If you were to pre-order on the 15th and arrange to pick it up in the store...

Wouldnt you still have to wait in line? I cant imagine what the lines are going to look like and it probably wont be moving at a fast rate. And who knows if the Apple stores are going to have enough inventory for everyone in line.

So what are the benefits of pre-ordering if you have to wait in line and if they sell out by the time you get in the store?

Is is better to have it delivered???

06-08-2010 02:01 PM
    If you order online, you can pick up at the store and they usually allow you to go right on in and pick it up, bypassing the line. The best part is you can take it home and activate it yourself. I am still debating about waiting online or pre-ordering and getting it there. It depends on the money situation.
    06-08-2010 02:38 PM
    how does pre ordering work? when i put in my pre order do they charge my card right then and there for phone or do they wait until it ships? i have never done a pre order before either.
    06-08-2010 02:51 PM
    If you order online, you can pick up at the store and they usually allow you to go right on in and pick it up, bypassing the line. The best part is you can take it home and activate it yourself.
    If this is true, that'd be awesome. I'm 99% sure I'm going to pre-order and go pick it up at 6am . Hopefully there won't be a run on Apple's Web site...

Also, has Apple done this before? (I'm telling myself they haven't, but maybe I'm wrong?)
    06-08-2010 03:01 PM
    Last year I believe.
    06-08-2010 03:08 PM
    how does pre ordering work? when i put in my pre order do they charge my card right then and there for phone or do they wait until it ships? i have never done a pre order before either.
    They usually charge your card right before, (a day or two) before the item ships. With the iPad it was a couple of days, people were getting the charges, although we all knew it was arriving on Apr. 3. I am guessing same thing for the iPhone4.
    With as smooth as the rsvp went for my iPad in store, I will be going that same route.
    06-08-2010 03:26 PM
    If you pre-order through Apple and are upgrading, how will that work since the sim is not the same size? you can't just pop your sim card out and put it in the new phone when it's delivered.
    06-08-2010 04:58 PM
    Sim card comes in all iPhone boxes.
    06-08-2010 05:00 PM
    Sim card comes in all iPhone boxes.
    yes they do, but, how do you get the right number associated with the new card, a trip to the AT&T store? Or, is that a question that is asked when you pre-order?
    06-08-2010 05:03 PM
    yes they do, but, how do you get the right number associated with the new card, a trip to the AT&T store? Or, is that a question that is asked when you pre-order?
    itunes takes care of activation since when you have it sent to your house you can activate it yourself.
    06-08-2010 05:37 PM
    If it's anything like when I pre-ordered my iPad go and get it in store. If you preorder I beleive they have two lines one for preorders and the other longer line for people waiting to get it. So if you preorder you wont have to worry about the phones selling out unless you don't pick it up in time. They charged my card 3 days before my iPad arrived. The problem with having it delivered is if there's alot to be delivered you may have to wait for your delivery. So people standing in line might get it before you
    06-08-2010 05:52 PM
    I will pre-order mine as a hardware upgrade. Nice that Rogers will just bill my account for it.
    06-08-2010 06:47 PM
    When you order from Apple store, they will get all your info including your phone number,,, when you get your iPhone , you will get the micro sim card, associated with your account and number,,, all you have to do it use itunes and then call AT&T and they will activate it and youre good to go!
    06-08-2010 07:09 PM
    If you order online, you can pick up at the store and they usually allow you to go right on in and pick it up, bypassing the line. The best part is you can take it home and activate it yourself. I am still debating about waiting online or pre-ordering and getting it there. It depends on the money situation.

Bypassing the line is only possible when there arent another 50 people there who also pre-ordered it for store pick up

The Apple Store order worked great for me last year,,,
    06-08-2010 07:10 PM
    When u preorder it online, do u pick the ATT store u want to pick it up at??
    06-08-2010 07:18 PM
    If it's anything like when I pre-ordered my iPad go and get it in store. If you preorder I beleive they have two lines one for preorders and the other longer line for people waiting to get it. So if you preorder you wont have to worry about the phones selling out unless you don't pick it up in time. They charged my card 3 days before my iPad arrived. The problem with having it delivered is if there's alot to be delivered you may have to wait for your delivery. So people standing in line might get it before you
    When I picked up my pre-ordered iPad there were two lines like you said but the line for the non pre-order people was shorter and faster. When I got to the head of the line (about an hour), I asked why that was and they said it was because they had to go in and buy one and then leave the store. All of us who pre-ordered got a full demonstration and free setup and that is why they were quicker. I never pre-ordered an iPhone so I don't know how that goes I guess I'll find out on the 24th.
    06-09-2010 12:11 AM
    Talked to my AT&T rep today and he said all preorders will be shipped to your house this year and not the AT&T store.
    06-09-2010 01:44 PM
    My wife is currently on a Verizon month to month, and I can upgrade my 3GS for $18, so I want to buy 2, one for her and one for me. With her being a new ATT customer, do I need to go to an ATT store or can I still pick them up and activate them at home through iTunes?
    06-09-2010 02:16 PM
    I too am new to the "pre-order game". This will be my first year pre-ordering an iPhone and I am thrilled! Only problem is Pay Day for me is the 17th and pre-orders start on the 15th... will I still be able to pre-order the phone two days later, or does Apple put a limit on pre-orders and I run the risk of not being able to pre-order?

Thanks in advance for the probably-stupid-clarification!
    06-09-2010 06:07 PM
    Talked to my AT&T rep today and he said all preorders will be shipped to your house this year and not the AT&T store.
    That's very interesting.
    Obviously if you could pre-order, and have it delivered before you even woke up, everyone would have it delivered to them versus picking it up.
    But, UPS delivers until 7 or 8p.m. I believe, and some people just don't want to wait for the delivery.
    UPS delivers around 2 at my house...I don't mind waiting until then.
    But if what you say is true, looks like everyone will have to wait for the delivery or not pre-order and still end up waiting...but in line.
    06-09-2010 06:24 PM
    I too am new to the "pre-order game". This will be my first year pre-ordering an iPhone and I am thrilled! Only problem is Pay Day for me is the 17th and pre-orders start on the 15th... will I still be able to pre-order the phone two days later, or does Apple put a limit on pre-orders and I run the risk of not being able to pre-order?

Thanks in advance for the probably-stupid-clarification!
    You'll be completely fine.
    Pre-orders will continue until it's release the following Friday, the 25th.

If I remember correctly, these ship directly from the factory in China.
    So if you ordered it on the week of the release, I'm sure you'd have a less chance of it being delivered on it's release day. But since you're ordering it the Friday before, you should be fine for release date delivery.
    06-09-2010 06:28 PM
    You'll be completely fine.
    Pre-orders will continue until it's release the following Friday, the 25th.

If I remember correctly, these ship directly from the factory in China.
    So if you ordered it on the week of the release, I'm sure you'd have a less chance of it being delivered on it's release day. But since you're ordering it the Friday before, you should be fine for release date delivery.
    Thank you very much for putting my iPhone 4-wanting-mind at ease!
    06-09-2010 06:47 PM
    Thank you very much for putting my iPhone 4-wanting-mind at ease!
    You're welcome.

Also know, they don't charge your card until it ships.
    So technically you could order it on Wednesday, get paid Friday, and your card charged the following week. But why risk it?
    06-09-2010 06:50 PM
    You're welcome.

Also know, they don't charge your card until it ships.
    So technically you could order it on Wednesday, get paid Friday, and your card charged the following week. But why risk it?
    You will get the phone if you preorder for sure and since you're in the states they will prob send the bulk of the shipment there anyway. However here in Canada when we were waiting on the iPad there was a delay problem and they said anyone that didn't preorder in the first week of preorders would have to wait until early June to get their iPad. So there is always a chance you might get bumped although for two days don't think it will be much of a problem. Hey be glad you don't live in Canada like me we wont be getting it until late July
    06-09-2010 07:01 PM
    If you pre-order from AT&T and want to pick up in the store it won't be available until the 25th or later.
    06-09-2010 08:58 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD