If I wanted to use an iPhone to check email or go online in another country outside of Canada, would I need to have the phone unlocked? Or does it automatically search for a signal and connect the same way it does here? (I'm guessing it also depends on a country's wifi policies and availability.)
    04-30-2010 03:12 PM
    You'd just need the international plan added to your account I believe. I tend to add the plan for the days that I'd be away...
    04-30-2010 03:27 PM
    Turn your phone on airplane mode when you leave Canada. Leave it that way. When you arrive in your destination country, turn on WiFi. Get your email and surf at WiFi hotspots. Data roaming is usually prohibitively expensive and adds up quickly.
    04-30-2010 06:06 PM
    Yes. It's better to have international plan like AT&T for going to another country or set it to airplane mode then use skype for calls.
    05-06-2010 08:32 PM
    I have traveled from the US to Canada on many occasions, and simply make sure that data roaming is turned off. I do not put the phone in airplane mode, as I want to be able to receive calls while in Canada. I do receive a text message form Rogers as I cross the border informing me of their data fees, but have never been charged when I leave data roaming off.
    I have heard that even if you have international data, you are charged for data when it is billed, not necessarily when it is incurred. If Rogers does not send the data charges to AT&T until after you return home (and international data plan runs out), you will be billed for the charges. You may want to ask about this.
    05-06-2010 09:57 PM
    And US/Canada travel is at the absolute cheapest end of the spectrum. I'm tellin' ya - if you're going to Europe...airplane mode with WiFi on unless you are a millionaire.
    05-07-2010 07:08 AM
    airplane mode with WiFi on unless you are a millionaire.
    This made me lols.

Does this apply when traveling to Mexico? I planned on taking my phone but simply to access the web. I don't plan on making any phone calls. My hotel has wifi, so is there a need to add the international data plan or simply go with Airlplane Mode/Wifi?
    05-07-2010 03:01 PM
    If your hotel has wifi, then you really don't need the international data plan at all...but like everyone's said, make sure that you set the phone to airplane mode.
    05-07-2010 03:43 PM
    I thought so. I never really gave it much thought until I saw this post. But awesome, thanks.
    05-07-2010 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD