Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE:
Some of you are a little stuck in the past regarding articles. Please read the Engadget article, look at the January iPad spyshot very carefully. It is real.

Now that we are basically 90% sure that the leaked iPhone IS the next-gen iPhone G4, are you happy with the design?

Before you make your decision, here are the reasons I am overjoyed with the new design.

- Removable battery cover*
- Glass backing (yes that's right, the same un-scratchable glass that the screen is protected by, no more ridiculous scratches and dirt allover your back)**
- Beautiful aluminum siding.
- I liked the volume rocker too, but I think the introduction of these new buttons means they might be user-programmable.***
- Camera flash.
- Front-facing Camera.
- Hot-swappable MicroSIM, compatible with iPad and leaves more room for better components.****

Notes:
* You may wonder if production units will actually have a removable battery, because there is still an external SIM ejection mechanism. Why is this? Because the SIM slot and battery are too close together, and having to remove the battery would make it a drag to put your MicroSIM into your 3G iPad that Apple is hoping you will buy.

Update: Sources are now claiming the back is not meant to be removable by consumers. Still, it is definitely easier than it was previously and doesn't require a tutorial.

** Check out Update 2 on the engadget post:
iPhone 4G: proof -- Engadget
I'm incredibly excited about this. Sure it might smudge, but you can wipe that off with just about anything. Lets see you wipe off the scratches allover the back of your 3GS with your t-shirt... Ain't happening.

*** The reason I believe these buttons might be user-programmable is simply because it is no longer a Rocker. I think Apple didn't like the idea of the rocker being treated as two separate buttons, so they created this design solution so that it will not be awkward to use the programmable buttons. Also, we lost some functionality with iPhone OS 4.0, like home button programmability. For that reason, I believe this may be making up for that.

**** You might think: "No way, Apple and AT&T would never allow it", but let me put it to you this way. A lot of users might want to tether the iPad to their iPhone, however Apple knows AT&T isn't going to allow tethering any time soon. This is Apple's hardware solution to AT&T's hogging ways, and since the SIM is hot-swappable you will get an on-device 3G experience rather than a less reliable tethering experience which also drains your phone's battery. Apple knows you do not want to pay 2 bills for i-Internet, so this is their solution.

These are all just theories. You might think "This is not like Apple".. But just look at this phone. Look at how open the design has become, and these policies seem much more realistic. Apple is making a big change for the better. They want to silence the critics.

Update:
I find it hilarious how many people said "Indifferent". First of all, you're registered on The iPhone Blog Forums. Secondly, you clicked on this thread for a reason! Obviously you care. And if you clicked it because you believe this leak is fake, I don't know what I can say to you besides wait and see on June 22nd. haha. :p

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
WOAH WOAH WOAH

So far the pics have been proved a knock off since the creator said so

http://www.tipb.com/2010/04/18/images-iphone-4g-proved-fake/

So whats the real story?

That article is old and needs to be removed/updated further.

Read the engadget article I linked to, look at the spy shot of the iPad we got the day before its release. Not only is an iPhone (in a case) sitting atop the iPad with a noticeable front-facing cam, but there is also an iPhone (out of case) to the upper-right of the photo with a visible aluminum siding, and you can even see the circular buttons and the new silent switch. Look closely.

IT'S REAL.

Believe it.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@msm0511
iPhone designs are ALWAYS finalized by January. This is the final design. I think the only thing tha will change is the seems will be removed. It also may not end up having a removable back, but they seem to have built the insides quite beautifully for the back not to be removable.

My point though is that like it or not, this is the final design. Now I want to know if you... Like it or not! Haha :)

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The fact the design is finished by January (which it is) does not mean that is the final design.

First of all, just because the final design is finished by January, it does not mean that prototypes use that same design. Often, prototypes use cheaper, easier-to-remove-and-access-the-interior materials. The DESIGN is finalized by January. That does not mean that every single phone, even the ones used for testing, will be done on that design. Apple will actually use that design for when they actually SELL the iPhone. They haven't even announced it yet. Don't forget that design it's a theoric concept made real, but only widespread once for sale. As proof, look at the iPad in the same photograph. Can you identify it as an iPad prototype? Sure. Is it the same as the ones for sale? Hell no.

Finally, if that was the final design, then why does it have the weird logo? Shouldn't that be "real"? One could surely argue it was for secrecy. But if that is so - and Apple has a fame or being one of the tighest companies regarding that -, then all the remaining shell can be made up as well to cover the true design.

The pictures appear to be real. But being real =/= being our future product.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Exactly blues0003. Jon Gruber from daringfireball who is almost always right thinks it is a test unit not a production unit. Why would Apple forego their signature style completely for what is IMO a step backward design-wise.

I don't think it's hideous, but more Nokia than Apple. If this is the final unit I don't think I'll be upgrading.

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
I don't really care either. If it's ugly looking and I can swap out the battery, I will still buy it. Love to keep a couple of extra batteries on hand. Always had a couple of spares when I owned Blackberry. Don't always have access to a plug.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am on the fence about this possible final design. However I feel if it was the final design, Apple would be sending cease and desist letters to the websites. There are just a couple of things that are wrong with this prototype that make me believe that it is not a final design, but more of a tech demo unit of some sort. At a time when Apple is moving everything to non-user replaceable batteries, why take a step back on it? The seams also question it's authenticity.

I guess we'll find out when it's released late June/early July. I am hoping that this isn't the final design because it's ugly based upon these pics. However when I actually get to see one first hand and play with it, judgement may change.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If this were the final product or not I would not be shocked either way. But I like it a lot actually after the gizmodo shots. Pretty slick.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
4th Gen iPhone

So I'm talking to my friend today and he started telling me about the leaked images of the 4th gen iPhone:

This Is Apple's Next iPhone - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo
Apple's 4th-generation iPhone revealed -- Engadget

So the story first was that someone found it at a bar and took it back to endgadget. When I first saw it I thought it was a knockoff or it was just a hoax because the style is so different from the previous generations which have all been pretty close. Then I thought knowing Apple and their secrecy about their products Steve Jobs would find out who the employee was and look at him and he would spontaneously combust. However if you think about it, if they need to use a higher resolution screen and new hardware to stay with today's market and innovate they will need to change things. I looked at the pictures and I started to drool and now I'm hoping this is actually the 4th gen iPhone. Then I'm thinking this would be the best way to build hype so maybe Apple concerted the whole thing? especially after seeing the pictures of it being opened up. So what do you guys think about the whole story? the pictures? weigh in on it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I am seriously drooling over these pictures. Well like I did with the iPad when rumors started to swirl I have already started saving because in June if the 4th Gen iPhone looks like the pictures I WILL be getting on pronto.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Why would the screen size get smaller? That makes no sense.. And why did It say 80GB on the back over the weekend and XXGB today?

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This design is slowly growing on me. However I can't seem to get it out of my mind that Apple is going the opposite direction against non-user replaceable batteries with this possible model. Those seams also just don't seem like something Apple would do.

I will withhold final judgement until it is officially announced and I can have some hands on time. It's all about how the customer personally likes it right?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link never seen that. Yeah at first the design just made me go nope that's a hoax it just seemed so un-Apple like but the more I looked at it the finish and the gleam I was digging it. It just doesn't seem like Apple to leak it two months away though and for sure Apple's lawyers would be on the ball to get the images torn down from the website and the phone back. If this is it though I am so loving it and I'm getting one ASA it drops.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You guys are wrong.. Too lazy to quote everyone but actually the ipad on that table is exactly what was released. It was in a bolted to the table in a large metal enclosure, still the same ipad. Also, when we had a 3GS "prototype" and it looked just like the 3G people thought it wasn't the final design - guess what, it was.

This alone is proof enough that this is the final design, and honestly if you think this is a step backwards in design I question your taste. I find the 3GS to be incredibly ugly. Not only is this new design better looking, but it is more sturdy and a hell of a lot more accessible.

Just wait until June 22nd and you'll see exactly how right I am, and you'll be surprised how much better it looks when the seams are removed.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I hate to say but I really don't like it yet. I'm sure it will grow on me and it won't keep me from getting it when it comes out, but there is just something about that does not look as elegant as the 3GS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR