To buy or not to buy?

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys.

Some of you probably already know me for some case-related questions. I've been saving for the iPhone for around 8 months now, and was intending to buy it as soon as it came out (I have no iPhone right now, and feel the smart move is to wait for iPhone HD/2010/4G/Whatever.

Right now, though, I started having serious doubts. In particular, regarding the money. I WILL have the money I need by the time it comes out. Question is: is it worth it?

On a topic on another forum, the question the TC posted was "What do you do with your iPhone?". The majority of replies consisted of "Calls, SMS, Internet, Mail, Calendar, and Games". While a Smartphone could be handy in a course like mine (Medicine), for the easiness of access to information it'd provide me with, I started having doubts about giving 600? away to have something that "Calls, SMSs, goes to Internet and Mail, Calendar, and has Games". I mean, seriously, for 50? a regular phone does all of that aside from Mail, Internet, and actually good games.

Considering the fact that I value not the "fashion" factor of the iPhone, and that I'm trying to make Games be the least of my priorities on a phone - despite how much I love them -, do you think the iPhone is still a good choice of a phone? And also, I take the chance to ask what the TC in the other forum asked: What do YOU do with your iPhone?

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I use it for all those things (phone, SMS, Internet, mail, calendar, games) but one of the things I probably use it most for is as an iPod. I love not having to carry around multiple devices.

I find I use the same few apps over and over and only explore the app store when I have a need that one of my current apps isn't meeting.

I can't answer if an iPhone is 'worth it' for you but I know that despite the 'few' actual things I do with it I consider it 'worth it' for me. I love having my calendars and emails available with out having to check a computer and I have a fairly long commute everyday to and from work on public transit and being able to kill time with my iPhone is huge.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Is a new Iphone upgrade coming out? ANy news? thanks

No. They are never releasing another iPhone.

/sarcasm

Yes, there is a new iPhone coming out, we've all seen it (can't believe you haven't), and it's coming out in June/July as usual. :)

To The OP: IMO, the new iPhone will be more of an all-in-one device than ever before, with a higher resolution camera with flash and a larger lens, and a higher resolution screen, along with iChat... It's going to be the best iPhone yet. :)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
If you don't need the apps, additional cost for the data plan, then I wouldn't do it. If a regular cell phone will take care of everything you need then I would just pick up one of those.

FlukeDude

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's weird with iPhones. People pay huge sums for an iPhone even if they're on a low income, and complain they can't buy any apps. I guess it's up to you, I would recommend the App Store the most but you can get that on an iPod Touch.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I would wait til June because even if you decide not to get the latest and greatest iteration of the iPhone, you will pay less for the current model. Also, I'm not in a health profession but my mom and aunt are so I have an interest in it, and epocrates for the iPhone is a phenomenal app, for one. There are other medical apps out there also. They can be pricey, but they look very handy for someone who would use them on a daily basis.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Worth is such a subjective thing in this context. I use my iPhone for calls, SMS, MSM, Internet, email, iPod, Internet radio, news and magazine reading, as a Kindle, for listening to audiobooks and podcasts, for keeping up with blogs, planning dinner, reading the latest medical journal articles, weather updates from several cities and many other things. The one thing I have never done with my iPod (save a game of Hangman here and there with my kids) is play games. I have some games on the phone for the kids, but that is a feature I don't use and don't care about it. You mentioned that medicine is your course of study. There are many medical apps for the iPhone that you couldn't find for a regular phone. I love that the iPhone does so many things, and that it's small enough to go with me wherever I go. For me, that makes it worth every dime.

romman#IM

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The New Wonders of the World!

Form plus function is Architecture 101 But a building that not only is a bright spark on the landscape but also has a surface as idiosyncratic as its structure, well, that's Architecture 2010 The year that film embraced a third dimension, architecture found a fourth: texture

chinaguangzhoutvtower_001p jpg

concierge com/ideas/designarchitecture/tours/501463

Isn't it interesting?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner