Well, I dont have to squint anymore to watch movies on my iPhone. Thats the good news. The bad news, how the %*$& do I get my apps to show up on my projector! I recently bought an M1 micro projector from Aaxa tech and I need some help. My one issue is that I thought that I would be able to use all my apps with it as well. I called Aaxa and they said its the same no matter what you plug the iPhone into because most apps dont support video out.

I got it because I think the really small pico projectors just arent ready yet. Most of them are only 10-15 lumens, which would produce a screen size barely bigger than my iPhone and thats pointless, Lol. The M1 is 66 lumes (rest of the specs: Aaxa M1). Still not nearly as bright as the giant projectors with thousands of lumens, but I wasnt about to carry one of those around in my bag and replace bulbs every few months. Plus I don't have to use it with the lights on, like in a classroom or something. Watching movies has been sweet. The screen gets laughably huge and looks great as long as the room is somewhat dark (pics below)

My question is if iPhone 4 will add video out capability to more apps or is there some way I can rig it myself? Anyways, I do recommend the M1 for people who want to watch videos and youtube for sure, just dont expect to be playing any games or reading the news with it unless you know some trick that I don't for getting video out to work.
    04-27-2010 02:07 PM
    What apps would you even wanna enlarge ?? This doesnt make much sense my friend
    04-27-2010 02:59 PM
    Are you kidding me?! I want to play Madden, Call of duty, Street Fighter and about 100 other games! The iPhone is an awesome gaming machine my friend, it's just a little painful on the eyes at times.
    04-27-2010 05:28 PM
    It's works perfect just play with the settings can use all apps
    04-27-2010 05:40 PM
    Trust me if I knew how I would have already done it, Lol. Nextjeter can you help me out and be more specific? I really hope you are right! :P
    04-27-2010 05:42 PM
    You wanted a larger screen? Why not just get an iPad? I thought that was the whole point of the iPad.
    04-28-2010 01:05 AM
    You wanted a larger screen? Why not just get an iPad? I thought that was the whole point of the iPad.
    Not particularly helpful in this thread.. he wants to do something new with a product he already owns, not buy another $500 product. He's not complaining that the iPhone should have a larger screen, he's trying to avoid squinting at it and holding it up to his face. (with good reason, I totally snarfed up my vision by holding my iPhone in front of my face watching movies in bed. And I ended up paying $300 for my first ever pair or prescription glasses after using the iPhone for less than a year)
    04-28-2010 01:47 AM
    JB iPhones have the TV Out Apps you can buy to allow for Apps to have video out. I played games with it but it got a little weird looking at the TV and trying to figure out where the controls were on the screen in my hand haha.
    04-28-2010 01:50 AM
    JB iPhones have the TV Out Apps you can buy to allow for Apps to have video out. I played games with it but it got a little weird looking at the TV and trying to figure out where the controls were on the screen in my hand haha.
    This is the only way to do what you are trying to do. You must have a TV out to make ANY cellphone "project" through a TV/Projector.
    04-28-2010 08:01 AM
    lol isn't it a shame the iPhone prototype has a slightly smaller screen, sounds like a huge selling point huh?
    04-28-2010 12:09 PM
    Humph. If it's an app is there some way a developer can make it for the non-JB iPhone? (wish I was a developer). It is possible to project with a non-JB version? I know because there is at least one app that does it called PicoZoo.

And ya, buying an iPad wasn't really an option for me. I already have an iPhone and MacBook Pro. iPad is just not another gizmo I need/want. Plus the projector gives me an enormous screen and the iPad is only slighly bigger.

Anyone know why there hasn't been a video out app made for non-JB yet? Is it just another Apple no-no for some reason? I am a newb that is incapable of JB'ing. I tried to look it up for the new iPhone OS update and it is beyond my skill level (I get stumped).
    05-03-2010 04:21 PM
    I too was hoping universal video out would be something Apple addressed with the new OS/hardware as I'm sure there is nothing stopping them if they wanted to do it. It's something they must address sooner rather than later. I can totally see smartphones becoming the primary computing device for many people within the next ~5 years with the support of accessory manufacturers that come out with the input, connectivity, and yes, display devices to really revolutionize portable computing.
    07-02-2010 05:40 PM
    Is there any way to output video to a computer monitor? That would be extremely handy for me.
    07-02-2010 10:30 PM
    How do they output the game demos and everything at the WWDC and the iOS 4 announcement?
    07-03-2010 05:28 AM
    My understanding is that these projectors and any other display (LCD, etc) are limited to displaying what Apple allows to be outputted through the connector... which is basically limited to a few apps including the standard video/photo apps, YouTube, and a few others. There are ways to get full "screen mirroring" but they require JB. Check out Cydia and TVOut or ScreenSpltr.

For Apple's own presentations I'd imagine they have a special build that allows full mirroring. The hardware has no problem handling this... which makes it more annoying they don't just offer this function to begin with.
    07-05-2010 04:41 PM
    sorry to bump an old thread, but i was wondering the same thing with video out. I had VLC media player before, but it wasn't capable of video out.
    03-09-2011 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD