Push Notifications

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain Push Notifications to me? I thought its purpose was to give you alerts when you get some type of updates, but I find that this doesn't work all the time so I'm assuming this is not it.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
the purpose of Push Notifications is to notify you of events when an application is not open.

Some applications have trouble making it work properly because they have to manage their own servers for notifications, Apple doesn't host it.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Never figured out why the App Store does not use push notification, the only answer I could think of is 80 million devices would be a huge server load for Apple

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think app updates do push to your phone, but it's only a badge notification, not a sound or popup.

It's not live. It's a routine check much like mail would do. I think it checks once a day though, because I often open up the App Store to find that the badge that said "1" was incorrect, and there are actually 3 or 4 updates. It's been this way since the 3G though I think. Whatever they're doing it's been the same since before push notifications existed.

theipadvaso

Not really, Push Notifications refers to much more than just email, and in the case of the iPhone, email is probably the least common use of Push notifications, because most users don't know how to setup their gmail addresses for push.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner