Opinions On Gizmodo/Apple "Scandal"

Is Apple Getting Negative Attention For This?

• Yes they look are starting to look bad.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • No they are the victims they should pursue Gizmodo.

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters

ryanwmurray

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was already determined that the battery is not user removable. I'm also 99% positive that the seams will be closed up for the actual release. The Gizmodo phone was a prototype that belonged to a engineer so it makes perfect sense that his would be designed to give easy access to the inside.

It's frustrating to take every piece of information that slips through the cracks with a grain of salt. Something that is almost certain and logical one minute can be dispelled in a flash the next.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Without saying Gizmodo or the guy in the bar were wrong or innocent, I believe the whole thing does cast a somewhat negative light on Apple if only because it draws attention to how controlling and heavy handed they are in all aspects of the business (not just product releases). Not saying it's right to associate this incident with all other aspects of their business; just that it does happen. If I was Apple, I'd be pretty pissed, too (and probably justifiably so), but it does bring more focus on Apple, and then their App Store policing, and then the whole Flash thing (which I do agree with Mr. Jobs about, coincidentally), and so on and so forth. Not saying it was right/wrong/whatever. Just saying it happens.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the battery thing I never knew it was discovered that it wasn't going to remain removable. I thought at first hearing it why would Apple make such a change backwards sort of? Anyway glad that is cleared up now :D Does anyone think that the police kicking the guy's door off to seize the computers was a little excessive? They had a warrant and he wasn't home ok but it's not a drugbust I'm pretty sure they could have gotten the guy at work and he would have let them in without kicking off the door. I just think it was a little too far, you have kate moss sniffing crack in pictures and she doesn't do any jailtime but the guy just has correspondence about a phone, granted a stolen prototype, but you can see the difference in treatment here.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the battery thing I never knew it was discovered that it wasn't going to remain removable. I thought at first hearing it why would Apple make such a change backwards sort of? Anyway glad that is cleared up now :D Does anyone think that the police kicking the guy's door off to seize the computers was a little excessive? They had a warrant and he wasn't home ok but it's not a drugbust I'm pretty sure they could have gotten the guy at work and he would have let them in without kicking off the door. I just think it was a little too far, you have kate moss sniffing crack in pictures and she doesn't do any jailtime but the guy just has correspondence about a phone, granted a stolen prototype, but you can see the difference in treatment here.

You know I still don't see why it wouldn't be removable.. Look at how clean they made the insides of the device.. Why would they go to all that trouble for nothing?

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
If my drunk ass forgets the car outside the bar with keys in it, then my dumbass will have to pay the price for stupidity, regardless of the thiefs obvious crime and motives. ;)

Yes!! Agree. If you're gonna blame anyone here, blame the dumbass who left the prototype phone in the bar in the first place.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You know I still don't see why it wouldn't be removable.. Look at how clean they made the insides of the device.. Why would they go to all that trouble for nothing?

b/c it's an engineers device, made specifically so it's easier to swap out the guts. There are often MANY differences between test devices and the ones that finally come off the manufacturing line.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes!! Agree. If you're gonna blame anyone here, blame the dumbass who left the prototype phone in the bar in the first place.

So blame a person for making an honest mistake, but don't blame the person who sold something that he knew did not belong to him? And don't blame Giz for buying it and not trying to get it back to the owner even though they knew who it was. Wow that is one of the dumbest things that I have ever heard.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
If I was careless enough to leave something as important as that prototype in a bar, I would only blame myself. Yes, it would be nice if everyone did the right thing and return it to the rightful owners etc, but you have to be naive if you think everyone would do the right thing. You get careless, you pay the price.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
b/c it's an engineers device, made specifically so it's easier to swap out the guts. There are often MANY differences between test devices and the ones that finally come off the manufacturing line.

Right but people actually obtained a 3GS prototype before launch as well, and it had no battery removing mechanism at all.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think this is called "blame the victim." Very popular idea these days.

If I kill someone by a preventable accident, does that make me a victim? No.

Gray Powell got drunk with a very important thing that he was supposed to take good care of, and he lost it. It was his fault, and completely preventable.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If I kill someone by a preventable accident, does that make me a victim? No.

Gray Powell got drunk with a very important thing that he was supposed to take good care of, and he lost it. It was his fault, and completely preventable.

The man's property was mis-appropriated. That he was careless did not give anyone else the right to take it and sell it. Being careless is not a crime. Selling something which you do not own is.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The man's property was mis-appropriated. That he was careless did not give anyone else the right to take it and sell it. Being careless is not a crime. Selling something which you do not own is.

Right, but this whole thing started because of his carelessness, therefore, he is ultimately to blame.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I love how you have determined that Powell was drunk. Did you perform the breath analysis yourself? Maybe do an actual blood test? Do tell! You're what, 18? So you know all about how much every individual can drink and what it takes for someone to get drunk. But you get the Olympic Gold in the Conclusion jumping event!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I love how you have determined that Powell was drunk. Did you perform the breath analysis yourself? Maybe do an actual blood test? Do tell! You're what, 18? So you know all about how much every individual can drink and what it takes for someone to get drunk. But you get the Olympic Gold in the Conclusion jumping event!

Regardless of whether he was drunk or not, he made the mistake. By saying he was drunk I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, because if he wasn't drunk he was just really freaking stupid. Have to say, I've never left my iPhone anywhere, and it's not a secret iPhone prototype that I've been trusted with. :/

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Again, if you get careless, you pay the price. Let's say I mistakenly left my iPhone in the backseat of a cab... It would be really nice if the cabbie or the next passenger calls me to graciously return it, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if my misplaced phone gets sold off illegally. Is it right? No. Do I blame the person who sold my phone without my permission? No. I can only blame myself for being careless enough to lose it in the first place. You can't expect people to do the right thing. You have to be prepared to pay for your mistakes. It'll make you more careful the next time. A good lesson in fact. :)

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Again, if you get careless, you pay the price. Let's say I mistakenly left my iPhone in the backseat of a cab... It would be really nice if the cabbie or the next passenger calls me to graciously return it, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if my misplaced phone gets sold off illegally. Is it right? No. Do I blame the person who sold my phone without my permission? No. I can only blame myself for being careless enough to lose it in the first place. You can't expect people to do the right thing. You have to be prepared to pay for your mistakes. It'll make you more careful the next time. A good lesson in fact. :)

Thank you for injecting some common sense into this debate. It's much appreciated! :)

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Previous response was was based on a misinterpreted post.

I was objecting to calling Powell a "victim" in the sense that something had happened to him over which he had no control. He made a mistake, but it was his fault (leaving the iPhone there). In that sense he is not a "victim" - but that doesn't justify the actions of Hogan either.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner