Would You Like Spell-Check in OS 4.0?

Spell-Check on iPhone 4.0.. Is It Useful?

• Yes!

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Just curious, do you guys think you'd actually benefit from having spell-check in iPhone OS 4.0? I know it's going to be there regardless, but I'm just wondering how useful you think it will be. I've heard it's not particularly useful or accurate on the iPad. For me, I'd probably end up turning it off because so many things would not be in the iPhone's dictionary. Is there an option when you tap on a misspelled word to add it to the dictionary?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I see what you mean. Doesn't the word replacement feature on the phone halfway do something like this? I voted maybe cuz I'd have to wait and see.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I see what you mean. Doesn't the word replacement feature on the phone halfway do something like this? I voted maybe cuz I'd have to wait and see.

Check out typing on the iPad, when the auto-correct feature misses a word and it's spelled incorrectly it gets underlined by a red, dotted line. You can then tap that word and choose a word to correct it with.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The auto-correct feature seems is enough for me. Heck, when typing, you can be 3 or 4 letters short and the correct words pops up.

I do know how useful this will be for some though.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Ya that's what I meant by the auto correction halfway working because half of the time it'll replace the word you misspelled wrong with the correctly spelled word. And the other half of the time the spell check could be use to catch the completely off words that it doesn't catch. I'll have to go play with the iPad more. I haven't used it enough to know how it really works. Maybe it would be useful when you turn auto-correction off? So then you still know if a word is misspelled but you don't get the sometimes annoying word change when you forget to X it out.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Aren't you able to add to the dictionary? It won't underline them at that point.

I'm not sure, I asked that but nobody answered (see above). It doesn't seem in-line with Apple's auto-correct feature, seeing as you can only reset the dictionary and can't add any words to it without re-typing them several times.

rgar3388
That's a really good point.
Although I can't see myself doing that as I'm used to typing very fast and without auto-correct I make quite a few mistakes, with auto-correct I make zero.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
@ jellotime Ya I agree. Auto-correct is a life saver. I thought about it a little more and I guess spell check would help out when writing a formal, important, or business email. It would be a second lifeline.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh