A defendant was charged in Chicago with robbery after the victim's iPhone was located via the MobileMe tone in the juvenile residence facility where the iPhone was located. Apparently, the culprit couldn't figure out how to stop the ping. Sadly, this didn't make the local news-likely because of the extremely violent spring we have had here in the city. but I knew you guys would appreciate hearing this
    04-25-2010 09:20 PM
    A defendant was charged in Chicago with robbery after the victim's iPhone was located via the MobileMe tone in the juvenile residence facility where the iPhone was located. Apparently, the culprit couldn't figure out how to stop the ping. Sadly, this didn't make the local news-likely because of the extremely violent spring we have had here in the city. but I knew you guys would appreciate hearing this
    Do you have any source on this at all?
    04-25-2010 10:01 PM
    link or it didn't happen
    04-25-2010 10:15 PM
    link or it didn't happen
    It happened. I wouldn't risk my credibility here by posting something false. I was in court when the initial hearing was presented. In a city where 41 people were shot in the same weekend, it didn't make the news. Subsequent to that, just this past weekend, a 20 month old baby was shot and killed and two young women were brutally robbed and beaten. A lost and found iPhone is just not newsworthy. i posted because I thought many here would find it interesting.
    04-25-2010 11:45 PM
    It happened. I wouldn't risk my credibility here by posting something false. I was in court when the initial hearing was presented. In a city where 41 people were shot in the same weekend, it didn't make the news. Subsequent to that, just this past weekend, a 20 month old baby was shot and killed and two young women were brutally robbed and beaten. A lost and found iPhone is just not newsworthy. i posted because I thought many here would find it interesting.
    Damn, where do you live, hell?!

Edit: Chicago.. So.. close enough? @_@
    04-25-2010 11:49 PM
    That's put me off ever moving to the States!
    04-26-2010 12:17 AM
    Damn, where do you live, hell?!

Edit: Chicago.. So.. close enough? @_@
    Yeah, Chicago...a fabulous, amazing, but also sometimes a crazy violent city. The news tonight was full of stories about bringing in the National Guard to help with this recent spate of violence. So you can see why a found iPhone story didn't hit the papers.
    04-26-2010 12:25 AM
    Same... And people think Toronto is dangerous!
    04-26-2010 12:40 AM
    Glad the iPhone thief was brought to justice, be safe over there in Chi Town .. Wow!, didn't realize that things have gotten so bad there.
    04-26-2010 09:52 AM
    why? because all we see/read are the negative things in the media?

violence happens all over the world whether we like it or not

wow, some people just live in a bubble all their lives i guess
    04-26-2010 10:43 AM
    Yep, that's it. Every place in the states is as violent as Chicago.

/sarcasm
    04-26-2010 02:56 PM
    Yep, that's it. Every place in the states is as violent as Chicago.

/sarcasm
    Obviously this person values living in a big city. In Canada, our biggest city is Toronto. We are often referred to as "Canada's New York", however, we are not anywhere near as violent as New York. When you compare the environments, the "big city" environments in the USA are many times more violent and crime-ridden than they are in Canada.

Nobody is saying that the entirety of the US is a violent hell-hole, but the big cities are exponentially more violent than big cities in many other countries.
    04-26-2010 03:21 PM
    New York isn't that violent. Maybe around Yankee Stadium, but I think New York gets a bad rap. I spent a week there during Fleet Week and couldn't have had a better time.
    04-26-2010 04:44 PM
    I live in Chicago and it is a wonderful place to be. It has a lot offer. Although there are some shady areas (like any city) and sometimes the violence occurs because someone are in the wrong place at the wrong time, that doesn't mean it is fair to classify it as overly violent. I don't know about bringing in the National Guard to help...

That being said *knock on wood*
    04-26-2010 04:46 PM
    New York isn't that violent. Maybe around Yankee Stadium, but I think New York gets a bad rap. I spent a week there during Fleet Week and couldn't have had a better time.
    Well, to put it in perspective, there were about 838 murders in New York in 2008. 510 in Chicago.
    In Toronto, there were only 70 for that same year. New York has more than 10x as many murders as Toronto, and that's not a rare comparison.

Toronto has violent areas too as does any city, but the total numbers are undeniably different.
    04-26-2010 05:36 PM
    Jeez! I was really rooting for the Bulls before this but now I am even more just so the people in Chicago have something to smile about! PS: I bet this is yet another happy Apple customer.. I love technology.
    04-27-2010 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD