Morning all, apologies if this gets asked everyday but having googled my issue many times I have just got confused and hoping that I might the answer here.

Basically my iPhone 3GS woke up yesterday to the Apple logo and would not get past it. I tried everything to restore it normally with the hard reset, leaving it hooked up to iTunes and to no avail.

I ended up having to restore it within iTunes which means I have now been forced to upgrade to the 3.1.3 firmware. Obviously this means that I have lost my jailbreak and unlock.

Having googled how to jailbreak/unlock from 3.1.3 it appears at the moment that for anyone who is already running that firmware on a 3GS it is not possible and as such I am a little screwed at the moment.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or whether there is anything out there which will allow me to get the phone up and running again.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

R2R
    05-13-2010 03:30 AM
    Spirit jailbreak!!! Google it.
    05-13-2010 03:45 AM
    Spirit jailbreak!!! Google it.
    I have seen that and was wondering if someone would point me in that direction, however, this puts me off doing it:

"It is also important to note here that Spirit wont unlock your phone. It is a jailbreaking tool only that will only work on devices which are activated via iTunes. So if you rely on an unlock, DO NOT upgrade to stock firmware or youll be stuck. Unlock for iPhone 3.1.3 on 05.12.01 baseband wont be out before the next iPhone hit the shelves. And that wont be before June/July of this year."

Will this work for a phone which is now running the 3.1.3 firmware already?
    05-13-2010 03:50 AM
    Are you using your iPhone for a different carrier than it was made for? If not, don't worry about that. That's only talking about unlocking which is different from jailbreak. Even 4.0 beta devices can jailbreak using spirit. It works for every firmware.
    05-13-2010 05:04 AM
    Are you using your iPhone for a different carrier than it was made for? If not, don't worry about that. That's only talking about unlocking which is different from jailbreak. Even 4.0 beta devices can jailbreak using spirit. It works for every firmware.
    Apologies, I probably wasn't clear in my initial post.

I am using an iPhone that has previously unlocked so I can use it for a different carrier than it was originally made. This is the reason (having done a fair bit of googling) I think I might be stuck for the time being?

Thanks for the help as well!
    05-13-2010 05:54 AM
    You are correct in your original assumption. You can j/b 3.1.3, but you cannot unlock. So yes, you are currently up the proverbial creek.
    05-13-2010 06:39 AM
    You are correct in your original assumption. You can j/b 3.1.3, but you cannot unlock. So yes, you are currently up the proverbial creek.
    Hi Alli, thanks for the confirmation, I thought as much but just thought I'd check! Will just have to keep an eye on the Dev Blog for an update in the (hopefully) near future!

r2r
    05-13-2010 06:53 AM
    R2r , which carrier were you using the iPhone on?
    05-13-2010 11:07 AM
    R2r , which carrier were you using the iPhone on?
    T-Mobile although no idea who the original carrier that it's now locked to is!
    05-13-2010 11:35 AM
    I'm guessing AT&T...
    05-13-2010 01:02 PM
    gotta pay to play is what some say..

hey i'm a poet and didn't know it.
    05-13-2010 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD