This is not a "how do I unlock" thread.

I want to know if there is a legal way of checking a serial number of an iPhone 3gs to see which carrier it's locked too?

I know they can do it at the apple store but the closest one to where I live is about a 1hr drive - plus I'm buying one off eBay and don't want to buy it then it turn out to be a carrier I can't use legally (ie. Be forced to used unlocking tools to make it work)
    04-24-2010 09:55 PM
    Just ask the seller what carrier (if any) the phone is locked to.
    04-24-2010 10:51 PM
    The issue is, is the seller claims its factory unlocked, yet 2 people I've asked at the Apple store said none of the iphones sold in Canada or the US are factory unlocked. Apple store guy said it may be open to multiple carriers, such as TM and ATT, but no iPhone sold in North America will work on EVERY carrier freely.
    04-25-2010 03:05 AM
    True because the iPhone is a GSM phone and can only work on a GSM carrier. It wouldn't work on sprint, verizon, or any other CDMA carrier because it's different technology.
    04-25-2010 06:14 AM
    I'd be very wary of this auction.

I have searched for quite a bit on your original question and I'm not able to come up with a solid answer for you. It is now a question I'd like to know the answer to as well.
    04-25-2010 06:40 PM
    I know the software exists, because i had an old 3G a few months back, and when I went to the apple store with an issue of SIM cards not being recognized, they went to the back, came out 3 minutes later and said "This is a Rogers locked phone, and you have Fido.. that's why it's not working".. yet it was working fine for months without an unlock/JB on the device..

I just don't want to fall into a lovely $500 bill and have a phone I can't use.
    04-25-2010 06:56 PM
    That explains a lot. Most of the answers I found were, "Take it to an Apple store and they will be able to tell you." But since you don't even have possession of the phone, you obviously can't do that. Hopefully somebody will have an answer for you.
    04-25-2010 07:10 PM
    Call apple store and ask them, that's what I would do.
    04-26-2010 09:57 AM
    A serial number doesn't say anything about a carrier as far as I know. They don't have an ATT line, a Rogers line or Vodaphone line at the Apple factories in China. They just crank them out. There are several iPhones overseas that are factory unlocked. I'd be wary of this deal.
    04-26-2010 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD