Can someone tell me if they have added group messaging to the sms and email in iphone os4?
    06-07-2010 07:40 PM
    Can someone tell me if they have added group messaging to the sms and email in iphone os4?
    Group messaging has always been there.. just add more than one contact.
    06-07-2010 07:46 PM
    I'd like a "true" group messaging...like where you create a group and then just select that group to text everybody. I need to text all the players on my hockey team often, and 1) remembering all of them sucks! & 2) there are more than it allows me to enter at one time so I have to do it twice.
    Also, I want to be able to set my own ringtones for messaging (WITHOUT jailbreaking!) and I'm betting that feature is STILL not available in 4!
    06-09-2010 08:21 AM
    I would say your bet about the ringtones for SMS is a safe one which is why my i4 will be JB as soon as it can be.
    06-09-2010 09:10 AM
    You won't be getting OEM text messaging ringtone customization. JB is the only way to go. Now as for your other question, here is what I saw using the GM Candidate build:

I haven't tested that feature since I don't text more than one person at a time usually.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 06-09-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    06-09-2010 09:29 AM
    That sucks about SMS ringtones! I don't wanna jb mine for only that.
    I had my 3gs jb'd to do that and it got all goofed up and stuck on the restore screen so I ended up with 3.1.3 so was screwed then.
    I'll see how the jb goes with the new phone, but for whatever reason I never had much luck jb-ing an iPhone!
    I was always able to do relatively deep tweaking on win mo & android without messing anything up so maybe I need to give jb-ing the iPhone another shot.
    Seems like there were more "supportive" people to help with the other OS's than with iPhone tho - maybe just my imagination, or maybe I was just not asking the right questions or explaining myself correctly...I tended to just get "if u don't know what you're doing, don't try!" - not exactly a helpful way to learn!
    Guess I'll have to five it a shot cuz up to the iPhone I had used the same text alert for about 10 years & really hate not having it! Ridiculous IMO that the "game changing" iPhone 4 doesn't do something that a $20 piece of crap phone can do tho!
    06-09-2010 12:59 PM
    Well I don't know who you asked I've helped tons of people on here or at the very least pointed them in the directions to get some info. Anyway I'll most likely be JBing mine just for this reason I love having different SMS tones and the ability to put endless different ones is awesome. So feel free to PM me if you ever need help.
    06-09-2010 01:28 PM
    Thank you Ipheuria!

I wonder - Has there ever been a reason given why this feature has never been available on the iPhone?!? Seems like EVERYBODY I talk to with an iPhone would like to use custom ringtones for messaging alerts.

That's the funny thing about the iPhone tho...it does SO many things awesome, but there are still a few things that make you scratch your head & wonder why in the world it does (or doesn't) do certain stuff!
    06-09-2010 01:45 PM
    mapleleaf, You're asking to fathom the depths of Steve Job's mind.... a place where few have gone or would care to!
    06-09-2010 01:55 PM
    Thank you Ipheuria!

I wonder - Has there ever been a reason given why this feature has never been available on the iPhone?!? Seems like EVERYBODY I talk to with an iPhone would like to use custom ringtones for messaging alerts.

That's the funny thing about the iPhone tho...it does SO many things awesome, but there are still a few things that make you scratch your head & wonder why in the world it does (or doesn't) do certain stuff!
    I've never spoken to anyone in person who actually cares about their SMS tone. Does it really matter? Custom SMS tones are always so damn tacky. If I made a cellphone I wouldn't include the ability to have custom SMS tones either, it's pointless for 95% of people.
    06-09-2010 03:02 PM
    Ain't that the truth. No custom SMS tones, garbage notification system, inability to snooze a calendar event....I could go on for a little bit more. Hell we're just now getting the ability to change the wallpaper! They do leave me scratching me head at times.
    06-09-2010 03:02 PM
    Ain't that the truth. No custom SMS tones, garbage notification system, inability to snooze a calendar event....I could go on for a little bit more. Hell we're just now getting the ability to change the wallpaper! They do leave me scratching me head at times.
    Some things we will probably never get, like the custom SMS tones.

Other things are just a matter of Apple's focus. They prioritize in different ways than other companies and it seems to be working for them so don't think they will be changing.
    06-09-2010 03:11 PM
    I've never spoken to anyone in person who actually cares about their SMS tone. Does it really matter? Custom SMS tones are always so damn tacky. If I made a cellphone I wouldn't include the ability to have custom SMS tones either, it's pointless for 95% of people.
    Yeah, it really matters to me...or I wouldn't be wondering about it. I know about 15 people at work & on my hockey team that ALL want to be able to customize their SMS tone. So that's 100% of the people I know with iPhones.

Anyway, I will probably end up jb-ing it so I can do it...may be hitting Ipheuria up for some tips when I do!
    06-09-2010 05:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD