Gray Powel should annouce the iPhone 4.0 this summer

Enders

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go on the other end of the spectrum here and say while it would be funny, this guy should sooooo be fired. He gets drunk and loses a highly secret piece of property and everyone seems to think he should get a pass. Consider all the long term planning Apple invests towards each product announcement that his act of negligence has just mucked up. Between the added planning, legal time and other commotion over this, what do you think he has cost the company and its stockholders? Would you trust this guy with your documents or private material? Unless he is some kind of savant, I would boot him in a heartbeat.

I understand your point and in the cold reality of business it makes perfect sense. However, luckily for him any substantial loss of money and time for Apple at this time over this incident would be just Greed. I'm not an economist nor do I have extensive knowledge of the stock market but I know enough to be certain that Apple is doing extremely well, this isn't Palm we're talking about. Apple isn't losing money over this, the press will be there just as strong for the official unveil.

His slip up ended up generating even more buzz and free publicity for Apple. This "my bad" hurt not one, save maybe Steve Jobs pride. He didn't affect any other employee's work, he wasn't the cause of anyone's misfortune or suffering; and he certainly didn't kill or hurt anyone. The shame and embarrassment over this punishment enough, the scope of it will last his life.

I agree that disciplinary action will be required on some form at Apple's discretion but seeking punishment for the sake of some sense vengeance is wrong and pointless. Apple has nothing to gain from firing this guy and we can all be reasonably sure he'll never lose another phone again or other hardware.

Apple doesn't want a bad image, despite it's critics it wants people to like it. People are already watching how this is going to end with a lot of scrutiny and they don't want the poor fella to get the boot. His mistake was human, something everyone can associate with. Apple will just generate discontent by kicking him out, but would gain approval by keeping him on and making the most of it with their star power.

Cheers

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as the stock keeps hitting new all time highs even though the US (and world) economy still sucks, I don't think it's an issue.

Dude, we haven't seen the full effect of this yet.
This is going to drastically effect 3GS sales for the majority of this quarter! What's going to happen when an all-time low in iPhone sales figures is reported? That's when the shares are going to drop.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Dude, we haven't seen the full effect of this yet.
This is going to drastically effect 3GS sales for the majority of this quarter! What's going to happen when an all-time low in iPhone sales figures is reported? That's when the shares are going to drop.

Not I agree with Jello, Jello is on spot with this. Apple COULD now have 2 months of considerably declined iPhone sales b/c people know about a new one around the corner, just "weeks" ( end of 3rd or start of the 4th QTR ) away.

Now, the question comes, how many people know about it and how much it will truly impact sales. My girlfriend hadn't heard word 1 about this till I pointed it out to her, and she's looking at getting an iPhone. I'm not sure HOW big the impact will be, but we won't know until the Q3 sales call.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Not I agree with Jello, Jello is on spot with this. Apple COULD now have 2 months of considerably declined iPhone sales b/c people know about a new one around the corner, just "weeks" ( end of 3rd or start of the 4th QTR ) away.

Now, the question comes, how many people know about it and how much it will truly impact sales. My girlfriend hadn't heard word 1 about this till I pointed it out to her, and she's looking at getting an iPhone. I'm not sure HOW big the impact will be, but we won't know until the Q3 sales call.

In my experience, quite a few people have heard about it. They don't need to know all the details, but they generally understand that it's an improvement and it's coming soon, so they will wait for it. Not sure exactly what percentage of average consumers really know about it, but it was reported on just about every major news station.

If Apple is able to retain a strong 3rd quarter in 3GS sales regardless of this, Jobs is going to be all smiles come June 22nd.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I have to disagree. Anyone that is going to really follow this story about the iPhone 4 is going to be nerdy enough to know that a new iPhone is going to come out in June / July. I mean even without this whole leak...my mom knows a new iPhone is coming this summer! It's not rocket science.

Also, I predict a new iPod touch coming in September...I should go play the lotto now :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have to disagree. Anyone that is going to really follow this story about the iPhone 4 is going to be nerdy enough to know that a new iPhone is going to come out in June / July. I mean even without this whole leak...my mom knows a new iPhone is coming this summer! It's not rocket science.

Also, I predict a new iPod touch coming in September...I should go play the lotto now :)

What you and I know (and your apparently smart and awesome mom knows) is NOT the same as what the average consumer knows.

Go ask a random person on the street when new iPods come out. They have no idea and it's been happening at the same time every year for sooo many years now. People know even less about the iPhone. Trust me, people DON'T remember when new iPhones come out. I have to remind people ALL THE TIME (because they all ask me if/when they should buy an iPhone).

Hellpop

May 6, 2009
Visit site
@Ender, going to side with Jello on this as well. This is for sure costing the company money now in terms of man hours and damage control as well as very possibly affecting sales figures for the next few months. Even those who knew an iPhone was coming didn't know just what it was and may have saddled up for a 3GS upgrade if not for the new camera, HD, etc. This story has gone far beyond the blogosphere, it made Letterman's Top 10 this week!
And their current stock price is irrelevant as far as this incident goes. An employee cost the company money and embarrassment through neglect. Period.
All this "it's just a mistake, we all could have done it" is beyond sympathy in my opinion. Forgetting to put a stamp on an envelope is a mistake, not forwarding an email to the right person is a mistake, breaking a company's legendary secrecy policy through sheer neglect is a f**k up of major proportions. Of late, I have not seen any better grounds for termination outside of the Catholic church. I don't see this as harsh or vengeance at all, I see it as common sense.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Ender, going to side with Jello on this as well. This is for sure costing the company money now in terms of man hours and damage control as well as very possibly affecting sales figures for the next few months. Even those who knew an iPhone was coming didn't know just what it was and may have saddled up for a 3GS upgrade if not for the new camera, HD, etc. This story has gone far beyond the blogosphere, it made Letterman's Top 10 this week!
And their current stock price is irrelevant as far as this incident goes. An employee cost the company money and embarrassment through neglect. Period.
All this "it's just a mistake, we all could have done it" is beyond sympathy in my opinion. Forgetting to put a stamp on an envelope is a mistake, not forwarding an email to the right person is a mistake, breaking a company's legendary secrecy policy through sheer neglect is a f**k up of major proportions. Of late, I have not seen any better grounds for termination outside of the Catholic church. I don't see this as harsh or vengeance at all, I see it as common sense.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure if he molested children Apple would fire him...

Does this mean Apple is more holy than the Vatican? You decide... haha

Enders

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site

Hrm. Yeah I see your point. But then what does Apple have to gain by booting Gray Powell? Make an example of him? Even then it's not like they can gain anything. Childish and naive point of view here I know, but humor me. What do they gain by sacking him publicly?, because it will be very public when they fire him.

Hellpop

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ender, you are right and that's what gets to me. My thoughts are more of a backlash to the overwhelming willingness within the internet community to support his "mistake" and forgive it. Despite the logic, Apple is now in a PR nightmare. They don't gain anything and will certainly lose public support by canning the guy. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that I didn't follow the story and relish in the pics and info of the next iPhone - I followed it everyday with gusto.
But at the same time, I don't work at Apple and I don't (sadly) own their stock. Basically, whatever position or responsibilities he held within the company have to be far and gone. Do they stick him in the mail room or what? While I can say that I would fire the guy, I can't say that it would be Apple's best choice at this point whether it is right or wrong.
I also think there is another issue Apple should address: While everyone understands the need for Apple to test their projects in the wild, perhaps their choice of who to give this responsibility to needs to be addressed. In other words, maybe this guy should not have had the phone in the first place if they want to keep their devices so secret. Not an absolution, but perhaps they should not be giving these things to anyone but high level security folks that may not leave them on a barstool.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
They guy had a birthday, went out and had a couple too many, I think it was a simple mistake that will cost apple some cash, however it was a mistake none the less. I doubt that Mr. Powell has lost his job.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
What you and I know (and your apparently smart and awesome mom knows) is NOT the same as what the average consumer knows.
This is true, but I guess my point is anyone that is reading about this stuff on gizmodo is already a nerd that knows when the iPhone comes out every year.

The people that don't probably haven't even heard of this leak.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
This is true, but I guess my point is anyone that is reading about this stuff on gizmodo is already a nerd that knows when the iPhone comes out every year.

Right, and that point is well taken, but as I stated, it was reported on every major national news network as a top story. That makes a huge difference to public knowledge.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site

Excellent point. As much as I follow local, national, and world news (thank you iPhone, lol) I only heard about this via tech sites and one friend who is as iPhone crazy as I am.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to go on the other end of the spectrum here and say while it would be funny, this guy should sooooo be fired. He gets drunk and loses a highly secret piece of property and everyone seems to think he should get a pass. Consider all the long term planning Apple invests towards each product announcement that his act of negligence has just mucked up. Between the added planning, legal time and other commotion over this, what do you think he has cost the company and its stockholders? Would you trust this guy with your documents or private material? Unless he is some kind of savant, I would boot him in a heartbeat.

When I first heard about this new iPhone that made it out there via a drunken mistake, I thought, no way! Apple lets JUST ANYONE out into the wild with top secret stuff???! This cannot be real. Now that appears that it is, I wonder what level employee he is. Can't be a brand new hire, right? on another note, doesn't his name just sound made for TV movie-ish, lol.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Isn't that crazy? As mom to a child who lost most of her pinky finger in a freak toddler accident, I know life will go on for this poor guy, but what an awful story. Waiting for the lawsuit....

Just who would the poor guy sue? It's not the fault of Apple that he got robbed. And many other retailers use bags just like the ones that are used at the Apple store.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Just who would the poor guy sue? It's not the fault of Apple that he got robbed. And many other retailers use bags just like the ones that are used at the Apple store.

People see deep pockets and file baseless lawsuits all of the time. Not saying he'd prevail-just wouldn't be surprised if he decided to sue someone, be it Apple, the bag manufacturer, store/mall security, et al.