Will the new iPhone actually be a better phone???!!!

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
That's my question. I love the iPhone for everything about this phone but the phone. We already know many of the great new features in 4.0 and the device has no peers for everything but the phone.*

My company switched me to the iPhone 3gs in December from a blackberry. I have been with AT&T for almost 10 years. I have never experienced so many dropped calls, failed calls and calls that won't connect. As I said, this was never an issue with my berries. I know AT&T is not perfect but it definitely is partial fault to the iPhone. I will not go back to the berries but I am thinking about going data only on my iPhone through my company. Hopefully the new G4 or HD will have a much better radio and will not hve these issues. What so you guys think?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That's my question. I love the iPhone for everything about this phone but the phone. We already know many of the great new features in 4.0 and the device has no peers for everything but the phone.*

My company switched me to the iPhone 3gs in December from a blackberry. I have been with AT&T for almost 10 years. I have never experienced so many dropped calls, failed calls and calls that won't connect. As I said, this was never an issue with my berries. I know AT&T is not perfect but it definitely is partial fault to the iPhone. I will not go back to the berries but I am thinking about going data only on my iPhone through my company. Hopefully the new G4 or HD will have a much better radio and will not hve these issues. What so you guys think?

Often, turning off 3G can help this.

To be fair the iPhone IS a great phone, just not on AT&T.

I've been using iPhone on Rogers since July 2008 and I have only had one dropped call ever and I'm pretty sure that was due to the jailbreak activity I had going on.

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Ctt1wbw,
I would need your hands, my hands and a few hundred family members hands to count all my dropped calls. I travel a good bit and live in Atlanta. I have the problem where ever I go. It is a real issue. People that say it is not are kidding themselves.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ctt1wbw,
I would need your hands, my hands and a few hundred family members hands to count all my dropped calls. I travel a good bit and live in Atlanta. I have the problem where ever I go. It is a real issue. People that say it is not are kidding themselves.

People that say it is not are often on competent networks, like Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc.

AT&T is working on improving their network. It's true you may not have noticed as many dropped calls on a blackberry on the same network, however it's just something about the combination of the iPhone's radios with AT&T's network that just doesn't work properly for many customers. However the voice of the dissatisfied will always be louder than the voice of the satisfied customers.

Reactions: Watcher

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
The thing is, we aren't answering the question. We can argue the obvious but it really doesn't matter. My question is do we think Apple is working on or will include better radios and/or compatibility with AT&T networks? I am really hoping so and the new iPhone will be better at phone calls.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well, Apple seems to have reception issues all over the world, some much more than others, as one voiced above that Rogers wasn't really an issue. I get several dropped calls a week, mostly when driving around. I think it falls on Apple to get their radios better or firmware better. I don't understand that side of the technology, so it's just a guess.

ugahairydawgs

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, Apple seems to have reception issues all over the world, some much more than others, as one voiced above that Rogers wasn't really an issue. I get several dropped calls a week, mostly when driving around. I think it falls on Apple to get their radios better or firmware better. I don't understand that side of the technology, so it's just a guess.

Agreed. Everyone likes to complain about AT&T and saying they are to blame for the crappy performance people get with their iPhone. I have been a Cingular/AT&T customer now for 8 years and can count on one hand the number of dropped calls I have had. I get great service when I am at home. I get great service when I travel. Unless I am out in the middle of nowhere I constantly have a good, strong signal.

The strong (and seemingly contagious) rants against AT&T didn't start until the iPhone hit the market....and I don't think that is a coincidence. Part of it is because I don't think anyone knew the iPhone was going to take off like it did and subsequently cripple the network at times. But I also think part of it is due to Apple focusing so much on creating a multimedia device with a good web browser that they neglected certain aspects of the device, such as the radio firmware.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The thing is, we aren't answering the question. We can argue the obvious but it really doesn't matter. My question is do we think Apple is working on or will include better radios and/or compatibility with AT&T networks? I am really hoping so and the new iPhone will be better at phone calls.

Apple is always working on that but they can only do so much. They can't fix the network with a phone. Also having many of the device on the network contributes to the problem.

ghostface147

I think the more saturated the network is with iPhone users, the worse the iPhone experience becomes. America has 333 million people, Canada has about 33mil. If 5% of Candians bought iPhones on Rogers, and 5% of Americans bought iPhones on AT&T, that's 1.65m VS 16.65m ... BIG difference.

In significantly more populous countries, the iPhone experience is worse. :p

Reactions: Watcher

Cobra5mil

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
We already know that Apple has been working with AT&T to improve how the iPhone uses the cell network. The Wall Street Journal reported on March 31, 2010 that Apple and AT&T were "rejigger" how the iPhone works with AT&T's towers and Apple received a "crash course in wireless technology."

Only time will tell.

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine was having problems with dropped calls on his 3G, especially at his home. He got so fed-up that he quit AT&T and went to Verizon. He got tired of the slow surfing on his Android phone (not sure which one) and decided to give AT&T another try. He got a 3Gs phone. Suddenly he has very few dropped calls.

Moral of the story is that his first phone was probably defective.

Could you swap iPhones with a coworker just to compare?

Good luck.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i get dropped calls here and there and i get a few "call failed". I wonder if the iPhone on Verizon will have a SIM...hmmm...??

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
My whole team has an iPhone. I have spoken to each one about theirs and they do think I may have issues with mine being defective. Even so, we all came from Blackberries and each one admits they have more dropped calls than they ever did on the berries. I am starting to believe I may have a bad one. I am going to wait this out and see what the new phone in June brings. I have an upgrade available on my family plan and will use it. My hope is the patented ceramic back panel, better radio and better antenna all make for a much better phone. That is the nature of this thread. I was hoping someone may have some insight to this. My line of thinking is it will be a better phone. Apple realizes the issues. I guarantee you when Steve drops a call he gets frustrated. He is just that type. He will want Apple to have done everything in their power to fix it.

I hate to keep harping on berries but if they do one thing good besides email, its their radios in their phones. I have a friend that does field testing for AT&T and he stated RIM thoroughly tests multiple radios on every network throughout the country before releasing their final phone with final radio version. I know Apple has to do something of the sort. Let's just hope they get it right this time.

iPaladin27

May 12, 2010
Visit site
People that say it is not are often on competent networks, like Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc.

AT&T is working on improving their network. It's true you may not have noticed as many dropped calls on a blackberry on the same network, however it's just something about the combination of the iPhone's radios with AT&T's network that just doesn't work properly for many customers. However the voice of the dissatisfied will always be louder than the voice of the satisfied customers.
This. Yes. That's because satisifed customers don't feel the need to whine about being satisfied. As it turns out, I have very few dropped calls on my
3GS

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have a basic rule of thumb that works well, at least here in Houston. If a call drops and the other end hears a busy signal, I dropped the call. If they don't hear a busy signal, it was them. I wish there was a way to see which end dropped the call.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
New backing material on the new model may improve reception. I know reception was increased greatly when we went from 2G (metal back) to the newer 3G/3GS plastic backing. Maybe this new flat glass/ceramic/whatever is is will give us a similar boost in reception.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
New backing material on the new model may improve reception. I know reception was increased greatly when we went from 2G (metal back) to the newer 3G/3GS plastic backing. Maybe this new flat glass/ceramic/whatever is is will give us a similar boost in reception.

I don't think anything will get better reception than plastic does now. However I think AT&T has made real improvements in their network.

sirchip

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
i had issues with att when it was cingular back in the day but not as bad as now...just earlier today i watched my phone go from a pretty strong signal on 3g to e to nothing and then back again in about a minute. btw on a 3g phone about 16 months old.

CorvZ061

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Ctt1wbw,

I'm about 30 miles east of ATL and have only dropped maybe one call. have you brought your phone to the apple store to get it checked out?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR