AT&T coverage in DC Metro Area

mtbrown75

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I am currently with Sprint. I am really interested in getting the iPhone 3gs or the new version that may come out this summer. I hear so many stories about AT&T's coverage and wanted to know if there was anyone who has the iphone in the Washington, D.C. Metro area who can comment on how their coverage is.

mtbrown75

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing is no I don't know anyone who has an iphone anymore (a couple of friends use to have one last year). All of firends have Verizon or Sprint.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
I recently drove from NC to PA and the gps brought me through DC on 295 and on the way back it brought me through damn down town on some road where it is impossible to take a left turn.

Regardless, i spent the 3 hours stuck in dc traffic on my iPhone on 3G commenting on a few websites and talking at the same time to my wife. I had no problems but im not sure what area you may live in. Maybe get one and see how it works in the areas you'll be and if you like it, cancel your old line and port the number. The port does not have to be done when you first get the phone.

mtbrown75

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I recently drove from NC to PA and the gps brought me through DC on 295 and on the way back it brought me through damn down town on some road where it is impossible to take a left turn.

Regardless, i spent the 3 hours stuck in dc traffic on my iPhone on 3G commenting on a few websites and talking at the same time to my wife. I had no problems but im not sure what area you may live in. Maybe get one and see how it works in the areas you'll be and if you like it, cancel your old line and port the number. The port does not have to be done when you first get the phone.

Thanks Guzman, I think I am going to take the plunge. For the past for months I have been playing around with the 3gs at the AT&T store.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a 30 day return policy actually.. Could be wrong but I know with Rogers it's 30.

Also, if you weren't planning to already, I'd suggest you wait until the 7th and see what the new iPhone offers.

zoyd

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Been in the DC area on at&t w/iphone for the past 2 years, great 3G coverage. (except during inauguration on the mall but that doesn't count)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I am currently with Sprint. I am really interested in getting the iPhone 3gs or the new version that may come out this summer. I hear so many stories about AT&T's coverage and wanted to know if there was anyone who has the iphone in the Washington, D.C. Metro area who can comment on how their coverage is.

Washington Metro was one of the first markets to get 3G. It got it from the old AT&T Wireless. There were only a dozen or so of those markets. The service was excellent and should still be.

That AT&T Wireless was acquired, along wtih the brand, by Cingular. It is that Cingular that we now think of as AT&T, "the steaming pile of failure." For several years, only those markets acquired with 3G had it. The build out was very slow and the product in New York City, San Francisco, and perhaps other markets, was also very slow.

In fairness to AT&T, I was in lower Manhattan over the weekend. While the three iPads in the conference room could see the WiFi (iBahn) that everyone else was using, we got an error in response to our attempts to login. My Verizon MiFi was painfully slow. I signed up for AT&T 3G on my iPad and it was dramatically faster than Verizon, at least in that location. As the man says, "local coverage trumps everything" and "your mileage may differ."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen