Steve Didn't Mention iPhone 4's Speed... Why?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that Steve didn't mention the speed of the new hardware really at all. Usually he gives percentages and numbers to represent how much faster or capable the new hardware is, but this year he said nothing!

Why do you think that is? Do you think it's possible that the iPhone 4 is not much faster than the 3GS? Or did he just not have enough time in the presentation to mention it as other features were more important?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I highly doubt it will just be equal. That A4 processor is most likely rated at 1Ghz. I feel like it's going to be an improvement I just wonder how big of an improvement it can be, the 3GS is already very fast.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
My guess is the 570 wifi in the room didn't allow him to get to the demo part and distracted him from parts of his presantation.

It's GOTTA BE faster than 3GS

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow factor

I think at a certain point the speed just becomes moot. The 3Gs is already fast so he probably used the time to discuss things that had more of a wow factor.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
He talked about the A4 chip - mentioning speed would have been redundant.

True, but that's the same as Intel not talking about Core i7 variances, which vary in speeds, cache, and other factors. A Core i7 860 is a lot different than the i7 620M.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, the 3Gs had too much RAM and it was never really utilized with software 3.0. Only with 4.0 will it finally be used.

I've jailbroken my 3GS several times and had all sorts of applications backgrounded at once without any slowdowns. The 3Gs is a beast.

It also could be that the iPhone 4 is not faster because the screen has 4x the pixel density, which means the GPU needs to fire 4x as many pixels. It is probably a small feat just getting it to behave as fast as the 3Gs with that new screen.

In any case, I'm sure iPhone 4 is going to be the shizz...

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I hope that Apple doesn't increase the RAM actually. Force the developers to keep their memory requirements very low and consistent. We don't need some lousy developer programming a game or something intensive that is written rather loose just because they have an extra 256 megs of RAM to play with. Keep it tight and sleak.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
You guys are pretty much right, the SoC on the 3GS is still a monster. I wish I knew more about the A4. I know it uses the same powervr core as the 3GS (and there is nothing wrong with that!). I just don't know how it's fpu compares to something like Snapdragon. From the documentation i can find it seems very similar to the Samsung Hummingbird, and those are thought, aside from the A4, to be the most powerful mobile processors.

The above statement about memory rings especially true. Things staying consistent is what delivers the best apps because the platform investment stays small. Apple being able to update the hardware like they have and not need devs to maintain multiple versions is doubly impressive. The ARM7 core of the iPhone 2G is wimpy by today's standards.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Alli
But he mentions speed benchmarks every freaking year.. It's a staple, I'm so used to it :(..

@Ardoreal
The 3GS really is a beast. Honestly when I wasn't jailbroken it never froze up once, and I always felt like there was more to it than I was accessing in terms of speed. It's a really great device. I think it's still going to be totally pimpin on OS 5. haha

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Well considering ol' Stevie said there's "100 things" and only went through 8 of them, I am sure as heck they'll be plenty more knwon as release day comes....im sure its fast than the 3gs....

EDIT: I just want to know if it can blend, lol, my favorite destruction videos of tech ever....

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2