• It's Not So Hot

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it's just a tester. Giz's article stated that this could just be a camouflage so they could field test easier. Like others have posted before me, I believe that this was produced for the soul purpose of testing the new hardware, and not necesarily the final hardware. It seems like a huge step backwards for apple. Even the first iPhone looks better then this iPhone. I just don't see Apple releasing the "sexy" iPad, and then this iPhone. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm right. Either way though, this design, or hopefully another, I will buy it.

btw: Hi everyone! I'm new :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, welcome to to tipb.

But no, it's not a tester. Apple finishes the design by January, not to mention this is the very same phone seen in the ipad spyshots. It's definitely the final design. And if you look at the ipad, the iMac, and even the macbooks, this design makes the iPhone more cohesive with the whole product line. The only reason it looks slightly different is because they can't use aluminum on the back, so they made a glass back that is transparent to radio signals. It's flat so it can more easily lay on a table while you type or what have you. I think the design is beautiful. Don't forget there will also likely be a white version :)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think it's just a tester. Giz's article stated that this could just be a camouflage so they could field test easier. Like others have posted before me, I believe that this was produced for the soul purpose of testing the new hardware, and not necesarily the final hardware. It seems like a huge step backwards for apple. Even the first iPhone looks better then this iPhone. I just don't see Apple releasing the "sexy" iPad, and then this iPhone. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm right. Either way though, this design, or hopefully another, I will buy it.

btw: Hi everyone! I'm new :D
Gizmodo did pose the "tester" hypothesis but then dismissed it as unlikely. Their evidence included both fit and the fact that it had been hidden inside a case that made it look like a 3GS.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Gizmodo did pose the "tester" hypothesis but then dismissed it as unlikely. Their evidence included both fit and the fact that it had been hidden inside a case that made it look like a 3GS.

Indeed! Why camouflage something if it's already camouflaged? ha

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I like the new design. I'm very interested to see what the back is actually made of, if it's plastic or this supposed ceramic/glass thing I've been hearing about. Really like that they found the there is a bigger battery. Don't really care about the front facing camera, I guess it's a good way to get ahead if everyone else starts putting them on this year.

My 3G is feeling very old now. I am ready to upgrade, really excited for that new high resolution screen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I like the new design. I'm very interested to see what the back is actually made of, if it's plastic or this supposed ceramic/glass thing I've been hearing about. Really like that they found the there is a bigger battery. Don't really care about the front facing camera, I guess it's a good way to get ahead if everyone else starts putting them on this year.

My 3G is feeling very old now. I am ready to upgrade, really excited for that new high resolution screen.

The back definitely isn't plastic, or if it is, it's an incredibly strong plastic. The 3GS's back gets scratched just by existing. There's no way the back would remain as flawless as it appears in the Giz shots without being made of glass. I'm really happy about that, because the plastic back irritates me so much.

Bigger battery is really welcome, unneeded for me but more battery is never a bad thing. The front camera will open up a world of possibilities for applications. Vlogging, head-tracking, using your face on a character in a game.. Fun stuff~ Video iChat is also interesting.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't like it all.

Smaller screen would a big step back in my opinion.

Let alone, a curved back makes the phone easier to hold.. where something flat feels too thin for me.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't like it all.

Smaller screen would a big step back in my opinion.

Let alone, a curved back makes the phone easier to hold.. where something flat feels too thin for me.

You won't be able to notice the smaller screen at all.
And actually it makes a little more sense for it to be slightly smaller. Along with the decreased width of the device, the screen still feels just as large, but one-handed use is much easier with a slightly smaller screen.

Too thin does feel awkward yea, but a flat back does have other benefits, like if you had to lay the phone down, touching it would be a lot less cumbersome and require only one hand.

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
The design is ok, I was hoping for a bigger screen, but then someone explained to me that a bigger screen would mean that app developers will have to change apps. The one thing that I don't like is that I love cases so I may have to purchase MORE cases because the design might call for a different size case - and cases aren't cheap.

I'm such a big fan of Apple that the design wouldn't really matter.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The design is ok, I was hoping for a bigger screen, but then someone explained to me that a bigger screen would mean that app developers will have to change apps. The one thing that I don't like is that I love cases so I may have to purchase MORE cases because the design might call for a different size case - and cases aren't cheap.

I'm such a big fan of Apple that the design wouldn't really matter.

If your case is really tight around the phone it might still fit the new one. I had a 2G case that fit my 3G pretty well.

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
@ Jellotime that's what I'm hoping for. I am a case fanatic, I've had my 3G iphone for maybe two months now and I've purchased 7 cases. Of course, when the new one comes out I'll just have to buy a new case. June just can't get here any quicker, I already have at least $300 set aside.

alexhasfun28

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, this isn't the final design. There is no way Apple will do a removeable battery. Especially if there is a 90% chance that Apple will upgrade its battery hours. And it's not even removeable? They just took off the casing.
Also, this is most likely a prototype! There is no way in God that Steve Jobs will let someone out with in the wild with the "final" product. That's why do "prototypes!" Example, when Apple was building the iPhone & its platforms, they had the software engineers and the hardware designers totally seperated. Even in different building. And when one team was working on a subject, each had some type of a fake like product. Like the software engineers were given a mock up of a touch screen phone, and the hardware team had a mock up of the software. Apple is really strict of products in the wild. No matter where you see this "finalized" iPhone, there is still some that are prototypes. That's for certain employees to hold on to for future and finalized products at the end.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi, welcome to to tipb.

But no, it's not a tester. Apple finishes the design by January, not to mention this is the very same phone seen in the ipad spyshots. It's definitely the final design. And if you look at the ipad, the iMac, and even the macbooks, this design makes the iPhone more cohesive with the whole product line. The only reason it looks slightly different is because they can't use aluminum on the back, so they made a glass back that is transparent to radio signals. It's flat so it can more easily lay on a table while you type or what have you. I think the design is beautiful. Don't forget there will also likely be a white version :)

Thanks for the welcome! I really am holding out for a "one last thing" on this one. It's not a bad design, but I'm really disappointed they didn't add a bigger screen. There are so many good user created mock ups out there that looked really interesting, and then all we get is..well, you've all seen it.
I might not get this iPhone and hold out until the next one unless it has a 1ghz processor. Then I'm fully on board. I just love the way the 3G/3GS looks.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! I really am holding out for a "one last thing" on this one. It's not a bad design, but I'm really disappointed they didn't add a bigger screen. There are so many good user created mock ups out there that looked really interesting, and then all we get is..well, you've all seen it.
I might not get this iPhone and hold out until the next one unless it has a 1ghz processor. Then I'm fully on board. I just love the way the 3G/3GS looks.

I am fairly certain this will have a custom-built Apple processor, likely at 1Ghz like the A4 in the iPad.. The thing about 1GHz is that, yes, it helps selling Android phones, but Apple builds their phones for a real performance experience, not a spec sheet. The iPhone 3GS performs really well at 600Mhz with 256MB of RAM, whereas Android phones do not perform anywhere near as well with those specs because Apple optimizes their hardware fully for the software.

Regarding screen size, Apple made the device smaller so that the screen is more easily accessible with one-handed use. They can't make the screen larger unless they go 16:9, which is harder to use with one hand and also would force developers to alter 200,000 applications to use the new screen.

The iPhone's screen is already really big. I thought I wanted a bigger screen as well but realizing Apple's dilemmas, the only way they could make it bigger without screwing over their devs, the phone would end up huge like the evo 4G.. And that's not something I want, as nice as it looks.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
..........Regarding screen size, Apple made the device smaller so that the screen is more easily accessible with one-handed use. They can't make the screen larger unless they go 16:9, which is harder to use with one hand and also would force developers to alter 200,000 applications to use the new screen............
The real measure of screen size is not dimensions but information, i.e., pixels. My understanding is that the dimensions of the screen in the new phone may be slightly smaller but that the resolution will be higher. Seems like a good trade-off to me.

The cost of a screen goes up exponentially with the number of pixels because the yield goes down. The more pixels, the greater the chances of a bad pixel and a reject.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The real measure of screen size is not dimensions but information, i.e., pixels. My understanding is that the dimensions of the screen in the new phone may be slightly smaller but that the resolution will be higher. Seems like a good trade-off to me.

The cost of a screen goes up exponentially with the number of pixels because the yield goes down. The more pixels, the greater the chances of a bad pixel and a reject.
Yes, and the dpi on the new screen is over 330dpi... That's more than print media (@300dpi). The screen is going to look like a moving, backlit magazine. I hope the screen is 24bit though so the blacks blend in more with the bezel.

And, by making the screen slightly smaller, they make the 320x480 apps look even sharper, so that developers don't even have to upgrade to 640x960 if it's not necessary for the app.

ryanwmurray

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a believer. I'm honestly very excited, as this will be my first iPhone purchase. I was going to buy the 3gs, but everyone says to wait, as the new one will be here soon, and is better in every way. Everything about it looks awesome, I know for sure I'll use the camera, WITH a flash, as I find inspiration hits me most often when I'm out late at night in a drunken state with my friends.

I'm very impatient. I want it now. Has a release date been specified for sure yet? I've heard rumours that they may release it as early as May, since the cat is already out of the bag and the leak was a complete mistake...