This past Thursday Apple held a developers preview of iPhone 4.0, and like many others I followed along via various live blogs that were taking place to disseminate the information. Later Apple posted its preview, which I watched that night.

While Apple provided me with almost every feature that I wanted except for a better notification system, I was left feeling like there should have been more. I wanted to be wowed by them, I wanted to be presented with a game changing update. I wanted more.

My fianc thinks I am being unreasonable. She kept asking me "what did you want them to do, what feature was going to wow you?"

I have been pondering that question for the last few days. I have been trying to decide what it was that I wanted, what feature set would have made me say wow. The truth of the matter is that I can't think of anything. At least not anything that would mesh with the iPhone. If Apple was releasing a new operating system then maybe there could have been something that would have wowed me. However, that's not the case. They have to work within the constrains of an existing system.

As a technology enthusiast, I want the latest and greatest. I want features, I want to be able to customize my device. I want to be able to do more than what the engineers at Apple intended for the iPhone. Yet when I step back and look at it from the standpoint of the "average" end user, someone like my father, who at 63 thinks his computer hates him, I come to a different conclusion. I am wowed.

Just the other day, a co-worker of mine purchased a Palm Pre at my behest since she is on Verizon and could not switch to AT&T. In the process of helping her setup her device, I came to appreciate just how simple the iPhone is. The user doesn't have to try to figure out that there is a menu to view the settings within an application, and that to access it you have to hit the top left corner. To delete something doesn't require several steps, you just hold down the app till it wiggles and hit the X. Does it get any easier than that?

In our office here, we have two Palm Pre's, several Android phones, some iPhones and a lot of Blackberry's. Almost everyone comes to me for help, somehow I have become the smartphone guru. One thing that I have noticed time and time again is that most end users don't utilize their phones to the fullest.

Most don't know the little idiosyncrasies of the operating system that they are using. I find that aside from the most basic features most end users never delve deeper into the settings of the phones. I know that not a single person in my office has read the manual that came with their phone, and can only assume that the same holds true for the rest of the worlds population.

Recently I was contemplating a switch to a new phone and in my research was considering trying out Android. Google has been investing heavily in developing a robust, powerful system, one that I would be able to tweak. Something that I would not be bored with due to its newness and ability to customize it heavily. So, I went to the HTC website to view the phones that they are developing with Android as an OS and I downloaded a manual and started to read it, all of it. All 211 pages. Whew.

Now talk about a powerful OS. There are so many features, so many things you can do with the phone to customize it to your liking. You can go with the strait Google experience or you can use HTC's Sense technology. You can create widgets, different home screens, depending on if you are at work or home. The amount of things you can set is almost mind boggling. So, I went to the various Android users in my office and the offices around here, and the one most common trait that I found is that every one of the users was using the preloaded widgets, and settings. Not a single one of them had changed what was given them.

When I told them they could, they were all surprised and amazed at what could be done with there phones. So, I left them to customize, and told them that if they had questions they could come find me. After a week or so I followed up and to my surprise, not a single one of them did anything with their phones. If it were me, I would have changed so many settings, I would have made the phone work for me. I would have downloaded apps that would have made my phone more powerful and useful.

Which brings me to my point. Did Apple really just get it right? Did they look at us "power" users and tell us that if we wanted to customize, we should go elsewhere. They control the user experience down to the most minuet detail, they force developers to conform to their system, to make their applications work and look the way Apple wants them to. They made a phone that anyone could pick up and use, one that was simple in the most basic of ways.

Maybe we should all be wowed by what they have accomplished. When I look at the iPhone users, most of them have tons of apps loaded on their phones, if the stats are right, the average iPhone user downloads 10.5 apps per month. I'm sure most of the apps, are only used for a short period of time, or to accomplish a specific task and are then discarded. However, they are using their phones, and I believe its because the OS is just that easy to use.

I guess you can say that after a week of pondering, I am wowed.
    04-14-2010 11:49 AM
    I have a different take... there is just nothing to be wowed about in 4.0. Not because they got it right and are the end all of smartphones, but because they did not introduce anything new to the market that people didn't already have.

Multitasking - Everybody but apple has this.
    Unified inbox - Everybody but apple has this.
    iBook -Kindle, nook, any 3rd party reader software nothing new here
    Folders - Everybody but apple has this.
    iAds - We already get enough adds in some form, other than apple making money consumers don't need this.
    Game center - Nintendo DS / xBox / PS3 does this. New to a phone, yes, new technology NO.
    iBook -Kindle, nook, nothing new here
    Enterprise features - Catching up with 2005 blackberrys

Now no one has everything above all in 1 place so it is impressive as a package but they did not introduce anything new to the market. The iPhone was revolutionary, a big WOW, the 4.0 update is the big catch-up with the rest of the technology options out there.

Hopefully the new hardware will give us a WOW but I dont see anything revolutionary in this release.
    04-14-2010 12:24 PM
    tut00... interesting post. I don't completely agree with you, but generally I get what you're saying.

Jerry-O... sorry you can't see the potential in OS 4, and sorry you came away from the presentation with such a short-sighted list. But hey, not everyone can see beyond the surface, and obviously not everyone will be satisfied.
    04-14-2010 12:38 PM
    Jerry-O... But if you look at what you said. There is no one phone that has all of this. So in a way, yes it is wowing. But even if not, I guess, I am wondering... What would have wowed you? I cant' come up with something that would have wowed me?
    04-14-2010 01:02 PM
    Jerry-O... But if you look at what you said. There is no one phone that has all of this. So in a way, yes it is wowing. But even if not, I guess, I am wondering... What would have wowed you? I cant' come up with something that would have wowed me?
    i've been using 4.0 beta for a few days now, and one thing i can say is the multi-tasking, so far, isn't as amazing as i first thought it would be. granted, it's still in the beta phase, but when i'm using my current apps, and switching between others, the app works the same as if i had gone home then re-lauched it. it's not picking back up where it left off like in the keynote. another thing is tethering still isn't available, i know this is an att issue, but jesus, they said that it would be available shortly after the 3Gs came out in june. another thing about 4.0 is the software, while new, didn't introduce the user anything new, (like push notifications did with 3.0) what i think apple really missed was a new notification system that filtered all alerts into a single pane, kinda like facebook does when you get multiple notices. it pops up very subtlety and not like *BOOM NOTIFICATION* every time you get an alert. but i'm looking forward to seeing what hardware updates will be out in a month at the WWDC. i guess only time will tell.
    04-14-2010 01:10 PM
    You do realize that no apps currently take advantage of OS 4, right?
    04-14-2010 01:17 PM
    Well, i've always known the iphone is meant for the average consumer. That's Apple's focus. Advertise as if they know nothing..because frankly..they don't. Don't assume they're that techie.

That does not appeal to me usually. It's like having AOL again when it first came out. And i've had smartphones for years.

But..what the iphone does do, it does well. It just works. It's speedy. I've got access to almost any kind of media. I've got access to all kinds of high quality apps...which often come to the iphone first, sometimes they're iphone exclusive. I don't need to customize the looks of it. I did jailbreak to get some must have features like multitasking.

So in that regard, i look past being able to have every feature that android or whoever may have. Even looking past all that, it's still not hard to get your hopes up and be disappointed with the next version. That disappointment though quickly fades as you realize the key reasons for getting an iphone are still key reasons for staying with it. That it just works, is speedy, has the apps, media, etc. Features like copy n paste were nailed. The browsing is just smooth. Even the video recorder. The ipod part of it has no equal in the smartphone market.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04-14-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    04-14-2010 01:23 PM
    cardfan... I forgot to mention about the music and ease of getting your media onto the device. I agree with looking at other platforms, but none really seem to compete with the iPhone in speed, and ease of use. It just works and works very well.
    04-14-2010 01:28 PM
    You do realize that no apps currently take advantage of OS 4, right?
    i was actually referring to the 4.0 apps like photos, phone, safari, ipod..
    04-14-2010 01:28 PM
    You mean the ones that already ran in the background?
    04-14-2010 02:06 PM
    You all are a bunch of tough nuts to crack.
    04-14-2010 03:22 PM
    As already pointed out, some of these already run in the background. Regardless, there is no reason to think that Apple has background enabled all of their applications, or that all of their applications will run in the background, or that anything is even finalized, considering you are not running the final version of the OS.

You may want to wait... just a bit... before coming down on an OS that is still being written. There is plenty going on under the hood of the new OS that has yet to be fully utilized. The real star of the show will be third-party apps that take advantage of the new hooks in the OS. That's what I'm most excited about.
    Last edited by ifonline; 04-14-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    04-14-2010 03:25 PM
    Wow is subjective. It's up to each individual user to determine what wow means to them. Some probably associate it with Warcraft. To wow me, it needs to be something that no one has done before. Unfortunately, there isn't anything Apple can do phone related that will wow me. I may be excited about a feature here and there, but the world wow doesn't come to mind.
    04-14-2010 04:35 PM
    What would have wowed you?
    This is the million dollar question... I cant answer what would have wowed me because it would take something innovative that no one has done before, or at least not in a phone.

I was wowed when LG came out with their new cell phone projector phone recently... it was something new and innovative

How about a laser projected keyboard integraded into the phone, that would be a WOW for me.

WOW is not impossible, it is just not here.

04-15-2010 08:28 AM
    How about a laser projected keyboard integraded into the phone, that would be a WOW for me.
    your Wow is 20 years in the future, so if your iPhone doubled as a light saber that would of wow'd me, wait for the reason to upgrade from a 3gs, then see if you are wow'd
    04-15-2010 06:23 PM
    I'd be wowed if I never ever had to see another complaint that amounted to, "How come OS 4.0 won't wipe my butt for me?"

I mean, come on kids. We got the best phone made - hands down! There's not a single phone that can top the iPhone right now. It collectively takes a Droid, Hero, Pre, Incredible all together to topple the 1 iPhone. That should speak volumes.

Wow me and appreciate what you have while sitting on top of the world. Who knows how long this reign will last.
    04-15-2010 06:54 PM
    Im new to iPhones but Im pretty sure Im wowed
    04-15-2010 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD