What features are missing from iPhone OS 4.0?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What features are missing from iPhone OS 4.0? (MOCKUPS!)

I've taken the time to mockup the features that I think are sorely missed on the new iPhone OS 4.0 (at least missed at introduction).

So far I have done a series of images depicting a revamped push notification system, adhering to Apple's new multitasking and folder UI elements. I think it looks great, and Apple could probably implement this in one day if they actually used their own devices and realized how damn useful this would be.

First, you have the dormant notification bar on the home screen. Then, you tap, and it opens!
not_dormant.jpg
not_open.jpg

Here's what it would look like when a notification comes in-app (note the red button - close and delete notification, green button - ignore for now).
not_inapp.jpg

Revisions: llofte noticed that the solution blocks out the use of the fourth row of icons, I hadn't thought of that since I personally don't use that row.
In this revision, I move the location of the tray to the status bar:
statusbarnot_revision1.jpg

I know there's other features I'm forgetting, let me know what else you'd like to see mock'd up! :D

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I like it. But I don't like how a row of apps are gone.

Oh, you know I didn't take that into a consideration! I just happen to like a space between my icons and my dock.

I think it could appear under the dock instead and push it up.. maybe I'll do an image like that as well. But I think either way it's going to displace something. Damn, that sucks.

Ooh, maybe it could show as a double-thick status bar. I just hate the time being covered up. I'll try some other stuff out and post more images.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if they would do something like that, doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Steve would never let it fly. I wouldn't mind of they just made a notification app. Just make an icon and put badges on it, when I tap it brings up a list of all notifications in order and clicking on one launches the app it came from etc.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if they would do something like that, doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Steve would never let it fly. I wouldn't mind of they just made a notification app. Just make an icon and put badges on it, when I tap it brings up a list of all notifications in order and clicking on one launches the app it came from etc.

There are apps like that that consolidate notifications.. I think that's a horrible idea. You still have to open an app... It's not very elegant or accessible.

I donno, I could see Apple implementing something like this just because of the folders and the multitasking tray that they've just implemented, which behave exactly like this.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
This wouldn't really be an app but a system thing, the icon happens to look like an app.

Those ones in the app store aren't really anything worth having.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
This wouldn't really be an app but a system thing, the icon happens to look like an app.

Those ones in the app store aren't really anything worth having.
It could work but it would still have the same aesthetic as the folders. I think it's a better idea to make it separate from icons though so that it is constant on all pages.

Speedv1

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Why don't they just use the top panel to show main notifications.. I mean for major icons (mail, messages, phone) and maybe a (or several) 'user selected' icon(s) (like ping, facebook, etc) they should have the usual popup but also display an icon. I mean looking at my iPhone right now, they could EASILY fit 3 icons between the clock symbol and the actual time - so the majors should be covered. Perhaps have user selected to the left of the actual time then..

Just a thought.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Why don't they just use the top panel to show main notifications.. I mean for major icons (mail, messages, phone) and maybe a (or several) 'user selected' icon(s) (like ping, facebook, etc) they should have the usual popup but also display an icon. I mean looking at my iPhone right now, they could EASILY fit 3 icons between the clock symbol and the actual time - so the majors should be covered. Perhaps have user selected to the left of the actual time then..

Just a thought.

notifier does that via jailbreak, and it's quite useful. But I'm sure apple has seen that and they are obviously not interested or they wouldve done it by now, at least for the main functions. I think they are scared of cluttering the tiny status bar.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'd have to agree, that looks awesome. I really wish Apple would revamp the notification system. :(

That's the only thing that really bothers me that I didn't get in 4.0 - I don't know if maybe they haven't announced anything because it would out new hardware, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd have to agree, that looks awesome. I really wish Apple would revamp the notification system. :(

That's the only thing that really bothers me that I didn't get in 4.0 - I don't know if maybe they haven't announced anything because it would out new hardware, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

I know! Hopefully with the new animations and behaviours Apple has introduced, Jailbreak developers can figure out a way to do this. It's definitely possible because the slide-up from bottom behaviour is introduced with the multitasking pane, and the expand-and-separate home screen behaviour is introduced with the folders function.

If I had developing skills I'd make it myself.. @_@

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I know! Hopefully with the new animations and behaviours Apple has introduced, Jailbreak developers can figure out a way to do this. It's definitely possible because the slide-up from bottom behaviour is introduced with the multitasking pane, and the expand-and-separate home screen behaviour is introduced with the folders function.

If I had developing skills I'd make it myself.. @_@

I guess I just don't understand why Apple doesn't quit being dumb and do it. It's something people have been begging for, and their current notification system is weak, ever since push notifications. I also have never liked how the phone only dings once when you get an email, and you can't customize that noise to be any louder, or be a different noise. For some people (like me), e-mails are pretty important (more so than a text - who most of those come from friends, where e-mails come from work and my boss, lol) - I'd like to have an easier way to see my e-mails.

I love the iPhone and I won't use a different phone, but I just wish the notification system wasn't so poor. Most of my complaints are wrapped around that. Just give me an LED or SOMETHING Apple. If they'd do that, I would at least see I have missed something. Hopefully in new hardware. I'm really hoping, like I said, some features were not announced or given to developers yet as it would out features of new hardware. I'm not quite sure how a new notification system would out new hardware, but I'll keep hoping. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh