I have a 32GB 3GS that about 6 months ago I dropped into a large trash bin with just enough water in the bottom to change the visible indicators pink.

I've not had a single issue with the phone since this happened. Battery life is fine, no screen issues, buttons work fine, speaker/mic works fine.

Recently the power button has broken. It no longer has any "throw". It works if you press it just right. There is also a pretty significant crack on the backside right at the dock connector. I've seen this crack on several people's iphones so I assume it's pretty common.

What do you think the chances are of me getting it replaced due to the power button and crack?

Steve
    Last edited by baneonrt; 05-15-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    05-05-2010 07:03 PM
    Apple will probably charge you $199 to get a replacement.
    05-05-2010 07:05 PM
    I would imagine that because of the water indicators you will not be able to get a replacement phone under warranty. It might be worth a shot, but I honestly don't see them doing it.
    05-05-2010 07:30 PM
    Maybe you can go to the Apple Store for its replacement.
    05-06-2010 08:17 PM
    Update!

Was at the apple store looking for an iPad case and decided to schedule a genius appointment to have the iphone looked at. An hour later I told the genius about the power button and crack and also told them up front that both water sensors had been tripped but that the phone worked fine and showed no ill effects that could be blamed on water damage.

They ended up replacing it under warranty! The official replacement justification is the crack in the case. They said the power button is usually caused by dropping the phone so didn't put that down in the paperwork.

I'm glad I finally decided to give it a shot. Just figured I'd update this post with the conclusion.

Thanks,

Steve
    05-15-2010 07:13 PM
    Wow, I am very surprised that they actually replaced it. That is very cool of them!
    05-16-2010 02:01 PM
    Me too. WTG Apple!
    05-16-2010 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD