Hi i was wondering if 3GS iphones are scratched proof, cause i own a 16gb 3gs iphone and i have a screen protector and i was thinking is it scratch proof? Cause when i bough the iphone at telus the guy who worked there said you do not need a screen protector so i asked why? and he picked up a iphone 3gs display in the store and pulled his keys and scratched on the screen and didn't see a single scratch? but he recomended to get a case, so i did and i bough the case but it came with a screen protector, so i decided why not put it on incase..? So i ask you guys are: iPhone 3GS Scratch proof ? - yes or no?

BTW i know that iPhone 3G is recomended with a screen protector cuase they cause to get scratch proof.
    04-29-2010 10:13 PM
    No, they are not scratch proof.
    04-29-2010 10:15 PM
    really? cause i read through google they say something about that something is "proofable" as in not worst then the 3G
    04-29-2010 10:29 PM
    the front side is somewhat scratch proof but the back is NOT
    04-29-2010 10:52 PM
    Yes the screen is scratch proof. Putting a screen protector on it just alters the feeling of the device and traps dust against the screen. I personally don't use screen protectors. The back, however, is a scratch magnet.
    04-29-2010 11:04 PM
    I wouldn't call the glass "scratch proof", but it's very very scratch resistant. As others have said the back will get scuffed up easily if you set it down on rough surfaces.

And like Jellotime said, screen protectors are pretty much pointless and give you a worse user experience. I don't ever use a case, but if I did I still wouldn't ever use a screen protector.
    04-29-2010 11:32 PM
    I wouldn't call the glass "scratch proof", but it's very very scratch resistant. As others have said the back will get scuffed up easily if you set it down on rough surfaces.

And like Jellotime said, screen protectors are pretty much pointless and give you a worse user experience. I don't ever use a case, but if I did I still wouldn't ever use a screen protector.
    I dono, by my definition it seems scratch proof to me. I've only ever seen cracks (from dropping), NEVER have I seen a scratch on an iPhone screen.
    04-30-2010 12:06 AM
    I dono, by my definition it seems scratch proof to me. I've only ever seen cracks (from dropping), NEVER have I seen a scratch on an iPhone screen.
    I've seen scratches on other peoples iPhones, never mind though
    04-30-2010 12:17 AM
    I have never seen scratches on others iPhone screens either .. I don't use a protector, like the feel of the glass much better.
    04-30-2010 01:46 AM
    I have a small scratch on my iPhone 3GS screen. Trust me, it's not scratch proof.
    04-30-2010 06:14 AM
    I have a small scratch on my iPhone 3GS screen. Trust me, it's not scratch proof.
    Yikes, that would drive me crazy!
    04-30-2010 10:51 AM
    It drives me nuts. It's a very small scratch. I got it during the short period of time I went without a screen protector. iPhone fell out of my pocket while I was kneeling down, so it only fell about 6 inches, but it evidently landed on a piece of gravel from someone's shoe. Just enough. Ugh.
    04-30-2010 11:05 AM
    It drives me nuts. It's a very small scratch. I got it during the short period of time I went without a screen protector. iPhone fell out of my pocket while I was kneeling down, so it only fell about 6 inches, but it evidently landed on a piece of gravel from someone's shoe. Just enough. Ugh.
    Ugh, I bet it all happened in slow motion as well. I know that I have been very lucky with a couple drops, I have tile floors and the iPhone has fallen off the table once and I had one of those moments where my hand just let go. I have a Case Mate Barely There Case on it, so not much protection, both times the phone landed on it's back (phew no scratches or broken screen.)
    04-30-2010 11:11 AM
    My first 3GS got a big scratch, about 1" long down the screen ( I have NO idea how, I treat my electronics like prized possessions) while I had my Incase Slider on it. The phone started acting wonky, I took it to Apple and they swapped it out.

The day they swapped it, I bought a Zagg screen protector and it's been on my device with my Incase Slider since.
    04-30-2010 12:00 PM
    The 3gs is def. not scratch proof. Some effin how I got a 1/2" scratch with a screen protector on it. It's on the top left from the black area into the visible screen. I need to figure out how to make my phone go "whacky" so I can get a replacement. Lul.

I notice the scratch every time.
    05-01-2010 04:10 PM
    My 3G fell out of a slip case I had attached to my hip, hit the pavement on it's corner and then slid about 3ft on it's face. The only damage was a small ding in the casing on the corner. I can't believe the screen didn't scratch. I suppose I got lucky. Since the incident, I trashed the slip case and replaced it silicon-like shell from SwitchEasy.

Even though glass is harder than plastic and is harder to scratch, I now use a screen protector. If you use cheap screen protectors from companies such as Griffin, you're going to notice a big difference in touchscreen performance. Cheap screen protectors also trap dirt between the protector and the screen. Spend the extra $$ and get a premium screen protector. You won't even know it's there and it will provide superior protection.
    05-01-2010 04:27 PM
    my ipod 3g i have no problems with scratches :| the backlight makes all the scratches disapear when on. I cracked my ipod screen a bit and you cant evan see that :P.
    05-02-2010 03:31 PM
    The 3gs is def. not scratch proof. Some effin how I got a 1/2" scratch with a screen protector on it. It's on the top left from the black area into the visible screen. I need to figure out how to make my phone go "whacky" so I can get a replacement. Lul.

I notice the scratch every time.
    I've cited non-reproducible issues several times for replacements, like home button sometimes not working, touch screen occasionally not responding in certain areas. In my case it was true but they couldn't reproduce the symptoms and they still gave me a replacement device.
    05-02-2010 03:45 PM
    Jellotime... I will be on the lookout for my home button acting funny
    05-02-2010 04:13 PM
    Jellotime... I will be on the lookout for my home button acting funny
    Haha.. it's actually not an uncommon scenario because it's the only button we have to press, so we press it all the time. :P
    05-02-2010 06:05 PM
    Scratch resistant
    05-03-2010 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD