iPhone OS 4 vs. Blackberry 6

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm an iPhone fan as much as the next guy and am extremely excited about the OS 4 coming out this summer. But the blackberry 6 OS looks pretty nice. What are your thoughts? Is it enough to make you switch, or never in a million years?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
If you want a pure messaging device, nobody does it better than BlackBerry. But in my opinion, BB is a one-trick-pony. When it comes to app variety, web browser, and multimedia functions, BB doesn't even come close.

BB OS 6 does look promising and may be a leap......for BB owners. In my eyes, RIM is simply trying to keep their lead in market-share from shrinking anymore than it already has.

In the end, you have to decide what your needs are and which device fits those needs the best. For me, productivity, entertainment, multimedia, and OS updates/support are the most important things to me. For that reason, iPhone fits my needs.

Just my .02 :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't exactly see what's better about messaging on a Blackberry. Right now I can see BBM as the only difference, however when iPhone OS 4 comes out iChat will ruthlessly murder it.

If you're stuck on a Blackberry, congrats for finally getting two-way sync for read/unread status in Gmail... It's sad when your claim to fame is email and you can't even do that right with one of the most popular email clients in the world. OS 6 might be a good improvement because of the webkit browser, but a browser don't make an OS.

I personally think OS 6 looks even more tacky and stylized than OS 5... It looks worse in my opinion, and the new little features like kinetic scrolling have been perfected on the iPhone for 3 years...

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
What I think is really funny is that the CEO of RIM came out with this huge rant about how touchscreen phones are not what people are wanting and then BB OS 6 comes out and the whole ad is showing how it will work on the Storm. I would be interested to see how it will fare on a device like the 9700 that will not support many of the features that are shown in the OS 6 vid. To me it really looks like they are trying to copy the iPhone OS and not doing a very good job of it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What I think is really funny is that the CEO of RIM came out with this huge rant about how touchscreen phones are not what people are wanting and then BB OS 6 comes out and the whole ad is showing how it will work on the Storm. I would be interested to see how it will fare on a device like the 9700 that will not support many of the features that are shown in the OS 6 vid. To me it really looks like they are trying to copy the iPhone OS and not doing a very good job of it.

Yep.. I think they will bring out a lot more touch phones now though, including that hideous new slider thing.

killthelights32

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree that BB OS 6 is probably a great improvement (for BB owners). But as a current Bold 9700 owner, all I am left wondering is how this new os will work on my non-touchscreen device. And the fact that these new devices released last week carry double the memory so they are "OS 6 ready" makes me wonder how well the new OS will actually run on my 9700?

I switched from BlackBerry to iPhone back to BlackBerry because I missed the tight messaging reliability and instant-push everything technology.

But I miss apps, universal OS updates, and seamless iTunes integration more. Can't wait for the fourth generation iPhone this June/July. :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

I switched from BlackBerry to iPhone back to BlackBerry because I missed the tight messaging reliability and instant-push everything technology.
Exactly what push features were missing for you on iPhone? Just curious. I have my push gmail, and push notifications for everything else, so I don't really see what's missing?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Whats so great about iChat? I've never used it, so I'm curious.

Mobile iChat will offer features that BBM doesn't have, such as video chat, possibly audio chat (though maybe not because of cell carriers), and likely will support file sharing, all over data instead of your carrier's SMS/MMS charges. It will be very full-featured compared to BBM's barebones essential service.

Not only that though, BBM is a lockin. Girls in high school here in Canada buy pink blackberrys to be trendy and BBM eachother. They treat it like an exclusive club and if you don't have a blackberry, you obviously can't BBM someone. iChat will serve the same purpose, only you don't have to use an ancient OS on a POS hardware to access the service, and it also has a desktop companion. Much better option in my opinion haha.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I'm an iPhone fan as much as the next guy and am extremely excited about the OS 4 coming out this summer. But the blackberry 6 OS looks pretty nice. What are your thoughts? Is it enough to make you switch, or never in a million years?

Have you ever used a BlackBerry device? I have. Several of them. There is nothing in BB OS 6 that will make me want to return to them, unless my job depended on it. Luckily, my job does not depend on it.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Canada as well, btw.

So you're saying iChat will have apps for competing platforms, rather than being apple device exclusive?

I don't recall getting SMS/MMS charges when sending files over bbm.
Pretty sure it's just part of your regular monthly data.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
There is nothing in BB OS 6 that will make me want to return to them, unless

Unless you want to lose some weight by becoming bulimic. I literately want to vomit every single time the higher-ups at work bring me their BBs wanting me to fix/configure ________. The menus are so convoluted....no organization what so ever.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Canada as well, btw.

So you're saying iChat will have apps for competing platforms, rather than being apple device exclusive?

I don't recall getting SMS/MMS charges when sending files over bbm.
Pretty sure it's just part of your regular monthly data.

No I'm not saying that, but iChat is also available on the desktop for free on a Mac or PC (through iChat or AIM), so it has a desktop companion. What I meant was that so many people already have iPhone and iPod touch, and Blackberry OS is so ancient and the hardware generally sucks aside from the keyboard.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2