Os 4.0

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
With all of this talk about AT&T Data Plans and iPhone 4/HD/Whatever leaks did we forget about the release of OS 4.0? Personally, I'm still really excited to download and install it on my 3Gs. Probably more excited and interested than I am in this other stuff.

What about the rest of you? When do you think it will be available? I'm keeping my fingers crossed and really hoping for next week during the conference.

camperdown9

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Difficult to know when 4.0 will be made available. Might be during WWDC and I guess thats when Apple would like it to be ready. However last year 3.0 was a week after WWDC.

I guess it could really be anytime. I think in the past there has been an update to iTunes just before the new OS. So maybe thats the sign we need to look out for.

Alex

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
They will release it a few days before the G4/HD goes on sale. The reason for this is that they don't want to have too many downloads and activations attempting to make connections on the server at once, which caused a HUGE delay during the iPhone 3G / OS 2.0 release (I was first in line, took me 2.5 hrs to get out of the store with my phone activated). Last year they released 3.0 2 or maybe 3 days before the 3GS was sold.

In any case, after the BETAs are done, the GM(Gold Master) will be released, which is the exact same as the final FW and can be installed on ANY iPhone (except first gens, ha). I suspect the GM will be released on June 7th along with the announcement of the new iPhone.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I cannot wait for this update. I hope it is as exciting as I have built it up in my head to be. I just want Fast App Switching. I think it will make using an iPhone a totally different experience. It will be great to be able to be browsing or gaming and answer texts and emails.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I cannot wait for this update. I hope it is as exciting as I have built it up in my head to be. I just want Fast App Switching. I think it will make using an iPhone a totally different experience. It will be great to be able to be browsing or gaming and answer texts and emails.

AGREED.
The fast app switching is something I find really exciting.
However I think they need a better OS-wide solution to quickly reply to things.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Quick reply would be sweet, especially for text messaging but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
They need a new notification system as well.. DESPERATELY.
I really will be disappointed if they don't unveil a new notification system.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
On notifications - I always thought a notifications app would be nice. You would still receive badges on the individual app but the notification app would be a central app that would house all of your notifications. This would eliminate "missed" notifications and allow the user to selectively address specific notifications.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I personally am really not looking forward to OS 4. During the announcement I was underwhelmed with the 7 key points Steve announced. I understand their are "over 100 other changes" or something but unless these changes include information on the lock screen, a new notification system, and quick access to settings I'll still jailbreak.

Heck, depending on what exactly is included I might not even upgrade. As of right now the only thing that upgrading will do for me is allow me to remove backgrounder and circuitous - which I don't use all that much anyway.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
On notifications - I always thought a notifications app would be nice. You would still receive badges on the individual app but the notification app would be a central app that would house all of your notifications. This would eliminate "missed" notifications and allow the user to selectively address specific notifications.

That's what boxcar does for some services isn't it?
I'd prefer an OS-wide feature rather than an "app" though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2