I'm currently a Blackberry user who is thinking of getting a Iphone 3gs. The web on BB is to slow for me. I want to hear the true pros and cons of this device before I get one. My other concern is that I hear that a new OS 4 is coming out, how do you update to new OS? On my BB there is a wireless update option (although it never works). Does iphone have this? Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    05-03-2010 08:47 PM
    There is a very very good chance there will be a new iPhone coming out this summer. If I were you I would wait. Either way you could get the new one or get a great deal on the 3GS ( I am sure it will be heavily discounted when the new iPhone is revealed).

In terms of updates, if there is an update available iTunes will prompt you to update when you sync your phone. Very quick and easy process.
    05-03-2010 09:00 PM
    There is a very very good chance there will be a new iPhone coming out this summer.
    There is a 100% chance there is a new iPhone coming out this summer. :P

And yes, you should absolutely wait.

There is no wireless update option for iPhone because each firmware update is 250mb+ in size. If the option doesn't work on BB I'm sure you wouldn't mind going without it right? :P Plus, BB doesn't have much reason to connect to the PC. The iPhone does, to sync your media content and apps. So connecting it to your computer isn't really a laborious task.

In my opinion, iPhone OS 4 lacks nothing next to Blackberry. It has just as much email support (push, threaded emails, etc.), support for multiple exchange accounts calendar and contact syncing with Google, Exchange, or MobileMe.. It's really fully featured.

You really aren't losing much at all aside from a physical keyboard and a notification light. The new iPhone is the way to go though, don't buy a 3GS. It's tempting but the new one will be a much better buy.
    05-03-2010 09:06 PM
    Yea I read about the new 4g possibly coming out, but I can't wait that long lol. This BB is slow as well water. Anyway what is syncing? Is that something. I have to do on a desktop pc? I don't have one. All my computing is done on my phone.
    05-03-2010 09:08 PM
    Yea I read about the new 4g possibly coming out, but I can't wait that long lol. This BB is slow as well water. Anyway what is syncing? Is that something. I have to do on a desktop pc? I don't have one. All my computing is done on my phone.
    Yes you need to have a desktop of laptop in order to sync. If you do not have one then I would tell NOT to get an iPhone. There is no way to do music movies ect ect on the iPhone without a computer.
    05-03-2010 09:23 PM
    You need a computer and an Internet connection to activate and sync content to your iPhone. Do you actually not have a computer!?

Anyway, the new iPhone will be announced in one month. If you do decide to get one, you really should wait until it comes out.
    05-03-2010 09:36 PM
    Hmmm ok. Guess I can use friends pc to do that stuff. You can watch movies on it? Is that the 16g or 32g? Thanks for the replies.
    05-03-2010 09:36 PM
    ... I think you should go over to Apple and research the iPhone more, it seems like you really don't know much about it.

You have to sync it with your computer to put music and videos onto the phone, so, unless you want all your friend's music and videos instead of your own, I'd suggest using your own computer (unless you actually do not own one).

16GB and 32GB can do all of the exact same things.. but again I want to encourage you to just wait for the new one to come out. 1 month is not a long time, and you'll regret your decision if you buy it now.
    05-03-2010 09:54 PM
    What do you think will be better with the 4g? I've read up on it. Mostly external changes is what I'm seeing in different forums and web sites. You're right I don't know much about it but I did play around with one at my local at&t. I like it and think it will meet my needs for a faster web browser and the touchscreen. At&t isn't getting the BB storm 2 as far as I know(bummer)
    05-03-2010 10:04 PM
    What do you think will be better with the 4g? I've read up on it. Mostly external changes is what I'm seeing in different forums and web sites. You're right I don't know much about it but I did play around with one at my local at&t. I like it and think it will meet my needs for a faster web browser and the touchscreen. At&t isn't getting the BB storm 2 as far as I know(bummer)
    The new changes are a front-facing camera, 5mp back camera (presumably), flash, high resolution display allowing for better browsing and much sharper images, significantly faster performance, more storage capacity for the same price. These are the things we're mostly certain about, and trust me it will make a big difference over the course of the next year.
    05-03-2010 10:08 PM
    Ok thanks for the input.
    05-03-2010 10:12 PM
    Ok thanks for the input.
    Again I want to urge you not to get an iPhone if you do not have a computer of your own. Like Jello and I have said you really can not do much of anything on the iPhone without your OWN computer.
    05-03-2010 10:40 PM
    Again I want to urge you not to get an iPhone if you do not have a computer of your own. Like Jello and I have said you really can not do much of anything on the iPhone without your OWN computer.
    You can do it if you have regular access to someone else's computer and you are close enough that they will let you keep an iTunes account on it. You should be able to hook up at least once a month. We share a family computer in our house. Each user has their own iTunes account and that works fine. I sync much more often than my husband, which is why I say you can get by with once a month-he really only syncs when there is a software update-he and his iPhone are fine with that
    Last edited by lonbeehold; 05-04-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    05-04-2010 09:09 AM
    You could also consider getting a netbook which is small, cheap and would allow you to sync everything up and in the future if you needed extra computing power you would have something.
    05-04-2010 11:22 AM
    You could also consider getting a netbook which is small, cheap and would allow you to sync everything up and in the future if you needed extra computing power you would have something.
    I wouldn't advise anyone to get a Netbook unless they love torture.. If someone is going to buy an iPhone anyway I'd advise them to get a desktop PC for the same price as a netbook with about 20x the computing power. :P

I found an awesome PC with a huge monitor on kijiji for $400.
    05-04-2010 11:39 AM
    Will the 4g network be available for AT&T when the new iphone comes out?
    05-04-2010 12:51 PM
    you don't need a computer to activate an iPhone because they activate for you at the apple store or at&t store. even if you can't sync media you can still add all your contacts calendar from the phone, surf the web in the awesome browser, download apps, check email, watch youtube, use pandora or another music streaming service for your music. Even not having a computer is an excuse for not getting an iPhone.
    05-04-2010 02:12 PM
    and no the 4g network is not expected to be rolled out until 2012. We'll have a faster 3g network though. the next iPhone won't be 4g compatible anyways.
    05-04-2010 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD