iPhone Sync to Different Computer?

McAlsop

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
My wife's iPhone was previously synced to her laptop (with her own iTunes account). She hasn't purchased any apps or music. Heck, she probably only connected it to her computer the day she bought it.

I'd like to now sync her iPhone to my computer and use my iTunes account so she can have all my apps and music. I know this is possible simply by plugging her iPhone into my computer. However, she needs to keep all her mail settings & contacts. Is this possible? Or does it always completely wipe it when syncing to a new computer?

The main reason is that her IT department had to do some special setup to get her email.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
My wife's iPhone was previously synced to her laptop (with her own iTunes account). She hasn't purchased any apps or music. Heck, she probably only connected it to her computer the day she bought it.

I'd like to now sync her iPhone to my computer and use my iTunes account so she can have all my apps and music. I know this is possible simply by plugging her iPhone into my computer. However, she needs to keep all her mail settings & contacts. Is this possible? Or does it always completely wipe it when syncing to a new computer?

The main reason is that her IT department had to do some special setup to get her email.
I agree with Alli that that her "settings" will not be wiped. Nonetheless, I would probably record any settings that you know to be special.

I am trying to decide what will happen with PIM data. You do not want her calendar and contacts to sync with yours. Do you each have an ID on the iTunes machine?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like work is giving her Exchange settings, so I wouldn't worry about the contacts/cal either.

Xtian80

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question...my wife has an iphone (personal) and has downloaded apps, I am planning to get the new iphone (personal) and plan on downloading some more apps, what i am wondering is...will i have to re-buy the apps that she already has if i want them on my iphone? Is there anyway to have the same apps on 2 different phones without buying them twice?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
1st poster like Alli said syncing her phone shouldn't be a problem. What I would do is connect your phone and make sure the automatic sync option is unchecked. Then when you connect hers just to each tab and select the things you want to sync. So uncheck the calendar and email options. Then if you like you can enable the auto sync feature. The 2nd person yes you can both have the apps my GF and I do that I buy the apps and she syncs on my laptop or her iTunes gets updated with homesharing. If you only have one computer just sync them both with it if you have two computer do a search for homesharing there are threads already here on the process.

Xtian80

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
1st poster like Alli said syncing her phone shouldn't be a problem. What I would do is connect your phone and make sure the automatic sync option is unchecked. Then when you connect hers just to each tab and select the things you want to sync. So uncheck the calendar and email options. Then if you like you can enable the auto sync feature. The 2nd person yes you can both have the apps my GF and I do that I buy the apps and she syncs on my laptop or her iTunes gets updated with homesharing. If you only have one computer just sync them both with it if you have two computer do a search for homesharing there are threads already here on the process.

Thank you for the advice

AMVMommy

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Just want to verify I'm doing this correctly. We got an iPad last night and my husband synced with his iTunes account rather than mine. What I'd like to do is switch it to my iTunes account (movies, photos, more likely to sync frequently) and then use Home Sharing to transfer his apps over. If I'm reading this right, all I need to do is sync the iPad with my account and it will overwrite everything? There are no contacts, calendar, etc. entries. Just apps and a bit of music and podcasts, all of which I can bring over with home sharing. Anything else I'd need to do?

Thanks-

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW