when it is unlocked, T-mobile users can get the
iPhone a lot cheaper than they would buying it for
$700 off contract. Heck, even AT&T customers
would have to pay that.

taylormah

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
After seeing how well the 3GS performs next to an Android phone with double the specs, I'm not worried about the RAM! People need to learn that software goes a looong way, especially with Apple.

Where did you see that. I would like to see something like this. Any video or comparison article??