I have a 3gs with my contract expiring 06/2011. I can get a new iphone 4 for $400 from ATT with a new contract. Should I just jailbreak and unlock my 3gs and sell it on ebay for $400+ and get the new iPhone thus extending my contract another two years or should I wait till the contract expires next year and see what happens then?
    06-08-2010 11:24 AM
    It's a matter of wants and needs. Do you want it or do you need it? I had this debate in my head last night. I installed the GM Candidate seed last night and was thinking it provides nearly all of the features that the new iPhone will do, hardware notwithstanding. So why get the new one? Then again, I will probably just have my nerd factor kick in and buy it and sell my 3Gs.

In the end, as stated above, it's a matter of needs and wants.
    06-08-2010 11:35 AM
    It's a matter of wants and needs. Do you want it or do you need it? I had this debate in my head last night. I installed the GM Candidate seed last night and was thinking it provides nearly all of the features that the new iPhone will do, hardware notwithstanding. So why get the new one? Then again, I will probably just have my nerd factor kick in and buy it and sell my 3Gs.

In the end, as stated above, it's a matter of needs and wants.
    Exactly what he said ^

All depends on your needs and preferences but either way both devices are great.
    06-08-2010 12:31 PM
    Truly a need/ want issue! Agreed! I WANT the new iPhone. I already can't wait and I do know in my head that it's not a necessity. My husband calls them my " toys"
    06-08-2010 12:36 PM
    iPhone 3GS is still a very capable device ...
    06-08-2010 12:37 PM
    Agreed. Certainly a matter of preference. I need to have the capability of taking self-portraits without the hassle so I'm definitely getting the new one.
    06-08-2010 12:50 PM
    I dont need the phone at all but im deff gunna upgrade gotta sell this mint white 32gb 3gs first thats gunna pay for the new one... I say go
    for it
    06-08-2010 01:16 PM
    I have a 3gs with my contract expiring 06/2011. I can get a new iphone 4 for $400 from ATT with a new contract. Should I just jailbreak and unlock my 3gs and sell it on ebay for $400+ and get the new iPhone thus extending my contract another two years or should I wait till the contract expires next year and see what happens then?
    Sounds like you break even and get a much more capable phone. Why are you even asking this question then?
    06-08-2010 01:27 PM
    The iPhone 3Gs screen looks like a toy compared to the latest high density screens. I bet if you go check out an iPhone 4 in the store, you're leaving with one...
    06-08-2010 02:34 PM
    my 3gs is JB so i just keep telling myself that i can wait for new contract. i mean i have everything the iPhone 4 will come with that i want ( other then the front camera) but i don't see myself using that too much until more people get the phone or it can be used with IM or something.

But i know that the one day that i swing by AT&T and i start to mess with the new one ill be leaving with one ....

i just got the iPad couple weeks ago so im hoping that will keep me away just for a little longer .....
    06-08-2010 04:42 PM
    my 3gs is JB so i just keep telling myself that i can wait for new contract. i mean i have everything the iPhone 4 will come with that i want ( other then the front camera) but i don't see myself using that too much until more people get the phone or it can be used with IM or something.

But i know that the one day that i swing by AT&T and i start to mess with the new one ill be leaving with one ....

i just got the iPad couple weeks ago so im hoping that will keep me away just for a little longer .....
    People who skipped a generation on the 3GS and waited for iPhone 4 feel very happy right now, so maybe that's what is right for you.
    06-08-2010 04:45 PM
    People who skipped a generation on the 3GS and waited for iPhone 4 feel very happy right now, so maybe that's what is right for you.
    It seems like the 3GS update period, last year, is the down period in terms of new features. I doubt apple will add any new features for next years phone. So it's better to get on this cycle instead.
    06-08-2010 06:04 PM
    I doubt apple will add any new features for next years phone. So it's better to get on this cycle instead.
    Are you ****ting me?

Apple added tons of crap last year, the 3GS is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3G, just as much as 4 is ahead of 3GS. The only difference is they didn't change the appearance. 3GS is a much more capable piece of hardware, and it will last you through the next year a lot better than the 3G lasted for this last year.
    06-08-2010 06:10 PM
    Here's my take: buy it, AFTER the Dev-Team, or whoever does it, releases a jailbreak and unlock, buy it, cut up your 3GS SIM, and slip it into your iPhone 4, and sell the iPhone 3GS.
    06-08-2010 06:21 PM
    The iPhone 3Gs screen looks like a toy compared to the latest high density screens. I bet if you go check out an iPhone 4 in the store, you're leaving with one...
    This is going to be me, lol. I'm still claiming to those around me that I'm not getting the new phone. Don't need it. BUT...I know I'll go check it out, and once I see it/play with it, I'm gonna want it immediately. Yesterday's video pretty much sucked me in
    06-08-2010 08:58 PM
    Debating this as well. How much will you be able to get for a near mint 32gb 3Gs after iPhone 4 is released?
    06-08-2010 09:51 PM
    If you want to get good money for the 3Gs you better do it before the iPhone 4 drops and the 3Gs start selling for $99 because all the lowballers are going to think every 3Gs is worth that much. Just like the iPad I don't think about want vs needs I just simply think of two things can I use it to make things easier? can I afford it? I already know that the flash means pictures will look so much better.
    06-08-2010 09:59 PM
    I have the 3GS as well and Im still debating if I should get it .I also had the 3G before that and I was very excited for the 3GS. Now ... im not so excited for the 4 but I dont know If I'm going for wait for the 4G ( hypothetical ).

I dont need the 4 , like someone said , the 3GS is still a very capable device. I havent heard how much faster the 4 is over the 3GS.

The only thing i would consider a need is the new antenna design. If the way the previous iPhone were designed caused dropped calls and bad call reception, I would personally buy the 4 just to get away from that problem.

End of the day , its a want / need situation.
    06-08-2010 10:31 PM
    I have the 3GS as well and Im still debating if I should get it .I also had the 3G before that and I was very excited for the 3GS. Now ... im not so excited for the 4 but I dont know If I'm going for wait for the 4G ( hypothetical ).

I dont need the 4 , like someone said , the 3GS is still a very capable device. I havent heard how much faster the 4 is over the 3GS.

The only thing i would consider a need is the new antenna design. If the way the previous iPhone were designed caused dropped calls and bad call reception, I would personally buy the 4 just to get away from that problem.

End of the day , its a want / need situation.
    Well, all I can say is there's going to be a lot of cool **** coming out for iPhone 4 for the next year, so if you can handle hearing about it and not being able to get it, then skip this year. Although, what do you lose by buying it? Sell your 3GS, you can easily get at least $350. Then buy the 16 or 32GB iPhone 4 with the early upgrade (as most users are actually eligible) and you might actually get $100 out of upgrading.. To me that's a win-win.
    06-08-2010 10:43 PM
    Well, all I can say is there's going to be a lot of cool **** coming out for iPhone 4 for the next year, so if you can handle hearing about it and not being able to get it, then skip this year. Although, what do you lose by buying it? Sell your 3GS, you can easily get at least $350. Then buy the 16 or 32GB iPhone 4 with the early upgrade (as most users are actually eligible) and you might actually get $100 out of upgrading.. To me that's a win-win.
    Makes sense ...

But what cool ' **** ' could it really get ? lol. The Android version of street view since it has a gyroscope now... Maybe I'm thinking short term. I think I'm just going to upgrade only when there is a hardware change, like now.

I sold my 3G to some foreigner from the Ukraine who came to my job for the summer. I think I told it for $270 , a 32GB.

The only sucky part is that i got my 3GS wet in February. I'm not entirely bumbed because I planed on giving it to a family member instead of selling it.

For some reason my line isn't eligible for an upgrade this year even though i got the 3GS on launch date last year. Fortunately , someone else on my line is eligible. I just wished that it came in 64GB this year and I'm 99% sure that the iPhone 4G ( hypothetical ) will come in that form factor net year.
    06-08-2010 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD